Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow responding system

Options
  • 05-01-2004 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive got a new pc. 2.4 ghz, 512 ram etc. Recently it has started to take a relatively long time to perform simple tasks such as opening up a notepad file, (7-8 seconds) , opening a movie file(8 seconds), playing a song (6-7 seconds). On startup i have to wait about a minute before internet explorer will open up. Now ive done a full virus and spware check, defragged the hard drive, and i have all of the windows updates, is there anything else obvious that could be causing this? It's pretty annoying.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

nVidia video card? I was having this problem with the forceware drivers released in mid-december. Went back to 44.09 drivers and haven't had that problem since. Also check your windows services running, in control panel -> administrative -> services. If there are services that don't look like windows services running, you can try stopping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

If it's Windows 2000, one of the possibilities is a custom HOSTS file (in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc) Any more than a few entries will slow the PC to a crawl.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭joto

If it's Windows 2000, one of the possibilities is a custom HOSTS file (in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc) Any more than a few entries will slow the PC to a crawl.

Checked that on mine, Windows 2000. It's not particularly slow but thought I'd check anyway. Found 187 entries & 2 folders! Is that good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

(not sure what you mean by folders :dunno:, hosts is a text file without an extension) rename C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and see...
    :)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

what does the event viewer say?

does the anti virus do scans on each startup?

disable realtime protection if you can and see if that speeds it up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

the hosts file has no relevance to slow opening apps....

Have you defragged your hard disk recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

oops - pushed Post too fast!!

Make sure that there is not a whole load of jumk apps installed that start on bootup.
    Uninstall anythign that you don't use/didn't know was installed, and then defrag.

This should speed things up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

well a quick glance down to the bottom right of your post and theres an "edit" button, click it :p

Advertisement