Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mega **Management Company** thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

you are entitled to view the meter as well as ESB personnel. The lock on this is wrong and should be changed. The main reason for estimated is that the people who go around and read the meter if they can't access they put it in as estimated. Therefore the bill payer should be able to access and read the meter. Tell ESB by letter that the meter is locked and give them details of the management company etc... It needs to be unlocked - how does an ESB maintenance guy get access. Also if ESB say it seems very high perhaps you are submetered from the main meter? When you get access confirm that the meter number and the one on the account are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    The lock on this is wrong and should be changed.

That's my exact thought. It's a silly idea! I'm just wondering if I have a "right" by law to have access to this? I wonder if anyone knows. I'm awaiting a callback from Management Company, I got in touch with the ESB as you suggested so we'll see what they have to say. I'm sure the other residents in the block have the same issue, I must ask one of them!

I'd say the reading is high, as the first 3 readings were when nobody lived in the apartment, then the last 4 have been estimated (based on the usage before anyone was living there)

Clock is ticking! Management Companies!!!! Anyone actually get any satisfaction from them!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

You should definitely be able to access the meter. I'd say the builders put that lock in, and I wouldn't be surprised if every tenant is supposed to get a copy of the key.

In my building, the meters are inside a room with a lock, and a combination. The lock is opened by the same key as the main door. I rang the Management Company and they gave me the combination over the phone.

Perhaps try the original builders if you know who they are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

tbh i don't think the ESB are doing their part to help, the meter is THEIR property, it's in their best interest to have access to it! But if other apartments are having the same problem you should call a meeting to try get the management company to sort the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

tbh i don't think the ESB are doing their part to help, the meter is THEIR property, it's in their best interest to have access to it! But if other apartments are having the same problem you should call a meeting to try get the management company to sort the problem.

Just to clarify, you'll need to contact ESB Networks, and ask them to put the skids under the mgt co to remove the lock.
    They are not the same as ESB Supply, the company that you pay your bills to.

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/home/index.jsp
    ESB Networks is the owner and operator of the electricity distribution network in the Republic of Ireland. As the licensed Distribution System Operator (DSO) we are responsible for constructing, operating and maintaining all the sub-transmission, medium and low voltage electricity network infrastructure in the country. This includes responsibility, as Meter Operator, for the installation, maintenance and reading of all electricity meters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 niamhfoley

I just bought an aparmtent this year in stepaside and last week our management company sent around a letter to all saying from this week they were suspending the folloeing services due to lack of funds
    waste removal
    ground maintenance
    ESB
    BLock insurance and public liability..

Can they do this to everyone if I am fully paid up with my fees..but others are not

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No mun = no fun.

Get on to them, the most important thing is the insurance. Also talk to your insurance broker if you need to set up insurance in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

niamhfoley wrote: »
    I just bought an aparmtent this year in stepaside and last week our management company sent around a letter to all saying from this week they were suspending the folloeing services due to lack of funds
    waste removal
    ground maintenance
    ESB
    BLock insurance and public liability..

Can they do this to everyone if I am fully paid up with my fees..but others are not

I've known for these letters to be sent out as a 'shock tactic' in order to push outstanding accounts to be paid.

Check with the management agent as to the actual situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Hi guys,

My wife and I are living next door to a rented house. Long story short. Owner went off to Oz 2 years ago and left a management company in charge. I have no idea what company or any contact number for the owner or his family. Is there any way i can find out this info? Does the house have to be registered with the council if being rented? There is one management company in my area so it could be them but I don't know if they'll divulge that sort of info if I ask.

Have had several tenants since the owner moved out and had no major problems.

Some new tenants have just moved in over the last few weeks and already they are generating a fair bit of noise and its starting to really p*** us off. There are approximately 4 eastern europeans and they have friends visiting all of the time who almost fill the road with their cars.

