Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Kman00 wrote: »
    Howdy Lads!
    Ive been a browser on here for years but this is actually my very first post.
    Im 18 years of age and I have my Provisional BW Drivers License and an M Provisional also.

My cousin is selling his RS50 and I told him I would buy it, just one small problem!

Although the bike is 50cc, I know for a fact it can go well over 45KM/H. Does this mean I am unable to drive it, as the M License states that you cant ride a bike which can breach that speed! Im a bit new to the biking scene so any help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

KMan

Yes, you'll need an A1 license. Looks like Aprilia says this'll go at 105kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

€35 to add the category to your permit and shur you may as well add the A2 while you're at it. You'll need your IBT too.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

sorry I can't find an answer to a doubt I have please...
    can I drive a 100cc scooter (power < 11kW) with my full driver's license, obtained in 1996 in EU?
    It's category B. I am 38 years old.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robnet77 wrote: »
    sorry I can't find an answer to a doubt I have please...
    can I drive a 100cc scooter (power < 11kW) with my full driver's license, obtained in 1996 in EU?
    It's category B. I am 38 years old.

Thanks!

No. You'll need to do a bike theory test, IBT, and get an A1, A2 or A learner permit.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

The first question is whether you've exchanged the foreign licence for an Irish one at this stage. If you have done in the past- when and which categories appear on the licence? You'd need A1 or higher for that bike.

If you have exchanged the foreign licence in the past then unless you can prove that you earned the A1 entitlement in the issuing country, it's most likely that you don't hold the entitlement. You could ring the NDLS with your driver number and ask which entitlements you hold. If you haven't exchanged, you're not obliged to do so but it may be beneficial to you to do so.

It's not impossible that you hold the entitlement for AM or A1 or higher on the back of the full B you got abroad. Even within the EU, at different times, 'automatic entitlements' such as getting AM or A1 automatically after passing the B test weren't harmonised so you won't necessarily know if you got a bike category automatically in 1996. If you hold the foreign entitlement but it doesn't appear on your foreign licence then you can either try to apply to them for a licence with all of your entitlements or you could apply to the NDLS to exchange your licence with the foreign 'letter of entitlement' from the issuing authority.

TL;DR - if you have a full entitlement for A1 from Ireland or abroad (whether it appears on the physical licence or not) then you can ride the bike. If not, you have to apply for a DTT, IBT etc etc as above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mayotobo

Howya lads, looking to get a bike licence. To get the "A" learner permit I must be at least 24. I am 24 in January. If the full license cannot be obtained until at least six months after obtaining a learner permit, at which time I will be 24, is it possible to get the "A" license. Or do I have to be 24 when I go for my IBT? It just seems daft that I'd have to do my IBT, get the restricted permit, do the test after six months and pay to do the IBT straight away afterwards to get the "A" license

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

mayotobo wrote: »
    Howya lads, looking to get a bike licence. To get the "A" learner permit I must be at least 24. I am 24 in January. If the full license cannot be obtained until at least six months after obtaining a learner permit, at which time I will be 24, is it possible to get the "A" license. Or do I have to be 24 when I go for my IBT? It just seems daft that I'd have to do my IBT, get the restricted permit, do the test after six months and pay to do the IBT straight away afterwards to get the "A" license

I think you'd be able to get an A2 LP now and once you turn 24 you could add the A category to your LP (probably before you take the test). But I dont think you'd be able to take the test with an A2 LP and come out with a full A licence regardless of age.

The above is correct. What's most pertinent to you at this stage is that if you want to get on bigger bikes and get a full licence ASAP without having to effectively go for IBT twice, you would be as well off to hang on for five months and get the A Learner Permit and A IBT.

You obviously can't hold the A learner category now and as far as I know you can't get an IBT to cover A (for use in the future) unless you hold the learner category. That means that to get on the road now you'll be getting the A2 learner category and A2 IBT cert. Yes, you can add the A category in January but if means you will have to take more IBT to validate your A learner category and then take your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mayotobo

cantdecide wrote: »
    The above is correct. What's most pertinent to you at this stage is that if you want to get on bigger bikes and get a full licence ASAP without having to effectively go for IBT twice, you would be as well off to hang on for five months and get the A Learner Permit and A IBT.

You obviously can't hold the A learner category now and as far as I know you can't get an IBT to cover A (for use in the future) unless you hold the learner category. That means that to get on the road now you'll be getting the A2 learner category and A2 IBT cert. Yes, you can add the A category in January but if means you will have to take more IBT to validate your A learner category and then take your test.

