Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libraries and the Internet

Options
  • 05-01-2004 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I have posted separately about my missing sister-in-law .

Attracta is a retired librarian. Most, if not all libraries in the UK now have online access and the Library service in Northern Ireland have started a project to have her photo displayed in every library in Northern Ireland and possibly the UK mainland with a member of staff available to guide people onto the website about her disappearance

We would like the same campaign to take place in the South, but we are struggling to find a central point of contact for this, or even to identify how many libraries even have Net access.

Anyone any knowledge of this ? <snip> ...comments not justified... </snip>

Martin Harran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Try here Martin.

There is pretty good connectivity in most Irish libraries (and there has been national funding for this I seem to remember).
    Perhaps the fact that libraries are a local authority responsibility makes it harder to acheive co-ordination but the association should be able to help....

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Thanks, vinny

Someone else from a newsgroup has already pointed me to a portal site for libaries in Ireland , which is run by An Chomhairle Leabharlanna, the state agency for public libraries and library co-operation

We're hoping to set something up through them as most libraries do indeed have Internet access...mind you, if anyone has a pesonal contact in there, it would be a great help.

Martin

Advertisement