Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mega **Management Company** thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well ... what about

- littering fines
    - parking fines
    - speeding fines

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well ... what about

- littering fines
    - parking fines
    - speeding fines
    You mean: littering tickets / parking tickets / speeding tickets?

These are typcially fixed charge notices allowing you to avoid court, specially put in place by the Oireachtas to free up court time.

Apartment management Companies don't have the same powers as the Oireachtas. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bcullen

Is this http://www.mtsproperty.com/ - now with an office in Rathgar ? I'm a landlord and I've been working with them on the letting of a property of mine. This thread concerns me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

I have had a car parked outside my house (in a private estate - not taken in charge by the council) for the last 5 weeks or so.

I have looked at various threads on this topic and my neighbour has spoken to the council and the Gardai - conclusion seems to be that as long as someone owns the vehicle, they can park it in front of anybody's house until it rots, as long as they are not causing an obstruction (assuming nobody does anything illegal like removing the plates).

Even the fact that the insurance disc is for a different car means that the Gardai can slap a ticket on it - nothing more.

What I was thinking is that, as we only have a residents committee (not a management company), we could have a residents meeting, vote to introduce a parking regulation that only residents and guests may park in the estate. Then we could place a notice on the car that it was parked in contravention of the regulation and that they should produce some evidence of residency (or invitation) within 30 days or it would be removed.

My questions:

1. Would this hold up? It would remove the "implied permission" that exists allowing people to just drive into a private, non-gated estate, so I can't see why not.
    2. If the above is valid, and the car was still there after the time was exceeded, could we report it as trespass and have the Gardai remove it, or would we have to pay for removal ourselves?

I am just sick that councils are supposed to be taking estates in charge, but refuse to do so, thereby leaving residents in difficult situations like this.

Thanks for your opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

This has come up here before, a few weeks ago if I remember correctly, have a search for 'abandoned' on this forum and you might get it. if not i'm sure someone else who remembers what the consensus was will be along shortly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, if it has no number plate, I think it gets towed. Be careful, though, as some number plates tend to "walk" off the car ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

the_syco wrote: »
    Well, if it has no number plate, I think it gets towed. Be careful, though, as some number plates tend to "walk" off the car ;)

That'd be terrible , would'nt it!:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's a private estate, so the council won't tow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

But if it's a private estate surely it's illegally parked on private property so the management company should remove it. If there's no management company, how do the bins get emptied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Is there petrol leaking from it.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, dear, theres a NASTY smell of fuel from it and there fore its a HAZZARD!
    Then, it'd have to be towed in !

ohhhhh, dear.........shame..............where's your lawnmower petrol can?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

start the halloween bonfire beside it... it will be a roaring success..

or build the bonfire around it... and it might just accidentally catch fire.. when nobody is looking of course;)

In what way is the estate "private"? Who controls the roads and green spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Yep i'll have to agree with "the_syco" ,its the only way you'll get rid of it and also the car tax has to be out ,that could also "fall out of the car" ;) then the guards have to take it off the road ( speaking from experience) ;)

Guys, criminal damage isn't on. I've handed out a bunch of infractions, the next such suggestion gets a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 caibidil

Ah **** it - break the window, break the steering lock and push it out onto the hard shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

Victor wrote: »
    Guys, criminal damage isn't on. I've handed out a bunch of infractions, the next such suggestion gets a ban.

I agree that criminal damage is not on and I realise that the suggestions given here are intended as humorous (right guys?).

Fact is, as I mentioned in the OP, I have looked up various threads on this already and am well aware of what I could do to make it go away. I was trying an original tack and seeing if there were some way in which a private individual could actually legally sort out the situation. If there is not, it would seem to me that the law, as the expression goes, is an ass.

Thanks for all your help.

By the way, in reply to your question Victor, the estate is private in that we pay for our own maintenance of green areas, we do not get any maintenance of roads (I have subsidence in the path outside my house and the council will not help) and the council in Meath have no facility in place for taking in charge estates. There are estates over twenty years old in Navan that still have not been taken in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I had a friend in a similar situation - the gardai told them they could not remove it as per the OP. However a nice gardai did mention that if the car were to be damaged (broken window) they could then remove it on suspicion of being stolen.

Car was moved in the end

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

caibidil wrote: »
    Ah **** it - break the window, break the steering lock and push it out onto the hard shoulder

You were warned.
    Banned.

I had a friend in a similar situation - the gardai told them they could not remove it as per the OP. However a nice gardai did mention that if the car were to be damaged (broken window) they could then remove it on suspicion of being stolen.