Looks like wait until January so! At least the five month wait can allow me to free up some extra cash so as to not cheap out on the gear etc. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I do hate asking questions on forums that can be answered with research and it seems like a lazy thing to do, however, I could not dig out the answer to this one. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

mayotobo wrote: »
    Looks like wait until January so! At least the five month wait can allow me to free up some extra cash so as to not cheap out on the gear etc. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I do hate asking questions on forums that can be answered with research and it seems like a lazy thing to do, however, I could not dig out the answer to this one. Thanks again

The "new" licencing laws can be difficult to get your head around at first! At least that's what I found when they were introduced! I remember my IBT instructor was a little bit hazy on them as well! But yeh a bit of a wait isn't a bad idea, bit more cash for the bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Anyone know if IBT instructors will accept grants as a payment? I know someone who's interested in being a courier and the local employment agency are willing to fund his IBT if he can get a form filled out from an instructor

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Anyone know if IBT instructors will accept grants as a payment? I know someone who's interested in being a courier and the local employment agency are willing to fund his IBT if he can get a form filled out from an instructor

Yes, this should be no problem. I have had this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Janey mac. Will they pay his insurance as well? Maybe buy him a bike and put petrol in it? FFS

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Random one, just renewing my insurance fully comp with corn market. It includes third party for cars :confused::confused::confused: Anyone notice that before thats one handy add-on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Doylers wrote: »
    Random one, just renewing my insurance fully comp with corn market. It includes third party for cars :confused::confused::confused: Anyone notice that before thats one handy add-on

When my renewal came through it had that and I queried it as im learning to drive. They said it was an error. Looks like they copied the renewal template for a car policy and entered my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

GBX wrote: »
    When my renewal came through it had that and I queried it as im learning to drive. They said it was an error. Looks like they copied the renewal template for a car policy and entered my details.

Surely if the insurance docs say it though and you were to drive they'd have to cover you.

Could it not be viewed like a contract if another party put something in a contract that both signed accidentally its their bad but they agreed to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

What bike would ye recommend for a newbie looking to learn,
    28y.o. that's been with a full car licence for 10 years.
    I'm 5'10 (I think!) and under 10 stone.

I went to bikeworld last week and sat on a few, the Yamaha R3 seemed very low, as in both my feet were fully able to touch the ground while sitting.
    Is there such a thing as too low?
    Ninja 300 was a little higher, while a Er6f was higher again.
    I was very much on my tippy toes with the bigger bike.

Not too pushed on mad power, but would like something semi exciting, and that can commute for 50min journeys on a good national road. I just don't want to fall off due to my own stupidity starting off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

measure yourself properly then go on http://cycle-ergo.com/

You should be putting your right foot up on the back brake, and your left foot flat down on the ground. If you can get anything more than the tips of your toes down, you're good to go. You can get big boots to help, and worst case scenario have the seat shaved or the bike lowered.

micknail wrote: »
    What bike would ye recommend for a newbie looking to learn,
    28y.o. that's been with a full car licence for 10 years.
    I'm 5'10 (I think!) and under 10 stone.

I went to bikeworld last week and sat on a few, the Yamaha R3 seemed very low, as in both my feet were fully able to touch the ground while sitting.
    Is there such a thing as too low?
    Ninja 300 was a little higher, while a Er6f was higher again.
    I was very much on my tippy toes with the bigger bike.

Not too pushed on mad power, but would like something semi exciting, and that can commute for 50min journeys on a good national road. I just don't want to fall off due to my own stupidity starting off!

I recommend just doing your IBT and if your instructor can offer you a few different bikes to try, just see what feels better to you. If you stick with biking, you'll figure out where you want to go in time. Your preferences will evolve. You won't have to worry too much about power- you will have 'normal' bikes available to you to learn which you could use to scare your poop out but the ground is just as hard not matter what you fall off. The best choice you can make for your own safety is to take the training very very seriously. The bike itself will be secondary.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Why is the FAQ based on info from 2004???

Surely it's time for it to be updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Hi lads, hoping someone can clear this up for me.

I'm looking at getting back in to driving a bike around, held a provisional licence around 2005.

I now have a full car licence, but from my reading it looks like I have to do the IBT course which could cost me €500+ just for the lessons, plus I have to redo the theory test.

Is that correct?

As regards the theory test, my guess is that you probably don't have to repeat it but there are a couple of provisos. If you did the theory test prior to 2005 and have a relatively unbroken record since (ie never let your permits and/ or full licences expire for longer than 5/10 years respectively), then you probably still have a valid 'Type 1 AMBW' theory test on file which will remain valid in perpetuity. If in doubt, call the NDLS and confirm whether or not you have a valid 'T1 AMBW DTT' on file.

