Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Question

Options
  • 05-01-2004 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

just wondering if any of ye know what is up with my dog. she is a sheepdog and she is pretty old at this stage. she is abut 11 i think not too sure got her when i was young and she was alwas fat (not too fat) and really energetic but in the last few weeks she has gt really skinny and frail. i know it might be age but i dont think so as she was in such great form.

thought it might have been worms but got her tablets and vet says to try them so he must have thought it was worms aswell. really worried as she is my baby!]

any opinions would be great

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Ronika

ahh your poor doggy. It may not be worms due to the old age I say it may be something a bit more serious. Take her back to your vet and ask him to take blood tests. Let us know how it goes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Get him / her to check for / do the following,....

Arthritis,
    Heartrate.
    Wide spectrum Blood test.
    Leukemia.
    Worms.
    Digestion.
    Gastric ulcers.
    Constipation.

If its none of the above, and i hope it aint, then its *likely* she is just turning into an old lady who needs and deserves a little extra care these days :)

B

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    Constipation.
    Is she actually eating? Is there the possibility of a bowel obstruction (knowing what dogs try to and do swallow)?

Prepare yourself for the day that is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

hey guys,

brought her to the vet and got blod test done. it turns out she has a heart murmour. we are waiting to see if there is anything else as her liver was swollen aswell. i was crying and everything.

but they did seem optimistic enough saying that if its just the heart murmour they will be able to control it with some tablets or something.

hopefully she'll pull through as as all ye know you tend to get fond of them!

thanks to everyone who replied appreciate it

Karen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Give her 400iu of Vitamin E every day (and yourself too!), it's great for the heart. I heard an ancient vet on the radio saying he had saved a dying dog with a heart condition by doing this, and always gave it to dogs after that and takes it himself.

• Advertisement

hey guys,

just thought id let ye know that lassie had to be put down yesterday. thanks to all ye who replied to my question.

it turned out that the heart murmour she had wasnt allowing enough blood to get to the liver and her liver started to fail so we had to put her to sleep yesterday.

just one of those things i guess. its scary how attatched a person gets to their pet eh.

oh well!

thanks for trying guys

Karen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

losing a pet is like losing a member of the family.hope your ok

yeah im ok. thanks.im back in college now so i think it will really kick in when i get home at the weekend. she was old and all but you still dont want to let go and when it comes to putting them to sleep you are always wondering if there was any chance they'll make it but it was for the best and thats the way it goes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sorry to hear it Karen, I'm sure it was the right choice for the poochie. Unfortunately these type of things happen, and all we can do then is make sure they don't suffer more than they have to :(

Advertisement