Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FlirtFM

Options
  • 06-01-2004 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Anyone else getting this station?, its on 104.5

Its based in Mountmellick, or so Ive heard.

Plays mostly crap dance music and crap rap, but that could soon change in the future...
    I hear they use 2-3 XBox's, all chipped with 80gig HDD's in em, for playing the music, whick is all stored on the drives.

Not worth a listen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yeh I heard of it,its group of lad's from Mountmellick

A few of my friends got it but they said the music was crap and there was shag all reception and were only a few miles from Mountmellick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

is that the same blokes that were doin Lush FM back last year but got a solicitors letter from mildands 103 saying theyd report them to the licencing people if they didnt shut down??? Cant remember the names of the lads that had it but was a good laugh because they read out everthing that was texted in to them no matter how bad it was!! They made the mistake of advertising all the dj gigs they were doing though so people were easily able to suss out who they were.

Id love tos tart a pirate station. you can get PCI cards that work as FM transmitters for a mile straight from your PC or hook up and aerial and transmit much further. Would love to do it if i thought you could get away with it but you'd probably end up being snared fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

you can get PCI cards that work as FM transmitters

Where? Paul I need more info!!! Can you order them in for me?

LushFM was a different station, operated by different people.

Right so the lads are now using 2 Chipped XBoxes with 80 gig disks in each full of songs, with the karaoke kit, A PC with much music on it and a GSM PC Modem for handling incoming text messages for requests etc.

Apparently its quite professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 THE_INSTALLER

Lads!!!! What are ye talking about. The music is great on it.
    Anyway, they only play what the public want's to hear,so if that is what peeps wanna hear...surely it must be what they are into???
    Anyway, it will be heard in portlaoise shortly....with a bit of luck.
    Them guy's are receiving over 200 text's per hour!!!
    Now that's not bad for a small station.

What frequency is it on? Must get a listen!

• Advertisement

You should know wouldnt you installer, lol.
    You work with his brother dont ya?

:-)

I was wondering how long it would take you to reply!!
    No I dont work with his brother.........I am his brother!!!

Ha!

Regard's

www.leinstertelecommunications.ie

?

Pclancy....you seem confused!!!
    I was referring to Ryo. He seems confused though, because I told him who I was a few months ago. :-)

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Monkey_Man

If you can hear flirt in pitty you the music is **** and all people do is insult each other

• Advertisement

Well..if you dont like...dont listen to it!

Oh right cool, I thought you were comeone else.

Keep us up to date with the station, and the goings on.

I notice its off the air most of the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

sometimes it's on 104.5fm, sometimes its on 88.8fm, i'd like to know how they change ti static frequencies, and where to get these PCI cards, as i'll probably start up a station myself, oh and Priest, if u like that music, i gave him most of it btw, any song i've heard on that, pretty much... came from me. so you could nearly say its mine :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Yeah poor music but can be funny-the insults are often outrageous pity again about the dodegy music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by BoobeR
    sometimes it's on 104.5fm, sometimes its on 88.8fm, i'd like to know how they change ti static frequencies, and where to get these PCI cards, as i'll probably start up a station myself, oh and Priest, if u like that music, i gave him most of it btw, any song i've heard on that, pretty much... came from me. so you could nearly say its mine :rolleyes:

yes id be the same way

Them PCI cards are cheap enough, and you can get a good uni-directional antenna and 20watt booster (ideally 20-25km range) for under 370 including delivery.

Ill post a link later.

Anyone wanna go halfs on one? LNA Fm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Nicewanbiy

pclancy wrote:
    is that the same blokes that were doin Lush FM back last year but got a solicitors letter from mildands 103 saying theyd report them to the licencing people if they didnt shut down???
    I was one of the lads involved, we'd a good laugh while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Any chance of something like that starting again? I'm dying to get my fingers into braodcasting again, use something like a pirate station to warm up again, before approaching the bigger fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

might i remind you that pirate radio is illegal

Fully aware of that. Same can be said of not paying your TV licence... think many people give a damn either way? (not an attack on the poster, just a general Q thrown out there).

Pirate radio like that is for fun. Its not like many listeners are going to influence the licensed broadcasters - ranges of pirate stations are barely 10 miles at best, and most aim for a very specific target audience too! Besides, many of the country's best jocks started out in pirate anyway over the years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Flirt FM? Isn't that the name of the community/college radio station in Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

Seanie M wrote:
    Fully aware of that. Same can be said of not paying your TV licence... think many people give a damn either way? (not an attack on the poster, just a general Q thrown out there).

Pirate radio like that is for fun. Its not like many listeners are going to influence the licensed broadcasters - ranges of pirate stations are barely 10 miles at best, and most aim for a very specific target audience too! Besides, many of the country's best jocks started out in pirate anyway over the years!

I think you are missing the point, what has fun got to do with it, many people do things for the fun with no consideration of the legalities or consequences? Not paying your tv licence, sure many people don't pay their tv licence, but that's not exactly considered something that makes a man "cool".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Flirt FM? Isn't that the name of the community/college radio station in Galway?
    Yes it is. Not only is this one a pirate... but they're also infringing on copyright.

It's stands for Freely Licensed Independent Radio Transmission by the way... but not a lot of people know that.

planck2 wrote:
    I think you are missing the point

Not at all, I understand completey. I am not trying to justify the existence of such a venture, I am only saying that, even as a DJ that has served time with some national stations in the past, not many, if any, pirate stations pose a threat, as they are on such a small scale and area-of-coverage, it is simply the if we need a licence, then you need a licence stand that the proper stations take.
    The 2 MAIN reasons that there is a licence regulating body in place is to ensure that the airwaves do not get cluttered with heaps of broadcasters, and also to ensure an even spread of coverage across the country (and by county). Pirates hardly measure up to the second point, so they barely affect the first.

Still, the law is the law. It is not for any of us to break it, even if deemd to be a silly law, no matter what it is. The simple rule is to follow the rule(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I remember the Irish Aviation Authority being particularly keen on shuting Sunshine down, as it was interfering with radio transmissions at Dublin Airport.
    Many locals in Portmarnock were also delighted, as Sunshine was all they could receive on FM, no matter where they tuned to.

A quick question if anyone can answer.

Are the authorities as quick to shut down illegal Church broadcasts as they are pirate stations.

No idea Occi. And it is funny you ask this... while listening to the FM transistor yesterday evening while havine a nice bar-b-q ( :D ), all of a sudden the station vanished (Beat 102/3). I barely touch the tuning knob when the local priests voice came over the air! I was picking him up across about 2/3 of the FM band... very annoying. There was a funeral mass on in the local church at the time I was told...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Occidental wrote:
    I remember the Irish Aviation Authority being particularly keen on shuting Sunshine down, as it was interfering with radio transmissions at Dublin Airport.
    Many locals in Portmarnock were also delighted, as Sunshine was all they could receive on FM, no matter where they tuned to.

A quick question if anyone can answer.

Are the authorities as quick to shut down illegal Church broadcasts as they are pirate stations.
    Comreg have now introduced a new licenceing scheme for churches to broadcast their services. Only problem is, there is only 1 frequency for the whole country!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Comreg have now introduced a new licenceing scheme for churches to broadcast their services. Only problem is, there is only 1 frequency for the whole country!!
    yes, but many churches could share this if they are geographically seperate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Rubbish, there are 80 channels available.

There's no excuse for churches to continue using Band 2 for their broadcasts, especially when they're interfering with commercial broadcasters (at least 1 I know of personally that was shut down recently), and potentially causing problems for the air band as most of the installations are done by amateurs with no regard for filtering, deviation limits, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement