Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Not going to get into a "how valuable is your head" debate,

Oh I know, I've already read the 'if you've got a cheap head get a cheap helmet' thing....

I'm just interested in what has been left out in the cheap ones? there must be some people buying them, otherwise they would not be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Lidl helmets are perfectly fine. I have one as a spare.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

ninja900 wrote: »
    The Lidl helmets are perfectly fine. I have one as a spare.

Might be handy as a spare/back-up but I certainly wouldn't be using it day in, day out. That's what my Shark/HJC/KBC is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Most people base their gear of choice on how well it held up in a skid down the road. If you crash wearing an Arai/Shoei/Shark etc. and don't end up with any head injury, you're obviously going to hold that brand to a higher value that no amount of money can measure. Same goes for leather jacket, boots, gloves and pants.

My bf and I have both crashed wearing Arais and have not suffered head or neck injuries so we're sticking with Arai.

Best thing to do is go to one of the larger bike shops (they'll have a larger selection of helmets) and try on as many as you want until you find the best fit. It's all fine thinking you want an Arai, for example, but it may not provide you with the best fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Amazes me people using €70 lids and cheaper as a main helmet....when you actually break it down it means that the lid is prolly made for €30 and sold to the distributor who adds his mark up!!! So the lid is prolly only made with the ****tiest stuff to be able to be sold at a final price of €70 after everyone gets a cut.

You dont have to pay mad money for a lid either, but get a brand that actually uses high quality materials and does a little bit of R&D after all....

"YOUR WORTH IT"

:D

• Advertisement

Who cares, they all pass the same tests. There are differences in weight, noise, style/badge snobbery, build quality etc. but when it comes down to it they're all made to do the same job in pretty much the same way.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

what do people who wear glasses do?

I have done a bit of googling, and can only seem to find motorbike sunglasses, not really an option for all types of conditions.

I have seen prescription diving masks, that cover the whole face, can a visor be got with a prescription builtin? (I know that the price would be crasy if they are available)

contacts are not an option for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

kierank01 wrote: »

I have done a bit of googling, and can only seem to find motorbike sunglasses, not really an option for all types of conditions.

I have seen prescription diving masks, that cover the whole face, can a visor be got with a prescription builtin? (I know that the price would be crasy if they are available)

i dont imagine you will get a prescription visor, firstly as both your eyes look through nearly all of the visor, its not like a pair of glasses which sit straight in front of your eyes...

I usually put my glasses on after the helmet, threading the ear pieces through making sure they sit on my ear, then its just part of my routine taking them off before my helmet, i do have a spare set at work just in case i break them..

one thing about glasses is they are likely to fog over from your breath, i use mud-off anti fog stuff on my glasses and have an anti fog visor. never had any problems.. i also have prescription sunglasses which i use but normally in the summer i just use a tinted visor as its easier with the glasses..

When i bought my helmet i made sure that the glasses fit comfortably and that they can be put on without bending the frames too much, as when you are putting on the ear pieces they may catch on the side and bend slightly..

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Most people base their gear of choice on how well it held up in a skid down the road. If you crash wearing an Arai/Shoei/Shark etc. and don't end up with any head injury, you're obviously going to hold that brand to a higher value that no amount of money can measure. Same goes for leather jacket, boots, gloves and pants.

My bf and I have both crashed wearing Arais and have not suffered head or neck injuries so we're sticking with arai
    Hi pixie
    had a great laugh reading this theory, thanks.
    I went straight out and threw myself down the road to see if i could base my choice of gear on the severity of injuries i received. I am definitely getting an arai once i get out of hospital. I think that assuming a lot of newbies read this thread maybe it's not a great idea to tell them that your experience is what most of us do. I would rather read reviews and ask advise from others in the know.
    AFAIK not everyone crashes so I don't know how good my gear is yet. Rather not find out tbh.
    I know i know my reply is sarcastic but did you read your remarks properly before posting?.

P.S don't be too mad with me I know what your trying to say.

Roadskill wrote: »
    Hi pixie
    I went straight out and threw myself down the road to see if i could base my choice of gear on the severity of injuries i received. I am definitely getting an arai once i get out of hospital. I think that assuming a lot of newbies read this thread maybe it's not a great idea to tell them that your experience is what most of us do. I would rather read reviews and ask advise from others in the know.
    AFAIK not everyone crashes so I don't know how good my gear is yet. Rather not find out tbh.
    I know i know my reply is sarcastic but did you read your remarks properly before posting?.

If you know what I am saying then what is the point of your post?

Can't even be bothered replying to this BS.

• Advertisement

If you know what I am saying then what is the point of your post?

Can't even be bothered replying to this BS.

Don't be like that ;). Take it on the chin like all the BS Instructors have to deal with on these sites. Not too bad here but over on the ther side Jesus we are crucified if we say anything. Until someone wants something that is.:rolleyes:

Don't be like that ;). Take it on the chin like all the BS Instructors have to deal with on these sites. Not too bad here but over on the ther side Jesus we are crucified if we say anything. Until someone wants something that is.:rolleyes:

If you're pissed off with the BS instructors have to deal with, that's not my problem, I'm not a mod, take it up with one if you're unhappy with how you are treated here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Hi pixie

Come on Bikernut, I don't think there was a need for a smart arse remark like that, she's right in what she said. I use gear based on how it held up in accidents that mates have had. I know which helmets/jackets/boots hold out well in an accident. I have been pleasantly surprised how "entry level" gear like RST and HJC have held up in an accident I had myself recently, and I have new gear of the same brand ordered as replacements!! She's just giving her opinion based on experience, I don't see a problem with that TBH.

Come on Bikernut, I don't think there was a need for a smart arse remark like that, she's right in what she said. I use gear based on how it held up in accidents that mates have had. I know which helmets/jackets/boots hold out well in an accident. I have been pleasantly surprised how "entry level" gear like RST and HJC have held up in an accident I had myself recently, and I have new gear of the same brand ordered as replacements!! She's just giving her opinion based on experience, I don't see a problem with that TBH.

When I had my off in April I was wearing Frank Thomas textile pants. When I crashed these burst open at the inside seam on both legs, all the protective padding came loose and all the stuffing in the trousers came out. I suffered serious road rash to my legs and a horrible gash to my left knee which needed stitching and I now have a lovely scar on my knee. Now, I know Frank Thomas are no longer in operation but if they were, you can be guaranteed I would never buy FT gear again after that. On the other hand, I was wearing a Richa leather jacket which didn't rip at all, although it is covered in scuffs from where I slid down the road, all the protective pads did their job perfectly and I suffered no upper torso injuries at all so obviously I think Richa gear is the business. I'm pretty sure any sensible person could manage to understand that from my earlier post.

Agreed and nothing wrong with that at all. But sometimes a post can be interpreted the wrong way so it's important for newbies to have a clear and accurate description as a lot of them take these forums seriously and can misinterpret things. I tend to read them as if I were researching as a newbie which helps me to understand and help them when they are learning to ride. (Maybe i take it too serious:confused:) I feel that sometimes when riders give advise they forget that although we understand what we're writing newbies could see it differently.
    When I had my off in April I was wearing Frank Thomas textile pants. When I crashed these burst open at the inside seam on both legs, all the protective padding came loose and all the stuffing in the trousers came out. I suffered serious road rash to my legs and a horrible gash to my left knee which needed stitching and I now have a lovely scar on my knee. Now, I know Frank Thomas are no longer in operation but if they were, you can be guaranteed I would never buy FT gear again after that. On the other hand, I was wearing a Richa leather jacket which didn't rip at all, although it is covered in scuffs from where I slid down the road, all the protective pads did their job perfectly and I suffered no upper torso injuries at all so obviously I think Richa gear is the business. I'm pretty sure any sensible person could manage to understand that from my earlier post.

Pixie
    I'm sorry about your off. A nasty experience for anybody. The way I read your earlier post made me chuckle and not because I was taking the piss but the way I read it. Maybe a tad insensitive (I apologise) but the above quote is what I would take as good advise due to your accident outcome. All I am saying is forget about your personal account of the accident as that is a sensitive and painful thing and read it out loud to yourself as if telling a story. Just my odd sense of humour maybe.
    I was hoping original reply would be taken in the same way. ;)
    No offence intended.

Agreed and nothing wrong with that at all. But sometimes a post can be interpreted the wrong way so it's important for newbies to have a clear and accurate description as a lot of them take these forums seriously and can misinterpret things. I tend to read them as if I were researching as a newbie which helps me to understand and help them when they are learning to ride. (Maybe i take it too serious:confused:) I feel that sometimes when riders give advise they forget that although we understand what we're writing newbies could see it differently.

Pixie
    I'm sorry about your off. A nasty experience for anybody. The way I read your earlier post made me chuckle and not because I was taking the piss but the way I read it. Maybe a tad insensitive (I apologise) but the above quote is what I would take as good advise due to your accident outcome. All I am saying is forget about your personal account of the accident as that is a sensitive and painful thing and read it out loud to yourself as if telling a story. Just my odd sense of humour maybe.
    I was hoping original reply would be taken in the same way. ;)
    No offence intended.

I really don't understand what you are trying to get at here and as much as you try to insist that your posts were meant to be read humourously, I don't believe that was your intent. Nothing about my earlier post in this thread was difficult to understand, you seem to be turning it into something it's not.

I'm just going to leave it at this because you're dragging the thread completely away from it's intended purpose and I don't think that's beneficial to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I use a hybrid helmet that opens at the face, it's extremely handy for glasses. I rarely close the visor so don't get much fogging. Glasses WILL fog when the visor is closed, though I've found singing limits how much it fogs. :)

though I've found singing limits how much it fogs. :)

Any songs in particular, or is it just like singing in the shower :P

Any songs in particular, or is it just like singing in the shower :P

The most commonly sung one is

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can get a helmet without the chinbar or flip-up helmet.

open2.jpg

• Advertisement

Dunno what people think the big deal is about glasses and helmets, I've never had any issue, there's certainly no need to get a flip lid just because you wear glasses. I can't see how it would be comfortable to put a lid on while already wearing glasses, and if you still have the glasses on when removing the lid they'll go flying.

Get a flip lid if that's what you want, but they're more expensive, don't usually offer as much protection to the chin/face, and are heavier (so higher risk of a neck injury)

A Foggy mask is great for stopping glasses fogging up, between that and a Pinlock visor there's no need any more for messing around with anti-fog sprays.

Dunno what people think the big deal is about glasses and helmets, I've never had any issue, there's certainly no need to get a flip lid just because you wear glasses. I can't see how it would be comfortable to put a lid on while already wearing glasses, and if you still have the glasses on when removing the lid they'll go flying.

Get a flip lid if that's what you want, but they're more expensive, don't usually offer as much protection to the chin/face, and are heavier (so higher risk of a neck injury)

A Foggy mask is great for stopping glasses fogging up, between that and a Pinlock visor there's no need any more for messing around with anti-fog sprays.

Flip ups are FAR more flexible at the sides of the face, putting on and off the helmet with glasses on is no problem at all. They never go flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

Check out some of the helmet tests on Youtube. I always wear Arai on the basis that they, to my knowledge, are the only manufacturer to have the complete bank of tests carried out on one lid whereas everyone else uses a new one for each individual test.

But to be honest if you are involved in a crash which tests your helmet, cheap or otherwise, to its design limits, you're in serious trouble from all the other injuries you'll have suffered.

Sorry to be so grim :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chinaman666

Quick question;

I have a full car driving license and i'm going to apply for an A class learner permit. Do I need to sit a motorcycle theory test again or can i proceed directly to applying for a learner permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Quick question;

I have a full car driving license and i'm going to apply for an A class learner permit. Do I need to sit a motorcycle theory test again or can i proceed directly to applying for a learner permit.

Starting from scratch unfortunately.

Do I need to sit a motorcycle theory test again

This question suggests that you have already sat the motorcycle theory test...If that is the case, you shouldn't need to do so...within a certain time frame...but if you haven't sat the motorcycle theory test, then yes you do need to take the test....

I eventually got a shoei, with a pinlock insert, an it is fine for glasses, and sunglasses

I am over 24, and am upgrading my restricted A to an unrestricted A permit.
    I have had to sent the current permit with the application.

What is the legal position regarding riding without a permit on my person, while the application is being processed?

I have a photocopy of the existing permit, and the IBT cert(which you can't get without a permit), will that be enough if I get stopped by a copper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

You'll normally get a receipt when you go in for a new licence of any kind. This was enough when I got stopped by the Gardaí at a random checkpoint before. They saw I had Tax, Insurance and that the bike was restricted. Happy enough with the receipt as proof of having a licence.

• Advertisement

Soundman wrote: »
    You'll normally get a receipt when you go in for a new licence of any kind. This was enough when I got stopped by the Gardaí at a random checkpoint before. They saw I had Tax, Insurance and that the bike was restricted. Happy enough with the receipt as proof of having a licence.

This. The lady behind the desk when I sent mine off even said it's for if you get stopped by the Gardaí. The new LP won't take any more than 5 working days anyway I think. I got mine in 3 somehow.

Advertisement