Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD widescreen TVs

Options
  • 06-01-2004 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

I'm checking out LCD widescreen TVs at the momement.
    Has anyone got one of any make, and if so how do they find it?
    I've had a look at the Sharp lc-30hv4e and was very impressed. Anyone got one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I've been holding off on LCD TVs because there appears to be a problem with audio-video sync. LCDs appear to have a built-in video delay of ~120ms. This manifests itself in a delay between what you hear and what you see.

If you put the audio through the TV also this won't be a problem (the manufacturers have compensated for this).

The problem will arise when you put your audio through a proper sound system (which, if you're investing in LCD technology, you probably have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah ive noticed this when playing DVD's. Audio is sent through my pc to the speakers. A small bit annoying IMA. Is it possible to eliminate this somehow like a better dvd player or something???

As far as I can tell it's not easily done. The problem is that the LCD screen needs time to process the video (I've seen it calculated at about 120ms).

In theory you could put a delay on the audio but you'd need syncronised delay on each of the 6 surround channels (or the 2 stereo channels) in order to do that..... not really a runner.

I'm not sure how the manufacturers are going to be able to deal with it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

That's interesting, and obviously somewhat worrying.

On the setup I saw there didn't seem to be any lag in the audio. The system was running the sound through a separate dvd player with surround sound and there didn't seem to be any issues. Is it possible that equipment from the same manufacturer can detect this lag and compensate?

Is this only an issue with LCDs or is this also a problem with Plasma too? Also, does the lag increase with the resolution?

Can't claim to be an expert on this - perhaps someone with more knowledge around LCD technology can jump in.

Some people notice this, some don't.
    I don't know if this is a function of the hardware, the software, a combination of both or the 'ability' of one person to notice the delay over another.

Some content will cover up the delay well however 120ms is a long time. You'll notice some material out-of-sync more than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

i notice it quite a bit.

Got a samsung 15" LCD. Its only on DVDs though. Have audio going from the DVD player to My comp through the Audigy Platinum Ex. Which also has to go through a sound card(Possible problem). And then to the speakers.

If you play the dvd through the Tv only theres no delay. But as you said it could have something to do whth the Brand/Quality of the amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

There's a good Italian brand called Hantarex . I think the Irish dealer for them has a site too - www.plasmaandlcdflatscreen.com, although it doesn't seem to be finished.

I don't see how the brand/quality of the amp will matter. The problem is with the LCD itself. The audio arrives out of the speakers in the normal time expected, the problem is that the video signal takes an extra 180ms (or so) to get through the hardware that makes it possible to display the signal on the LCD.

The reason that the integrated speakers work fine is that the manufacturer has compensated for this and delays the audio.

If listening through your PC it might be possible to delay the audio signal using software but you'd have to calculate/estimate the video delay time.

Hummm, I'd be using a dedicated DVD player and amp, I doubt I'd be able to artificially introduce a delay. I doubt that any dealers would let me borrow any of their hardware on trial either :)

I guess if I really want to follow this up I'd have to be willing to lug my DVD player and amp into the various dealers to check this lag problem.

just bring along a music DVD - preferably a live concert where you can check out the drummer or some sort of percussion - basically anything that will let you "see" a specific sound - you should "see" it and "hear" it at the same time.

Or a section in a DVD with very clear lip-sync.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Anybody seen that Dell's website is offering LCS tv's now...

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx?c=ie&id=lcd_w1700&l=en&s=dhs

Are they any good ??

Seem a bit pricey ... at 851 yoyos...

What cant we have this for 851 yoyos.. ??

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_lcd3?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I found that most of the ones I see in the shops don't have a great picture. The exception seems to be some (not all) of the high end Sony's. Thes a whole bunch of them in the Sony Shop on Stephens Green/Baggot St. One or two of them are noticeably better than the rest.

The colour balance can be off on a lot of them. Which is why they tend to show animation on them to demo them. All the bright colours make it hard to see. Bring a DVD with lots of people, skin tones and dark and bright lighting to give it a work out. Some fast actions scenes too.

Advertisement