Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wenger's Dreaming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

That is outrageous Phenom! Talk about mis-quoting the man! What he said was his team want to win every game, no matter what competition is involved! Flaming of the highest order there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Well they certainly have the quality and depth to win the first three you mentioned but I doubt the fourth trophy will be the the CL (rather the charity shield - although thats counted as next season so there ya go)

I'd say he's in that place between dreaming and being awake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by mr_angry
    That is outrageous Phenom! Talk about mis-quoting the man! What he said was his team want to win every game, no matter what competition is involved! Flaming of the highest order there!

Well now mr_angry don't be so hasty or "outrageous". Phenom has a point. When a team wins all their games would that not result in them winning all four trophies??? ;)

He said they "want" to win every game they play. Not that they "will" win every game they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

what happened to taking each game as it comes?? looking at 4 trophies (really its 3 as we all know) will just put pressure on the whole club and that cant be good.

IMO, arsenal can only win the fa cup again this year. It will take one hell of an effort to beat the likes of milan and madrid, juve etc in the champs league. in the league, they havn't had a bad patch all year which will inevitably come (yes, they WILL lose a game, not might) , hence my view they cant win the league either.

they will win the league cup if they field strong teams but really it's a trophy made for nationwide clubs, the fa cup is the big domestic cup. 2 trophies max for arsenal this year, fa cup and league cup. i predict they'll only win one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

big difference between saying he wants and he will.

does that mean every team is dreaming because of wanting to win all their games

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by smemon
    what happened to taking each game as it comes?? looking at 4 trophies (really its 3 as we all know) will just put pressure on the whole club and that cant be good.

IMO, arsenal can only win the fa cup again this year. It will take one hell of an effort to beat the likes of milan and madrid, juve etc in the champs league. in the league, they havn't had a bad patch all year which will inevitably come (yes, they WILL lose a game, not might) , hence my view they cant win the league either.

they will win the league cup if they field strong teams but really it's a trophy made for nationwide clubs, the fa cup is the big domestic cup. 2 trophies max for arsenal this year, fa cup and league cup. i predict they'll only win one of them.
    United haven't had a bad patch yet either though have they? Saying that Arsenal can't win the league because they haven't had a bad patch yet suggests they've been firing on all cylinders up to now, which isn't true. They've been frequently grinding out results, cruising (often to draws). Look at their results against Utd, Chelsea, Pool and Newcastle - 10 points out of an available 12 without ever really stepping up to top gear. They can potentially play better in the second half of the season, and not being the favourites to win the league should definately suit them.

I agree it will take a major effort to win the CL this year (well, it takes a big effort for any club to win it). On their day they can beat any team in europe, but getting a bit of luck and reaching top form in the key games will be very difficult for them. Getting to the quarters or possibly the semis seems a fairly realistic goal at the moment though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Originally posted by phenom
    Wenger thinks he will win all 4 trophies this season

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=287637&cc=5739

is arsenal good enough to win the premiership,fa cup,carling cup,and the champions league

What do you think?

what a muppet you are
    minky in disguise maybe??
    remember utd were in a similar position last year and they only won the league

what he said was he wants to keep winning
    what the **** is wrong with that

I suppose alex and roy want to lose the odd game do they??
    and answer why is he dreaming??
    is it because he wants to win
    if so then ANYBODY envolved in top level football is a dreamer (dont think your one of them now are you :) )

what a muppet you are!!!

ps. your not working for the sun by any chance are you

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

what he said was he wants to keep winning

sorry crank that has been stated three times already.
    I suppose alex and roy want to lose the odd game do they??

what has that got to do with this thread. If you want to talk about alex or roy make a new thread

isnt wenger being over confident like last year.

im here to talk about football not looking for arguments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

possibly, but there is no evidence of it in the article you posted a link to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

They can beat anyone on their day but IMO Arsenal do not have the dept of squad to win all the competitions this year. Very few managers expect thier team to go a whole season without being beaten and only the most over confident would go public on it like Wenger did last year;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Well said phenom, unfortunately you've come to the wrong place if you don't want rows as there are those here who's only motive is to antagonise at the slightest provocation.

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by jank
    what a muppet you are

jank if I remember correctly you've been banned from here in the past. Cool down and prove him wrong logically or just do not post in future.

Is that clear!

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Originally posted by gandalf
    jank if I remember correctly you've been banned from here in the past. Cool down and prove him wrong logically or just do not post in future.

Is that clear!

Gandalf.

i was banned for ONE week for calling someone a spa. And i think he should be banned too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I heard what Wenger sed after the match and one again the press have mis-interperated. Claire (Sky Sports reporter) asked if they can win all 4competitions and he sed they want to win every match they play and take every game as it comes so I don't see how he is being over confident and thinks they'll win every competition. They can win the FA Cup, League, carling cup and if they keep belief have a good chance of winning the CL but I don't think they will but a semi-final place I think is vital. Go on the Gunners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    i was banned for ONE week for calling someone a spa. And i think he should be banned too.

I really hope for your sake your not telling me how to mod this forum.

He has been warned and if he steps over the line again he will be banned for good.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Originally posted by kaids
    United haven't had a bad patch yet either though have they?

they've had more of a bad spell than most and aren't anywhere near their best. Granted either are Arsenal but Utd have been very poor so far and still are top. Also Utd lose a game here and there traditionally but rarely lose 2 in a row so its not really recognised as a patch as such. That said they have lost about 5 times this season in all comps.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    They can beat anyone on their day but IMO Arsenal do not have the dept of squad to win all the competitions this year. Very few managers expect thier team to go a whole season without being beaten and only the most over confident would go public on it like Wenger did last year;)

He was mis-quoted last year aswell. The interviewer asked him was it possible to go through the season unbeaten? His answer:
    Well, anything is possible. If you look at Milan, they went over a season without being beaten, so anything is possible.

