Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting Individual Folders

• 06-01-2004 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi peeps,

I have a folder of personal files such as essays and stuff, which I value very much and am concerned about. Is there any way to paswword protect individual folders?

Im on win 2k and log in automatically as admin, I know I could block the folder for other profiles, but if anyone was using my computer Id have to go log them in, which is annoying.

Anyone know of a program (preferably free)/windows workaround to do this task?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Well if no one else in your family is very computer literate you could always set them as hidden files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

You could put the stuff in a password protected ZIP file.
    Or, maybe a password protected RAR file might be better?
    I think the password protected RAR files are pretty secure, well to prying eyes anyway. Might not stand up well to a full on attempt to open them.

Or you could look for some encryption software, i can't think of any off hand.

I'm sure you'll get some other suggestions.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

What I would do to hide my p0rn is create a user called... whatever. Then give that user full control of the folder and remove all other accounts from it. Then the only way for the user auto logging into the system to access the contents would be to go into the folder properties and then in to the security settings and take owenership of the folder.
    Unless they were pretty nifty with NT/2K/XP they wouldn't know how to access it.
    P0rn safe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by SickBoy
    Unless they were pretty nifty with NT/2K/XP they wouldn't know how to access it.

That's crafty SickBoy :D

Advertisement