What way should I approach this? Assuming I found out who the management company was, should I deal with them when lodging a complaint? How likely are they to take me seriously if we are the only ones to complain? I get the feeling none of the other neighbours will complain because they have the typical Irish attitude of keeping their heads down to avoid any confrontation. Don't get me wrong, I am not a hot-headed individual but I just want to be able to relax when I come home from a hard days work without worrying about how high the level of noise is going to be from next door:)

All feedback appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 glynngo

we have a similar prob.
    we live in a 5 bed detached in a quiet cul de sac.
    BEHIND us is two houses full of tenants sharing.
    They are ok through the week but at weekends the parties and outside barbeques go one from 9pm to 9am literally.
    A few of our neighbours all phone the guards when the get noisy, and they get a warning.
    some eveingngs they start fighting and my kids wake up scared.
    Next time i am somehow finding out where the landlord lives, and am gonna go round to his house and turn on my car stereo at 5am.
    He'll get the point.

• Advertisement

Have you spoken to the residents?
    livEwirE wrote: »
    Is there any way i can find out this info? Does the house have to be registered with the council if being rented?
    I think they do, but talk to the PRTB. www.prtb.ie
    There is one management company in my area so it could be them but I don't know if they'll divulge that sort of info if I ask.
    Talk to them, at worst they'll say "we can't tell you" (which probably means "yes").
    Some new tenants have just moved in over the last few weeks and already they are generating a fair bit of noise and its starting to really p*** us off.
    Their home is their castle, they can do what they like within reason. you can make a noise complaint to the council Environmental Department.
    they have friends visiting all of the time who almost fill the road with their cars.
    Its perfectly normal to have friends visit. Once the cars are parked legally, they are perfectly entitled to park there.
    What way should I approach this? Assuming I found out who the management company was, should I deal with them when lodging a complaint? How likely are they to take me seriously if we are the only ones to complain?
    Talk to the residents, if you have no success, then go to the agent / landlord though whatever route you can find them.

Thanks for the advice Victor!

Sorry to hear about your troubles glynngo, hope it gets sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 niamhfoley

Thanks guys will do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 puremeteor

Folks,
    I am really at my wits end and my posting this query here hoping that I will get some suggestions here.

We(myself and my wife) are renting a 4-th floor apartment in city centre. We signed the lease and moved in 3 months back. When we viewed the flat we noticed that the lifts were not working. Since it is a common thing for lifts to be out of order but usually fixed in a day or two I did not think much of it. 3 months' later the lifts are still out of order. When I checked with the property management company they said that it is going to cost them about 30k euro to fix the lifts and they don't have the money for it. Apparently they are chasing the landlords to get this money. I contacted my landlord(who has been very co-operative till date) and he said that he has been talking to the property management company but there's nothing much he can do. When I last phoned the property management company they said that they are "working on it" and that if I had so much of an issue I should move out. It wouldn't have been much of an issue in usual circumstances but my wife is pregnant and it is causing her exhaustion climbing up and down the stairs. In any case 3 months is just ridiculous amount of time to get the lifts fixed!!

Is there anything at all I can do here as a tenant. Initial contact with threshold.ie indicates that as a tenant my rights are very limited here.
    Both of us really like the flat and we don't really want to move again at this stage. Moreover there might be issues if we break the lease at this point.

yet another example of property management companies taking tenants for a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

move out - the last thing you want is your heavily pregnant missus hoofing it up 4 flights of stairs every day. What happens if you have the baby and the lift still isn't fixed - you want to carry a buggy up those stairs too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

puremeteor wrote: »

The problem is when owners don't pay their management fees- if there is no money in the account there is shag all the management agents can do about it(they are essentially employed by the owners)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

puremeteor wrote: »

Eh isn't it the landlords' fault for not paying their management fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 puremeteor

yes it is. I take back my words. The only problem is that due to some landlords not paying up, the whole set of residents are suffering.

Anyway I don't really care whose fault it is. As a resident all I need is working lifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We're in the same position as yourself, lift has been out of order for a week now and I'm finding it really hard to walk up 4 flights of stairs a day. It ends in me getting really bad pressure pains in my lower stomach.