Car was moved in the end

Suggesting criminal damage is not on.
    As per previous warnings from moderators- RentDayBlues 1 week temp ban.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

hamiltron wrote: »
    I have had a car parked outside my house (in a private estate - not taken in charge by the council) for the last 5 weeks or so.

There is practically nothing you can do. They are not breaking the law.

You can inform the Gardai that the car is parked there a long time. They can then check the details, to see if the car is stolen or anything.

Even introducing clamping or parking restrictions will not give you the right to remove the vehicle.

You're stuck in a very awkward situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

There is nothing worse than some inconsiderate shyte parking outside your house, I get it all the time, gets to a stage where I cannot park outside my own house, so I am then the shyte parking outside a neighbours until the original shyte moves.

Quick question though, with 2 sons who play hurling outside, who is liable then for the damage that could be caused to a car just left outside their house - alone and unattended for days???????

RAFC wrote: »
    There is nothing worse than some inconsiderate shyte parking outside your house, I get it all the time, gets to a stage where I cannot park outside my own house, so I am then the shyte parking outside a neighbours until the original shyte moves.

Quick question though, with 2 sons who play hurling outside, who is liable then for the damage that could be caused to a car just left outside their house - alone and unattended for days???????

If they damage the car, they, and as minors, you, are responsible for any damage that may occur to the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Thought that alright, did get caught at one stage to pay for a scratch (from 3yr olds bike) on a neighbours car (that was more a moral judgement than a legal problem, he did it I paid), but they have to play some place, can't keep them locked up :cool: or can I :eek: no I don't think so :)

RAFC wrote: »
    Thought that alright, did get caught at one stage to pay for a scratch (from 3yr olds bike) on a neighbours car (that was more a moral judgement than a legal problem, he did it I paid), but they have to play some place, can't keep them locked up :cool: or can I :eek: no I don't think so :)

I was tempted to make a comment about thats what I thought dungeons were for, but thought the better of it.......

Seriously though- do they not have a decent sized green area where they can kick a ball or shoot each other (or whatever it is that kids do these days.....)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jocal

Hi,
    Unfortunately, I've had a bad experience with MTS Management company too. I have an apartment which they were dealing with renting for me. The tenants moved out after 7 months and according to MTS their fee covered 1 years rental I asked them to get another tenant as I understood from them that the fee I had paid would cover for 1 year. However, when I checked my balance I noticed that MTS had deducted the fee again equivalent to nearly €600. I rang but she now claims there is a fee per rental and not for 1 years rental as was the case originally. After reading similar cases on this board, I see that I am not the only person frustrated and out of pocket. Is there anything I can do about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bcullen

All I can suggest is that you go back and look very carefully at whatever agreement(s) you signed. If you do not have a record of it, ask MTS for it.

Personally I've decided to not use them as my property managers - if only because of unsatisfactory responsiveness and accessibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

All very farmilar. I lived in Hollybrook Mews as well a few years ago and there was nothing but hassle getting the deposit back from them. if I found out that they were managing any property I was thinking about moving into, I think Id just find another place to live. Its not worth all the aggro you get from them when it comes to getting your deposit back or if you need anyting done thhat falls under their management remit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

You should contact the National Property Services Regulatory Authority (www.npsra.ie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tomtoms

just wondering if anyone can give advice on my management co.
    they have been running the complex i live in for over 4 years.
    Althought you wouldn't think it we have a part time care taker to clean hall ways and out door areas.
    Anti social behaviour is a major problem.
    The apts are made up of social and affordable housing and run by a housing association that ignore what is happening here.
    some resisdents have made complaints to the managment co, local police, TD's and Dublin city council.
    None of the above have done anything to help with the situation.
    It seems that things will never change here. Are decent resisdents living here expected to live under these conditions.

Four years down the line and most people here are tired of the crap we have to put up with day in day out. Just because we live in social and affordable housing doesn't mean we should be treated like dirt.

The management co really should step down and let Dublin city council take over or let them appoint another management co, but... the present management co seem to think they are doing a grand job......

If it was you what steps would you take to improve this situation and who would you suggest to contact to help other than the 4 above mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you an owner? Regardless of whether it's affordable housing or not, if you are an owner then you are a member of the management company and you have rights and responsibilities because of this. You need to get involved, nobody else is going to protect your investment for you.

If you are a tenant you need to get on to your local authority about the situation.

Advertisement