Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

slow driving

Options
  • 05-01-2004 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Heading out of Dublin on Friday 2nd Jan and seen some blatant slow driving. as luck would have it the traffic heading into Dublin was also a long cortege like crawl so the change to overtake was slim to none. The offending driver made no attempt to use the hard shoulder to allow the precession behing time to get away, just hogging the white line like they were sniffing coke.

Surely this is an abuse of the rules of the road. 30KPH and not allowing other driver's to drive just below the speed limit is only leading to road rage.

As it happen's, my house mate was heading from the west to Dublin and it took him 2 hour's just to get to Longford ( same day).

Surely this type of driving behaviour should be outlawed.

I have heard of people failing the driving test for going TOO SLOW!.

Rgd's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

/me holds hand up

i failed my driving test first time for going too slow, was goin 33mph in a 40mph zone and under 30 in the 30 zones got something like 4 or 5 marks for goin too slow :rolleyes:

when i passed it i was actually doin around 31/32mph in 30 zones its all to do with progress.

in my opinion slow drivers are as much of a hazard as speeding drivers, I was a passenger with my father one night and he was doin 55mph, came around a corner and next thing there was a car doin 20mph on the road, had to slam on the brakes and swerve to avoid hitting it.

there was no house's or roads onto the road anywhere near were the car was so there was no chance the car had just come onto the road

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Obstruction ?

If they were keeping in to the left fair enough - but when they hog the centre of the road :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

i may be wrong but i believe it is already outlawed. However, when do they ever prosecute anyone for this. Slow begrudging & uncourteous drivers are the cause of road rage and dangerous driving on our roads.

How some of these people can jog along at 30 when they could just as easily do 60 - with a backlog of 8/9 cars behind them - its beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by draffodx
    /me holds hand up

i failed my driving test first time for going too slow, was goin 33mph in a 40mph zone and under 30 in the 30 zones got something like 4 or 5 marks for goin too slow :rolleyes:

when i passed it i was actually doin around 31/32mph in 30 zones its all to do with progress.
    It is a bit of a tightrope. In most test centres, testers require you to go on or just above the 30mph limit cos anything less is just too slow in everyday traffic. There's also the fact that they're sitting to the left of your speedo, so your speed reads slightly less to them (forget the name of this property of light). I'm sure most testers are aware of, and try to compensate for this, but with all the different makes of cars and speedos, they can't be right all the time :)

in my opinion slow drivers are as much of a hazard as speeding drivers, I was a passenger with my father one night and he was doin 55mph, came around a corner and next thing there was a car doin 20mph on the road, had to slam on the brakes and swerve to avoid hitting it.

there was no house's or roads onto the road anywhere near were the car was so there was no chance the car had just come onto the road
    I think we all have our scary slow drivers moments. I rounded a corner at somewhere between 55 and 60 one day, only to see an old Land Rover in front of me. It was moving and about 400m away from me. But I got then within 150m of it and realised it was stopped. No brakelights, no indicator. There were two big black streaks up the road for months afterwards. I was sliding, and about 5m from him, still moving, but maybe going about 10mph, when he turned, and just got out of my way. And I wasn't even driving my own car....that was a lucky day. :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by draffodx
    /me holds hand up

Heh, same thing happened me. I did my first test (and second test) in a Yaris which has a digital speedo in centre of dash facing the driver. I was doing 28-30mph in a 30 zone and about 56-60 on a 60 zone, and was given black marks for going too slow (poor progress, i think they call it). So the second time (again in a Yaris) I just drove a few miles over the limit and passed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Yesterday I was going onto the m50 at 35mph.... it scared the crap out of me. I was stuck behind a slow driver. It’s incredible. They must think they are being safer by driving slower onto a 70mph motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

I think there was a judge in Galway that got critisized for berating slow drivers, calling them a menace and a denger.

must see if I can find the article somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I think there was a judge in Galway that got critisized for berating slow drivers, calling them a menace and a denger.