A far cry from categorically saying they would go through the season unbeaten. And certainly not as bad as David Beckham saying the year before that "It would be nice to go through the season unbeaten, since its the manager's final season in charge", before being promptly beaten by Liverpool in the Charity Shield.

If you take any particular game in the season and analyse it, Arsenal are perfectly capable of winning it. Does that mean I think they will go through the season unbeaten? No.

What Wenger said was that the side are unbeaten so far, and they want to keep winning games. A far cry from saying that they will categorically win all 4 competitions.

I agree: Do you in fact work for the Sun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ok sorry gandalf about my outburst

just realise now that its not worth getting into a long and heated debate over this where bannings will be the only outcome

Anybody how knows decent thing about football will know that he was mis- quoted last season and this is a very very poor atempt to do it again by pheom

it is also a very blatent atempt to throll ie. " wenger thinks he will win everything what do ye all think??"

thats basically the content of your first post.
    i personally thought these type of threads were deleted (they are in other places in boards.ie)

do i think arsenal will go unbeaten all season: no
    do i think they have a decent chance in all comps: yes
    do i think they will win silverware: yes

thats all im going to say now

PS. really really bad form ronaldo
    I would never ask for someone else to be banned when i had nothing to do with it in the first place( akin to a player trying to get someone else sent off)
    you have probably lost what respect(if you had any) you had on this forum from a lot of posters
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

what has that got to do with this thread. If you want to talk about alex or roy make a new thread

The reason that Alex and roy were brought into the thread was not to start a fight but to make a point. I am surprised that you cannot see that as a valid point and not Man U bashing, surely drawing parallels with another succesful team in the premiership is a good base for a discussion.

Do you believe that Man U do not "want" to win every game ?

Do you think that Roy Keane steps on the pitch and thinks, it's alright if we lose this one ?

I doubt it and I am sure that anybody with any sense could see that the competitor that Roy Keane is he would not want to go out and not win.

Now apply the same thinking to Henry, Wenger, Viera etc. These guys are professionals and they will not go out to lose a game, of course they want to win it, it's their job and they love doing it. If you cannot come back with something better than "im here to talk about football not looking for arguments" while completely avoiding the fact that what you have done is misquote Mr Wenger and sensationalise what he has said in a Daily Mirror fashion then perhaps Tinky was right, you may have come to the wrong place.

BTW here is a quote from Sir alex, he must think he is going to win all four trophies....

"They still do have a slight chance, but it's going to be extremely hard for them because we want to win every game. "

from this http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2000/04/12/current/ppage_2.htm

Frank Lampard has said it too, they must be on to win all four as well "We want to win every game and show a good attitude in every game."

from here http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/sporttop/content_objectid=13681845_method=full_siteid=50143_headline=-Football--Tinkerman-s-tailoring-has-Chelsea-on-the-fast-track-name_page.html

Unfortunately what people want and what they get is not always the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

it is also a very blatent atempt to throll ie. " wenger thinks he will win everything what do ye all think??"

Had he come in at the middle of a thread then that comment would possibly be valid - but he started thread !
    A mod on a different forum always starts his threads with that type of question - is he also trolling . It's meant to start a debate not a slagging match of petty - ill thoughtout crap and misplaced accusations of duality !

Why reply if your only thoughts were that you could get up someones nose again.
    PS. really really bad form ronaldo
    I would never ask for someone else to be banned when i had nothing to do with it in the first place( akin to a player trying to get someone else sent off)
    you have probably lost what respect(if you had any) you had on this forum from a lot of posters

Thats rich coming from you to be honest. You don't speak for me - I will decide who I have respect for and who I dont. Perhaps if you dropped the chip you appear to have on your shoulder and concentrate on putting forward your point without resorting to childish rethoric you might earn back a small modicum of respect.

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Any chance of this even veering close to on topicness, if not I will just close it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

topicness

Someone msut have got a brand new dictionary for Christmas;)

Having read the full thread I would agree that phenom misquoted Wenger but he is a new user and is not the first to misquote here and won't be tha last.I dont see how asking anyone for their opinion on anything can be trolling. Every manager would like to see his team winning every game but we all know thats an unrealsitc aspiration.

Originally posted by gandalf
    I really hope for your sake your not telling me how to mod this forum.

He has been warned and if he steps over the line again he will be banned for good.

Gandalf.

Well I was banned for calling someone a spa. And it thought me a lesson not to call anyone else a spa particularly in the soccer forum because i know i will get banned again.

I just think he should have been banned too for that(not really, i dont care but it happened to me)?

And more importantly, why are you acting like your superior to me with the aggressive power tone?

[EDIT]
    Second offence and in the same thread, well ya know what happens when you are caught diving twice in a match, first one is a yellow, second is a red. You are out, for a week at least, could be more as this is your second time. Will let you know shortly.
    [/EDIT]

In terms of the discussion about Wenger. He just basically said he wants to win every game but so does every player/manager of every football team in the world. It may or may not happen. he is no different. he is not being overconfident, he is just acting like the professional he is.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Having read the full thread I would agree that phenom misquoted Wenger but he is a new user and is not the first to misquote here and won't be tha last.I dont see how asking anyone for their opinion on anything can be trolling. Every manager would like to see his team winning every game but we all know thats an unrealsitc aspiration.

If its a given fact (which I think it is), then what's the f*cking point in having a thread on it in the first place. And it doesn't surprise me that you're defending mis-quoting Wenger, seeing as you're so fond of doing it yourself! :p

As for Ronaldo, Tinky (to a lesser degree), and Jank - isn't there some sort of kreche where you guys can sort out your petty squabbles, rather than here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement