Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mega **Management Company** thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Heh, and you would have thought it should be simple just to live in your own house.

The OP lives in an apt, not a house. :D

It's also nice to have a direct vote, at the AGM, for how your money is spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Paulw wrote: »
    The OP lives in an apt, not a house. :D
    Ah yeah, I can see the value for apartments, although really they should only have supplementary organisations to assist the local authority. Also the argument could be made that the local authority shouldn't give the go-ahead to accommodation that they were unable to service. Then again, they would have a lot more money to spend if they didn't blow it all on buying overpriced properties at market values.
    It's also nice to have a direct vote, at the AGM, for how your money is spent.
    Well, enjoy spending your money and paying your taxes, and I'll enjoy paying my taxes.

Well, enjoy spending your money and paying your taxes, and I'll enjoy paying my taxes.

I think you really view the issue as simple.

You pay your taxes, then you pay water rates, then you pay refuse collection, then you pay for building insurance, you pay for all the building repairs you need, never mind other services.

I simply pay a management fee, which covers all of those things, and more.

I'm sure if you worked every detail out, there would be very little difference in the end.

I'm not FOR management companies, but I live under one that is well run and well organised, and I can certainly see the benefit of it all. I weighed up all my options before I bought and I'm happy with where I am.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It varies from Management Company to Management Company. In our case the Management Charges *do not* cover refuse, water rates etc etc- but does cover exterior building repairs, painting etc. Sewage, plumbing etc- even where shared, are not necessarily the responsibility of the Management Company either. I learnt that the hard-way- standing over a manhole at 2AM in the morning trying to get sewage blockages cleared....... :mad:

True, every management company is different, in the same way that management fees are different too, depending on the services supplied.

I find our fees very reasonable, especially after reading through the thread on fees. We haven't had a fee increase in 3 years, but may need to do so this year, due to inflation.

Our fees vary from €750 for a 1 bed apt to €1450 for a 4 bed duplex (no houses in our development), and we have a central courtyard with parking and a playground.

• Advertisement

You pay your taxes, then you pay water rates, then you pay refuse collection, then you pay for building insurance, you pay for all the building repairs you need, never mind other services.
    I don't pay water rates, €4 a week in refuse collection is something I would deem fair, building insurance is very reasonable, and I don't make a habit of damaging buildings so repair on them comes to approximately nil.
    I guarantee you pay a lot more in your management fees than I do for non-tax related expenses.
    I'm sure if you worked every detail out, there would be very little difference in the end.
    You would be badly mistaken.
    I weighed up all my options before I bought and I'm happy with where I am.
    Thats great, but I still say management companies devalue properties.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thats great, but I still say management companies devalue properties.

I'd have to agree with you. Everything else being equal- a property is probably worth 15-20% less if its a longterm lease with a Management Company, than a freehold property.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

smccarrick wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with you. Everything else being equal- a property is probably worth 15-20% less if its a longterm lease with a Management Company, than a freehold property.

hmm, based on what data? Not being smart as I've wondered this point too never saw any data on it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Are/can apartments ever be sold freehold?

For apartment blocks, MC's are essential, and can add value if they are run efficiently, for housing estates (i.e. semi detached, deteched, terraced houses where each owner has their own plot), then the residents should try and get it handed over to the council as quickly as possible.

On the other hand (and blowing a hole in smc's theory of low value), private, gated estates would effectively be run by a MC to run the common area's, ensure the road is up to scratch, ,maintain the electric gates etc., and would usually carry a premium over non private gated estates (although the properties themselves would usually be on their own freehold land, and the common property, being jointly owned rather than on a long lease).

astrofool wrote: »
    Are/can apartments ever be sold freehold?

Not as far as I know. Mostly because you can't "own" space. You can only own ground property. I could be wrong though.
    For apartment blocks, MC's are essential, and can add value if they are run efficiently, for housing estates (i.e. semi detached, deteched, terraced houses where each owner has their own plot), then the residents should try and get it handed over to the council as quickly as possible.

