Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does movement 6" mean movement 7"?

Options
  • 05-01-2004 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Think about it.... Does anyone move 6"???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Actually yeah, I judge middle to middle. It's not like the rules are a big deal, I'm just that lazy minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I move from the front of the base to the front of the base,and I make sure the other guy does too, especially if their nids :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Ameirgin

I move front to front, not front to back - although too many Gaelcons have shown me that sooo many people do just that! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Im a nid player... so i have to move front to back... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Shameful...

Nyeh. Means da boyz don't have to run as much to get inter hand ter hand.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I haven't played in a while, but one of my regular opponents was an eldr who moved one model 6 inches, then moved the rest of the squad to keep in formation.....I let him though because that left his striking scorpions and warp spiders a few inches closer to my 96 gene stealers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think that's generally allowed.. In my circles anyway.. I mean you're hardly gonna measure every model meticulously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Ameirgin

In friendly games I would agree, and I certainly don't expect someone to measure every model exactly. However, in a tournament I might insist on it if I felt that my opponent was taking advantage. And I have seen several instances where i know people were taking advantage of the fact that their opponent didn't expect them to measure each model.

It's all a balance of fair play - something that seems to be missing from most tournaments that i have seen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The only time that exact measurement movements for large numbers of models are needed is if the movement in question will lead to a critical result for a player. Tournament or no .... so I think it's indeed acceptable to do so in a tournament to keep things flowing.

Unless the opposing player is just taking obvious liberties. And there are a few suspects that spring to mind over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Front to front for me, I hate to see anyone cheating. If your playing in a tournament and someone does it to you call over a judge and get them to say weather or not they can get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Yeah, I hate cheaters. I remember my lil bro once tried to move a PIECE OF SCENERY in the way of my dreadnaught so his wraithlord wouldnt be in my line of sight. Talk about cheek. I was laughin for the whole battle, cos he still insisted his hand slipped. When he tried it again, in the same battle, right infront of me, I nearly killed him. Funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

Ahh, the Con classic :)
    Pick up a piece of terrain that's just not far enough outside your deployment zone, "Wow, look at this, pretty cool eh?", and then put it down a few inches closer to where you'd like it.
    Not that any respectable player would do this.

For 6" movement, does anyone just measure for the leading models in a unit, and then move the rest so as they are roughly in the same formation? Not strictly accurate but helps the game along. Assaults and other more movement criticle things do still need the micrometer though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by manchine
    Ahh, the Con classic :)
    Pick up a piece of terrain that's just not far enough outside your deployment zone, "Wow, look at this, pretty cool eh?", and then put it down a few inches closer to where you'd like it.
    Not that any respectable player would do this.

Seen it being done, and chastised one or two peeps for doing it too over the years of GM'ing gaelcon.

For 6" movement, does anyone just measure for the leading models in a unit, and then move the rest so as they are roughly in the same formation? Not strictly accurate but helps the game along. Assaults and other more movement criticle things do still need the micrometer though :)

That's what I do. Keeps the game flowing, although if a unit is blatantly within charge distance what I'll do is check to see what the outer limit is, so any models further back might not be within range, and are kept a proprtionate distance behind the rest of their unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Exactly. Measure one for reference, and move everything else in the squad to keep rough formation. It saves a huge amount of time for a 30-strong mob of Orks, I can tell you! But when accurate measurement is vital, then a lot of measuring should be done. Like charging distances, chasing down fleeing combatants, obscenely powerful weapons (Looted Basilisks. Yum. :) )

I encourage people to play like that, and any tournament I played in was cool with it (Mostly at Warpcon. Dunno about many other groups).

Doing it any other way probably adds on an hour to the playing time.

Advertisement