I think that was the case where a guy 'overtook' an elderly slow driver on the hard shoulder after miles and miles of driving at 20mph in a 60 zone. The gardai were stuck in the resulting traffic buildup but still prosecuted the guy. The judge was fairly easy on him as far as I remember - he said he could understand how annoying it must have been and how such slow driving could be as dangerous as speeding...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

I can tolerate slow driving IF the driver is fully aware of what they are doing and THEN make an effort to move over to the Hard Shoulder to allow the procession of car's that are behind to pass out and continue on their journey. Alot of slow driver's don't seem to travel a long distance anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I generally just edge a little closer to the slow moving car and flash my headlights a few times, normally gets them to pull over allowing a safe overtaking.

Chief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Isn't that called intimidation?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Isn't that called intimidation?
    Only if it's persistant. Flashing your lights at someone to alert them is nice and legal.

They obviously dont know you are there or dont know that you would like to overtake so a gentle flashing lets them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I dunno. I wouldn't do it, especially since the Garda Traffic Watch has now gone nationwide. Those old boys doing 30mph on a 60mph road have idle thumbs when they get home.

Flashing can lead to distraction, which could lead to a rear-ending. That's not safe driving at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by DMC
    I dunno. I wouldn't do it, especially since the Garda Traffic Watch has now gone nationwide. Those old boys doing 30mph on a 60mph road have idle thumbs when they get home.
    ...and what. The gardai call to your house and have a few words with you? I know it wouldn't be long before the door was closed. They cannot do anything:-
    G: excuse me sir, are you the owner of this vehicle?
    Me: yeah, why?
    G: we received a complaint about this vehicle driving dangerously along nnn road. It was reported that the car was driving close to the car in front and the driver was distracted by the flashing lights.
    Me: I remember that car - he was driving dangerously slow. I would like to report him for dangerous driving - the driver was obviously not fully aware of the driving conditions at the time - despite attempts by other drivers to alert him to the presence of said other road users, the driver persisted in driving at an inconsiderate rate. This led to many drivers (who I suspect developed road rage whilst waiting to get by) taking dangerous overtaking manouvres.
    Anyway, it wasn't me that was right behind him nor did I flash him! Your source was incorrect! I would also like a copy of their slanderous statement for my solicitor.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

it sure is frustrating. Had this conversation with a Guard lately. He reminded me that it is a maximum speed limit. It is not wrong to drive slowly. Person may feel unwell, enroute to hospital, be carrying fragile objects, have slow reactions etc.
    Check with your insurance company, but mine claims that I am not supposed to drive on hard shoulder. Fine to pull onto for the purposes of stopping but not for driving.
    In the USA they have minimum speed limits, this should be introduced here. Also a law requiring you to pull into left hand lane of a dual carriageway rather than staying in whichever lane you fancy.
    On the continent most countries have a rule that says you must pull over if there ae more than 7 cars in a queue behind you and you are goinf less than max speed limit.:p

Fair enough kbannon, your word against his. As I understand it, after a report from Trafficwatch, the Gardai have to act and give you a warning, no matter how much you may remonstrate like you have said there. Warnings carry little weight, I'm not sure if it is even documented.

Its still doesn't get away that flashing is diabolical road behaviour.

Pet hate #1: **nts who flash at other drivers
    Pet hate #2: Slow drivers in front.

Alot of the time I flash on overtaking to alert the driver that I am actually about to overtake them. This is the norm in alot of countries and I think it is quite safe.

Chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i think a lot of slow driving at night is caused by dirty headlights, i followed a car for about 10 miles on sunday night, they'd do 55 when nothing was comming then about 30 when traffic approached, i think as soon as he/she dipped they couldn't see anything

believe me i was going mental, as soon as i got a clear way to over take, he/she would speed up too, so it was hopeless,and there was a good bit of traffic that night

there should be clean your lights adds on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Its still doesn't get away that flashing is diabolical road behaviour.

I think it perfectly reasonable to flash a driver in front of you if you want to alert them that you want to overtake. Overtaking when it is safe is perfectly legal and if the driver in front of you is alerted to your intentions and moves in a bit doesn't this make it safer to overtake? Most drivers only check their mirrors about once every hour. A flash of light in their main rearview mirror is usually enough to make them pay attention to whats behind them. I imagine some of them might not even realise they are causing a queue of cars to form behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by DMC
    still doesn't get away that flashing is diabolical road behaviour.

erm, dont really agree with that. Going onto the motorway the other day at 35 didnt help my state of mind. I flashed at the driver infront to tell them there was something up. If I didnt flash at them, they would'nt know anything is wrong with their driving, and would do the same thing again next time, putting more lives at risk.