On the other hand (and blowing a hole in smc's theory of low value), private, gated estates would effectively be run by a MC to run the common area's, ensure the road is up to scratch, ,maintain the electric gates etc., and would usually carry a premium over non private gated estates (although the properties themselves would usually be on their own freehold land, and the common property, being jointly owned rather than on a long lease).

Totally true and correct. A well run MC is an asset for the development, especially for apartments.

I do agree that housing estates with houses should be handed over to the council.

I bought my place because I wanted an apt, and didn't want a house. I understood the workings of management companies, and do belive that when well run they can help.

To each their own, but it certainly helps to understand the workings of a management company and what your obligations are.

• Advertisement

On the other hand (and blowing a hole in smc's theory of low value), private, gated estates would effectively be run by a MC to run the common area's, ensure the road is up to scratch, ,maintain the electric gates etc.
    When you consider the quantity of those estates in comparison to the overall housing stock, thats very much a niche market I would say. People that wanted to live in places like that might well be perfectly happy paying a premium. I certainly wouldn't live in a gated estate myself, for many reasons, not just management fees.

Any other housing estates (the vast majority) with management companies are at a massive disadvantage when it comes to sales.
    Totally true and correct. A well run MC is an asset for the development, especially for apartments.
    I can't really argue with the apartments end of things, except to say that maybe management companies in apartments should be a supplementary organisation to the local authority, so that they don't abrogate their responsibilities entirely. And they will, given half a chance.

Even those fees you were toting as "low" there Paul, for a four bed duplex come to almost €30,000 over 20 years, and thats definetely index linked, so inflation won't reduce it. Thats a steep price to pay for what should be lower cost high density housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

my inconsiderate neighbours have gone off for 2 weeks holiday and have left their alarm clock go off every night at 3am for 1hr. Since the master bedrooms are on opposite sides of the adjoining wall, its like its in my room.
    They have also not left a key with any neighbours as they are strange and their house alarm is also going off inside for the full 24hrs. Apart from strangling them when they get back, is there anything I can do in the meantime? :mad:

We don't want to have to sleep with ear plugs as we have 2 small kids.

I doubt they're inconsiderate. They obviously forgot to turn their alarm clock off. Happened to me before (I forgot to turn mine off).

As for their house alarm going off, I doubt they planned to have the alarm go off. Something obviously set it off. Did you look around the outside of the house to see if there were any signs of a break-in? Did you alert the Gardai that the alarm had gone off?

It's a very unfortunate case. Not much you can do about it though.

Maybe next time you could be more friendly with your neighbours, and offer to mind the place when they go away. That way you would have keys and access to turn off alarms.

While it's very annoying and disturbing for you, it's not like they planned it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Legislation only insists that outside alarm switch off after 15 - 20 min iirc. Nothing governs internal alarms.

Its crap but it looks like you'll just have tp put up with it, Guards will not be able to do anything. Like Paulw says, forge a relationship with your neighbours to ensure that this situation doesn't occur again.

I doubt they're inconsiderate. They obviously forgot to turn their alarm clock off. Happened to me before (I forgot to turn mine off).

As for their house alarm going off, I doubt they planned to have the alarm go off. Something obviously set it off. Did you look around the outside of the house to see if there were any signs of a break-in? Did you alert the Gardai that the alarm had gone off?

It's a very unfortunate case. Not much you can do about it though.

Maybe next time you could be more friendly with your neighbours, and offer to mind the place when they go away. That way you would have keys and access to turn off alarms.

While it's very annoying and disturbing for you, it's not like they planned it that way.

if you knew them, then you would know that I know for a fact they did it on purpose. Not the first time either. Nobody in their house gets up at 3am.

As for offering to take the key, they have relatives who live behind and they dont have a key (supposedly) as they said they didn't need to give it to anyone as the alarm was armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    if you knew them, then you would know that I know for a fact they did it on purpose. Not the first time either. Nobody in their house gets up at 3am.

