Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Broadband and half duplex.

• 05-01-2004 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭

How exactly does this work in practic, is i if your downloading anything at all you can't upload an vice versa, or if your downloading at 40kb you can only upload at 10kb andvice versa or is it something else all together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Basically half duplex means you can't upload at full speed and download at full speed at the same time. If you are downloading at 30kb/s, you can expect to upload at 20kb/s (if you have 512/512). If you download at 60kb/s you can expect to have about 2kb\s upload. And if you download at 10kb/s, you can probably upload at about 40kb's.

These are just rough figures. One thing to note is that in order to download anything, some of your up speed is used to manage the download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

And is upload speed trottled back as well as download speed at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Technically no. BUT (and its a big but) if they run low on bandwidth, (i.e. everyone starts downloading at once) their business customers will get priority over residential customers. Personally, i have no problem with that.

But also, you wil probably see a slowdown during peak hours, as quite obviously, they are peak hours, so everyone is using it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silent Assasin

I have been with IBB since June on the guinness mast and i have no probs with them.

I dont upload much but occassionally i vpn into the network at work and never had any bother downloading or uploading... From what i can guess (im not a network guru) it uploads as fast as the destination will take it day or night

hope this helps

Advertisement