From what you say, it looks like you'll be starting over for the motorcycle categories of your choice and yes, you will need complete IBT in order to validate the learner categories (ie effectively, the learner permit is issued in anticipation of completing your training). The regime that exists now more or less makes it so you may as well just jump in fully. The days of lads casually getting provisionals and having a rideabout on summer days is more or less a thing of the past. The thing to remember about IBT is that it's effectively training you to take your test so you may as well just wipe the whole lot out.

As regards the theory test, my guess is that you probably don't have to repeat it but there are a couple of provisos. If you did the theory test prior to 2005 and have a relatively unbroken record since (ie never let your permits and/ or full licences expire for longer than 5/10 years respectively), then you probably still have a valid 'Type 1 AMBW' theory test on file which will remain valid in perpetuity. If in doubt, call the NDLS and confirm whether or not you have a valid 'T1 AMBW DTT' on file.

From what you say, it looks like you'll be starting over for the motorcycle categories of your choice and yes, you will need complete IBT in order to validate the learner categories (ie effectively, the learner permit is issued in anticipation of completing your training). The regime that exists now more or less makes it so you may as well just jump in fully. The days of lads casually getting provisionals and having a rideabout on summer days is more or less a thing of the past. The thing to remember about IBT is that it's effectively training you to take your test so you may as well just wipe the whole lot out.

Cheers for that cantdecide.

Have to redo my Theory Test for the motorbike as my previous provisional licence has long since expired, making me feel very very old indeed.

Will start doing some research on bikes now, looking at something like the Keeway Superlight or other Cruiser model.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Have to redo my Theory Test for the motorbike as my previous provisional licence has long since expired, making me feel very very old indeed.

Have you found that out for sure? If you passed the theory test I mentioned above and subsequently passed the driving test, holding the full licence it keeps the theory test live and valid forever regardless of whether you've held permits in the meantime. That theory test covered cars and bikes.

Trust me on this - there are a lots and lots of people in your kind of position that take a theory test when they simply don't have to. They will take your money.

Have you found that out for sure? If you passed the theory test I mentioned above and subsequently passed the driving test, holding the full licence it keeps the theory test live and valid forever regardless of whether you've held permits in the meantime. That theory test covered cars and bikes.

Trust me on this - there are a lots and lots of people in your kind of position that take a theory test when they simply don't have to. They will take your money.

I called up the NDLS today to confirm. I got my provisional licence in 2003 and it expired in 2005. As it's been over 10 years since it expired I have to redo the theory test. The big annoyance is that I can't do it until May 9th.

Thankfully I have a guy sorted for doing the IBT and have booked into the NDLS itself on the 10th.

I honestly don't mind having to redo the test, it's honestly a cake walk anyway, more just annoyed at the time to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I did my theory test in 2004 and have had a full B license with no breaks. I've been ringing the RSA and NDLS this morning and all have told me I need to retake the theory test to apply for a learner permit for category A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

To follow up on my last post. See Pg 10 & 11 of the Driver Licensing Guide.

https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/DrivingLicence/driver-licensing-in-ireland-a-guide.pdf
    You do not have to pass the same theory test more than once. So, for example, if you pass the
    theory test for category C and obtain a learner permit for category C1, and you subsequently
    wish to obtain a learner permit for category C, you don’t have to take another driver theory test
    – provided you still have a valid learner permit or driver licence for category C1.

If you got your license before 2006, you should have categories AM, B and W on it. To get these you would have had to do the theory test, so as above, you won't need to re-do the test assuming your permit/license is still valid (not expired more than 10 years).

I went down to the NDLS this morning and got my learner permit without an issue.

Thanks again to cantdecide!

No worries, buddy.

Good schtuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MikeShiner

I'm looking into learning how to ride a motorcycle. I've zero experience. I know what I need to do in regards to doing the theory test and then the IBT but what I want to know is, what is a good bike to start off with?

I've been told a Kawasaki Ninja 250 but it might need a restrictor and what would a 30 year old be looking at in terms of insurance costs for a bike of this nature?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

MikeShiner wrote: »
    I'm looking into learning how to ride a motorcycle. I've zero experience. I know what I need to do in regards to doing the theory test and then the IBT but what I want to know is, what is a good bike to start off with?

I've been told a Kawasaki Ninja 250 but it might need a restrictor and what would a 30 year old be looking at in terms of insurance costs for a bike of this nature?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunatley there is no general answer. The only way to get a proper idea is call the insurance companies. You could do a dummy quote on the Liberty site here to get an idea of one. Then give Principal, Axa and Carole Nash a call
    https://quotes.libertyinsurance.ie/IFI/publicviewquestions.do?productcode=QMB&corpunit=GEI

Advertisement