Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Time Motorbike Which one

Options
  • 05-01-2004 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have decided to bite the bullet and get myself some transport. I want to get a 250cc Crusier or equivelant of some flavour. For a first time bike what would you recomend. I have no intrest in getting a 125cc as I believe they are under powered and as such are dangerous. I will mainly use the bike for going to work and driving to the country (120 miles) every 3 or 4 week.
    I have a budget of say 3500 which will include insurance which will be around 1000. Am I being unrelaistic here in thinking I could get a bike and the gear for this amount.

Looking forward to your replys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Try this

This should probably become a sticky. URLs to Hibernian, bike shops, etc.

Age is a major factor in cost of insurance, so cannot say if budget of 1000 yoyos is reasonable. 250cc cruisers would be group 4 bikes, as opposed to group 2 for a 125cc cruiser. At my age (late 30s) that makes little difference, a few quid that one of the kids here might booze away in a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

<bertie voice>in FAQ-ta try here. </bertie voice>

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you're going to be doing 120 mile trips down the country, I wouldn't be aiming for a 250 cruiser.. The weight, lack of power and non-existant wind-protection will rapidly become a right pain...

I'd try to aim a little higher in the 'cc / HP area, and avoid a low powered cruiser..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Thanks guys for the info
    What 250 cruiser would be the most reliable and what would you recommend to stay away from.

Advertisement