As for offering to take the key, they have relatives who live behind and they dont have a key (supposedly) as they said they didn't need to give it to anyone as the alarm was armed.

I wonder could a broken window be setting off the alarm?

If that was my neighnour I'd say there'd be a broken window setting it off... if you know what I mean!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

It is possible that they had to get up at 3am on the day they went on holidays and forgot to turn off the clock. Unless you have a seriously bad relationship with them, I don't see them doing this deliberately!

As regards the alarm, I was once in their situation too - I went away for 3 weeks and the alarm went off - caused by a spider apparently, and my brother who was supposed to be checking for post didn't bother his ass until two days before I came back. I was mortified, my neighbour was livid and rightly so. I bought him a bottle of whiskey, apologised profusely and we agreed that we would give each other a key when we were going to be away, and that was that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Are you in an apartment block? If so can you call the management company and see if they will deal with it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Are you in an apartment block? If so can you call the management company and see if they will deal with it?
    Unlikely. All they can do is ring up the owner and inform them. The management company probably can't disable the alarm themselves as many apartment blocks leave an alarm system optional and up to the individual apartment owner to arrange an installation. That's how it is in my place, as I discovered when one of my neighbours had their alarm go off for two days.

It is possible that they had to get up at 3am on the day they went on holidays and forgot to turn off the clock.
    they didn't
    Unless you have a seriously bad relationship with them, I don't see them doing this deliberately!
    its frosty at the best of times....
    Miss Fluff wrote: »

nope, semi d

• Advertisement

ok gloves are off....a key holder has been spotted in next door all week opening & closing blinds but during that time they never turned off the alarm. The same key holder was asked 6 days ago had they a key and they said No.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    ok gloves are off....a key holder has been spotted in next door all week opening & closing blinds but during that time they never turned off the alarm. The same key holder was asked 6 days ago had they a key and they said No.
    Take a photo of them in the house, and report them to the Gardai?

the_syco wrote: »
    Take a photo of them in the house, and report them to the Gardai?

Report them for what? Having an alarm that sounds? I doubt the Gardai can/will be able to do anything.

I gather the OP is talking about the alarm clock still going off? These normally only go off for an hour and then reset themselves. Maybe every time the keyholder enters the property, the alarm isn't sounding, so they aren't fully aware of the issue.

One can only speculate. Ultimately, the only people will the full answer are the home owners.

Maybe every time the keyholder enters the property, the alarm isn't sounding, so they aren't fully aware of the issue.

they were aware of the issue on the first morning after they left as my wife called around to let them know about it, but told us they had no key and left it keep going off for 5 nights....:mad::mad:

muppets are back today anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ther really is only one answer now and that is to slip them in a note saying how you were woken from your sleep each night by their alarm and you "sincerely" hope that they will be able to sleep "just in case" you forget to to turn off your Ghettoblaster alarm when you go on holidays.:cool:

Ther really is only one answer now and that is to slip them in a note saying how you were woken from your sleep each night by their alarm and you "sincerely" hope that they will be able to sleep "just in case" you forget to to turn off your Ghettoblaster alarm when you go on holidays.:cool:

that just gives them something to prepare for....I like surprises;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

These things can escalate. Write a letter saying please in future ensure someone is available to reset/check your alarm if it goes off and leave it at that. If it happens again get council noise pollution crowd involved or civil legal action.

These things can escalate. Write a letter saying please in future ensure someone is available to reset/check your alarm if it goes off and leave it at that. If it happens again get council noise pollution crowd involved or civil legal action.

that would be the sensible thing to do.......;)

we'll see what mood I'm in next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If the keyholder is the relative who 'lives behind' why not physically call
    around to them each night and ring their doorbell at 3 in the morn when
    the alarm clock goes off? If they know you've seen them visit your
    neighbours house during the day they can hardly continue denying they
    have a key.

Maybe if their sleep is disturbed as much as yours is each night they might
    have an incentive to disable it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

What is purpose of an alarm clock?