Maybe moving out is the best idea if the lift is not going to be fixed, how are you gonna hoike a buggy AND a baby up four flights of stairs everyday???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

The landlords/owners who fail to pay management fee's are in breach of covenant. It's down to property management company to pursue them.

The property doesn't suit because of a failure for which the landlord is responsible to you - you have no contract with the managemnt company. Talk to the PRTB. www.prtb.ie The local council housing department and planning enforcement department may also have something to say.

Its likely that you can write to the landlord and terminate the lease, just like if the roof was leaking.

Best of luck with everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 esmeralda

30k euros to repair a lift???????? We have just had a lift installed from zero in our 4 storey building (work started in June, completed last week) and we have only paid 35k Euros (actually only paid 20k, the rest was subsidised by the council). OK, my flat is in Madrid but I can't believe there is THAT much difference between two European capital cities in the price of a lift? Is it state of the art or something? Strangely enough I remember from our community meetings that apart from the actual hydraulic system the most expensive item was the emergency phone, but how much can it possibly cost that much to repair either?

There may be more than meets the eye here - a massive backlog of payments on all kinds of things, very bad blood among owners (fairly usual by all accounts) etc. I agree with those that recommend that you go elsewhere because it isn't worth risking your wife's health, not just in terms of getting up the stairs but also in terms of the hassle all this is causing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 questionforyou

Hi

This question relates to anti social behaviour in my estate. The landlord has ignored all calls from the Management Company and are saying that their tenants are being harassed by us (not true!). What power have the Management Company to evict these guys? Can they do anything at all? The tenants are not registered with the PTRB if that makes any difference?

p.s. would this be more suited in legal discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Welcome to Boards.

It's pretty much down to the landlord to evict them, I'm presuming the management company are powerless unless their doing something criminal activity.

If your in an appartment you can check the Freehold lease(Not rental lease, purchase lease) on the property for any covenants that the neighbours could be breaking that may get them evicted.

Do you want to explain things in a bit more detail?

Their landlord probably has responsibilities to you.

OK, this has escalated this weekend:

Friday night - party next door, started at 12am when some people pulled up in a car and went in next door! Ended at around 3am!

Saturday night, was out with the wife, I was drinking, she was driving. Got home around 2am. I collapsed into bed but she couldn't sleep at all because of the noise from next door who were having another party! She told me next morning that she had to call the gardai as the music was blasting down the walls. They were sitting out in the back garden drinking:eek:
    The cops came and they warned them but I don't know if this will have any affect. The party had pretty much ended at that stage and my wife got to go to sleep at around 5am, 3 hours after arriving home!

Am I being unreasonable here? These new renters only moved in around 3 weeks ago.

This has lead to my wife and I having arguments and is seriously having a strain on my homelife. The problem is that she doesn't want any confrontation with the neighbours at all, she went anonymous on the phone call to the gardai.

This sounds like a different area and you can be assured its not the same as this incident which is turning into a nightmare. At this stage we'll wait until next weekend and if the parties happen again I'll be contacting the managment company(If I can find them!) and get a complaint made official.

I'm beginning to wonder if renters give a toss at all about their neighbours.

No I have not to be honest, I suggested it to my wife that I speak to them yesterday(Sunday) and she really didn't want me to as she said they'd know it was us who called the Gardai on Saturday!?! She wants to wait until next weekend and if the same thing happens then, we'll go through the management company/landlord and make an official. If I had my way I'd be onto them today but I'm willing to wait for her sake.

tbh, I'm sick of them at this stage, even last night(Sunday) they had more visitors who didn't leave until 12 and they had a baby with them:eek:
    This kind of thing is incredible and it seems to be the norm with eastern europeans, they keep their kids up all hours.

I want them out asap, we've had renters before who were fine but these people seem to have no regard for anyone:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You need to talk to them first before any other actions can be taken seriously.

Advertisement