Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good books

Options
  • 05-01-2004 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

I got a book voucher for Christmas and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on any books to get? I'll read most genres but I am most at home with Fantasy, Biography and History.

I was looking at a book on Robert Emmet. I can't remember the author but since it was hardback I'm gonna asume it was relatively new. I think I might get that. Anyone read it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I'm going out on a limb here, because this book doesn't fit into any of the genres you have mentioned. However, this is a book that I have read umpteen times, I have bought many many times as presents for lots of different people - it's one of those few books, that, when you read it, you feel you must get everyone else to read it.

It is a collection of short stories by Raymond Carver, an American short story writer (and poet) who died in 1988. His stuff really is wonderful, having read this, I went out and bought everything else he ever wrote. Most of those books are now dispersed through my having loaned them out and people just don't want to give them back.

Where I'm calling from is a great use for anyones book vouchers.

If you don't like the first story, read the second anyway. If you don't like the second one, give up, but I defy you not to be completely sucked in by the end of the second story. Really wonderful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

I'll give it a try. Thanks.ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

havent read the robert emmett myself yet, but have heard a lot of good things about it....it may be out in paperback in a couple of months though if you wanted to wait

Advertisement