How else can you tell them to hurry up?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Originally posted by DMC
    Pet hate #1: **nts who flash at other drivers

If you are driving in the fast lane slowly, or you are holding up a queue of traffic when there is ample room on the hard sholder to let people by, then I will flash my lights at you, and I will keep doing it until you stop being a asshole and let the traffic by. If that makes me a ****, then thats fine because in that situation I think you would be one too.....

No one flashes at me, but when I do see it happening in the other direction or if I'm behind, especially at night, there is nothing worse to me than someone flashing up the full heads trying to barge through, regardless if it is slow moving or not.

Tell me where in the Rules of the Road it says this is acceptable.

Tell me where the Rules of the Road says its acceptable to drive in the right lane on a motorway when the left one is empty. I think I'm within my rights to give a quick touch of the lights just to make the guy in front aware of my presense?

just curious, but how do you feel about drivers that hog the speeding lanes. I've seen many times where drivers have been "forced" to overtake using the slow lane simply because theres a car going at 30-40 in the fast lane. What do you do about these drivers? overtake on the slow lane?

Originally posted by klaz
    just curious, but how do you feel about drivers that hog the speeding lanes. I've seen many times where drivers have been "forced" to overtake using the slow lane simply because theres a car going at 30-40 in the fast lane. What do you do about these drivers? overtake on the slow lane?

Thats exactly what I'm talking about, I think the best thing to do here is to flash the light, then if there is no response, try again 30 seconds later, after that I usually just overtake then on the inside, no point in getting flustrated just sitting there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Undertaking - what's worse is when traffic is merging and you can't into the left lane 'cos the drivers are even more over the 40mph speed limit than you are...

Re: flashing to overtake - if someone indicates and it's safe to do so I'll pull in towards the left/hard shoulder - but persistant flashing or no indicaticators will cause me to slow down since I have to divert more of my attention to what's going on behind esp. if the driver starts tailgateing

I do sometimes get extremely annoyed with drivers that hog the fast lanes.
    Usually when they do eventually pull over, by the look of them they were day dreaming or worse on the phone.

I generally don't flash them as you don't know who they are, but at the first opportunity, I'd zip into the slow lane and back into the fast lane in front of them.

To be honest flashing lights should really only be done as a warning for some danger.
    If you have valid reason to be annoyed with a driver, you give them a strong hoot of your horn.

There is a driver in my locality by the way whose nick name is speedy.
    He has a full licence.
    He never ever goes over 30mph on the road.
    His wife insists when they are visiting her people in Kerry that they take the Bus.

If there is something parked on the road where by he has to indicate to pass it out, he pulls in , takes two traffic cones out of the boot and puts one in front and one behind the obstruction and then indicates to pass it out.
    And thats not a word of a lie:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Man
    If there is something parked on the road where by he has to indicate to pass it out, he pulls in , takes two traffic cones out of the boot and puts one in front and one behind the obstruction and then indicates to pass it out.
    And thats not a word of a lie:eek:
    That's just hilarious. I'd pay to see that. Does he stop after passing the dangerous obstruction to pick up his cones or does he get a subscriber deal for being a regular customer?

I'll bet he wishes he could have a man with a red flag (or a red light at night) walking in front of the moving car:D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Re: flashing to overtake - if someone indicates and it's safe to do so I'll pull in towards the left/hard shoulder - but persistant flashing or no indicaticators will cause me to slow down since I have to divert more of my attention to what's going on behind esp. if the driver starts tailgateing

And that is presisely what I do too on a main road.
    Originally posted by padraigmyers
    Tell me where the Rules of the Road says its acceptable to drive in the right lane on a motorway when the left one is empty. I think I'm within my rights to give a quick touch of the lights just to make the guy in front aware of my presense?

IMO, he's wrong, and you are wrong too. You are more aware of the rules of the road than he is in this example, as I said earlier Flashing can lead to distraction, which could lead to a rear-ending. You dont know what the clown in front will do if you flash at him.

Advertisement