Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Problem

• 05-01-2004 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm a bit of a computer illiterate so though I lurk around here a lot I don't post much...well, here is my problem. Any suggestions would be gratefully received...
    I'm on Windows XP, Internet Explorer 6. When I log on to the internet (Eircom dial-up) the modem connects OK, but then I just get "page unavailable" no matter what site I go into. I don't think it's Eircom's fault, as I can still connect and get on to the net OK with the kids old computer (windows 95). I have used "System Restore" and it solved the problem temporarily for a few days and but eventually it goes again. Now the "System Restore" itself has stopped working- it tells me it cannot restore settings to the date I have chosen, no matter what date I choose. Is there a limit on the number of times I can use it? Does it sound like a virus? I have two anti-virus programmes, Norton and AVG, and the Windows XP firewall.
    ALSO...I have ordered the Broadband package from Eircom and am awaiting its arrival. Is this likely to solve the problem as it will be using a different modem? HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Could be several things but maybe your best bet is to do a new dial up connection using eircom or some other isp(iol etc)and seeing how that works.Did you interfere with your connection settings anywhere or security settings?Easiest thing to do reinstall isp of choice ..........Hope this helps, regds kmb

Advertisement