Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 2k - identifying file duplication

Options
  • 06-01-2004 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Just going through my hard drive, and I know that I have duplicates of various files all over the place - copies of .jar files in various directories, some more out of date than others etc., a .zip file that I have in the 'My Download Files' and also a copy of it in the directory where it was unzipped.
    Individually, these files may only be tens or, at worst, hundreds of MB, but collectively I would think that there is quite a substantial amount of space taken up with this unneccesary replication. Sometimes the duplication is deliberate, but mostly (in my case anyway) it's inadvertent.

From the point of view of a tidying up the hard drive, is there a utility out there that will trawl through your drive identifying file duplication?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nasty interface and no preview but it does the job.

http://www.abc-view.com/checkidf/

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

used to use dupfinder, was pretty cool and easy to use try here http://www.mmds.republika.pl/ you might get a free version

21/25

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

have a look at spacemonger - if you want to recover space.

Also FSUM will generate checksums - you then sort them - this guarantees that file contents are indeed identical and not just same name /size /date

(on the stickies)

Advertisement