Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XDA with SpeakEasy - GPRS connection

Options
  • 05-01-2004 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm have a bit of trouble trying to get connected over GPRS with a SpeakEasy (pay as you go) XDA. I can browse just fine over GSM but it's a smidge on the slow side.

From reading the stickies and playing around with my son's O2 X1 I was able to set the correct APN (pp.wap.o2.ie). When I set it off to do an autoconfigure it was setting the APN to 'internet'. Now that I've got that much going, I can connect but that's about it. Any attempt to browse results in 'The page you are looking for cannot be found'. I thought it might be something to do with a DNS server not being configured correctly so I tried FTP using an IP address but that also came back with the same. So now I'm suspecting the default gateway isn't configured properly. I've yet to try pinging but I suspect I'll get the same result.

Not looking for an answer here (would be nice!) but I'm not too familiar with PPC 2002/GPRS so I'm not sure what to look for. Just wondering if anyone can suggest how I can investigate this further.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

when using the WAP APN on the XDA you need to use the EzWAP browser (installed when the autoconfig applicaiton is run), it should be in the Programs screen

this requires you to use the pp.wap.o2.ie access point, and check the config the WAP settings in the EzEWAP browser itself (should be set-up ok automatically), i.e. the WAP Gateway and the homepage to use when conecting

select the WAP settings
    o2_speakeasy_xda_wap_setup_1.gif

edit APN to the Speakeasy WAP access point
    o2_speakeasy_xda_wap_setup_2.gif

open ExWAP settings and check the right Connection is being used
    o2_speakeasy_xda_wap_setup_3.gif

check the Gateway IP and Port
    o2_speakeasy_xda_wap_setup_4.gif

connect and browse WAP content
    o2_speakeasy_xda_wap_setup_5.gif

the alternative is to connect to their Internet ISP access point pp.internet (calling 1740 should get you set up) and use the built in Pocket IE and Outlook (although expensive on prepay GPRS tarrifs), however it's has been acting up for me recently - or the GSM Dial-up, but that is very slow

BrianG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

how did you manage to get an XDA on speakeasy?

was it sim-free? and how much did it set you back?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Don't want to drag this off-topic but I've got a techno-slut of a cousin who handed it down to me SIM-free.

Back to the plot though ...

Brian,
    I tried the EzWAP browser and it seemed to work! Terrific :) But it seems that, as soon as I leave the portal to visit another site I get an error message saying that it cannot connect to the webserver. The exact message fails me and I'm out of credit until I top up so I can't reproduce it readily. It looks like you're on the right track though!

Advertisement