Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!!!!

• 05-01-2004 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey,
    I was hoping someone could help me out. I just installed win xp from win me on my laptop and installed the usb iol bb modem and connetion software, i can connect no problem but no pages will display. I remember having this problem before and i think it was something to do with internet protocol (TCP/IP), just can't remember what i need to do.
    Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Dns : 194.125.133.10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The ones I use on my IOL (dialup) connection are:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

You can always connect to pages using the actual IP addresses, if you can get someone to give them to you... This is a short term measure, and should allow you to access things like webmail, and boards... :)

if those dns addresses don;t work, these will...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bluedaemon

Originally posted by fcukme
    I remember having this problem before and i think it was something to do with internet protocol (TCP/IP), just can't remember what i need to do.

I have seen this happen. Apparently this is a known bug with the upgrade process but it can also occur with scratched disks (hard or cd).

Assuming that you aren't missing a setting or entered one wrong then what has happened (assuming you haven't installed some kind of firewall/connection sharing/rounter/etc as well) is that TCP/IP was not installed correctly.

To correct you must run the Windows XP Setup Repair program on your Windows XP installation disk.

If this fails to resolve the problem then Windows XP is unable to detect which exact file has been corrupted and you will have to re-install.

Reformatting should be a last resort but I have heard of it being necessary in order to get the TCP/IP working.

In pre-Windows 98, it was possible to re-install just the TCP/IP component but I think it is that Windows XP "integration" makes re-installing just the TCP/IP component impossible (or at least it was when I saw this).

Originally posted by bluedaemon
    In pre-Windows 98, it was possible to re-install just the TCP/IP component but I think it is that Windows XP "integration" makes re-installing just the TCP/IP component impossible (or at least it was when I saw this).
    It's not impossible, you can reset TCP/IP.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fcukme

Thanks for the suggestions, i don't think it is the DNS settings (no joy after trying a few in the tread). I did however install zone alarm on the machine before I installed the bb internet connection. Would this have anything to do with the problem. I rang iol and they told me it was not there problem! Nice guys. Thanks again.

Try disabling/uninstalling Zonealarm and see if it works.

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    It's not impossible, you can reset TCP/IP.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

my apologies but it wasn't around when I had the prob anyway (it's dated 11/25/2003) - I notice thought that it doesn't correct any problems with the actual underlying drivers/system files - it just restores the Windows registry settings to their defaults so if netsh doesn't help the setup repair program could still be worth a shot.

Zone Alarm is unlikely to have caused the problem unless you clicked No when it asked if Internet Explorer could use the net but it is worth uninstalling it just to be sure.

That fix has been around for a good while, I think they just updated the KB article on that date.

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    That fix has been around for a good while, I think they just updated the KB article on that date.

could have just missed it i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by fcukme
    Hey,
    I was hoping someone could help me out. I just installed win xp from win me on my laptop and installed the usb iol bb modem and connetion software, i can connect no problem but no pages will display. I remember having this problem before and i think it was something to do with internet protocol (TCP/IP), just can't remember what i need to do.
    "no pages will display" isn't very descriptive. It doesn't indicate whether you have a browser problem, or a TCP/IP problem.

Can you access e-mail or ping hosts? (IOL blocks pings to outside hosts, but I think you can ping IOLs own servers? Maybe someone on IOLBB can confirm?). Can you type

TELNET www.google.com 80

in a command prompt and get a connection?

You can't ping IOL's own servers on IOLBB (just tryed pinging [url]www.iol.ie:80[/url]).

For telnet, I would try the US Library of Congress rather than google's web server.

ie : telnet locis.loc.gov 23

as this will give a clearer indication of a connection (google just clears the screen).

But I doubt the problem is with IE (unless of course you have set invalid proxy settings or something like that but that is unlikely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fcukme

I dont think its a browser problem as i have installed opera, and it just gives the nework connection problem, when it tries for homepage. The only thing is i installed both opera and zone alarm before the internet connection but i can't see how that is the problem. I'm goona try unstalling the zone alarm and see if that helps but i'm nearly sure its an TCP/IP problem. It happened before, using win me and i re-installed the network components but in xp when i try to install a new TCP/IP, it says no driver found and insert a driver disk, but i aint got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

bluedaemon you CAN ping IOL servers..... the www.iol.ie server is not the same thing:p; thats (I think) not what Ripwave was asking for he meant the server gateway on which ****me is connecting to get his BB access from, those you can ping:

Pinging 193.95.136.175 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.95.136.175: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=63
    Reply from 193.95.136.175: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=63
    Reply from 193.95.136.175: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=63
    Reply from 193.95.136.175: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 193.95.136.175:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 23ms

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    bluedaemon you CAN ping IOL servers..... the www.iol.ie server is not the same thing:p; thats (I think) not what Ripwave was asking for he meant the server gateway on which ****me is connecting to get his BB access from, those you can ping
    Hmm.. I hadn't thought to ping the server gateway address... but you are right I can ping it. Do you know are there any other addresses that IOL are still letting us ping?

Advertisement