Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

This. The lady behind the desk when I sent mine off even said it's for if you get stopped by the Gardaí. The new LP won't take any more than 5 working days anyway I think. I got mine in 3 somehow.

cool, but I posted mine in...was it 3 days for the new credit card sized one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yeah, mine took three days, applied on the Tuesday woke up to it on the Friday. I doubt yours will be much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

kierank01 wrote: »
    I am over 24, and am upgrading my restricted A to an unrestricted A permit.
    I have had to sent the current permit with the application.

What is the legal position regarding riding without a permit on my person, while the application is being processed?

I have a photocopy of the existing permit, and the IBT cert(which you can't get without a permit), will that be enough if I get stopped by a copper?
    Yeah, mine took three days, applied on the Tuesday woke up to it on the Friday. I doubt yours will be much longer.

Just got mine in the door today...almost a month rolleyes.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dpp v mcgee

Does anyone know what the deal is with removing motorcycle helmets in stores?

I went to a gas station last week, went into pay for the petrol and didn't remove my helmet. The guy said to me do you know that's illegal to wear a helmet inside a store. I said no I didn't but said to him do you ask women who wear Burkas to do the same or are motorcyclists more prone to theft?

Is that bordering on the defamation side to ask someone to remove a motorcycle helmet or has a shopkeeper a right to refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Does anyone know what the deal is with removing motorcycle helmets in stores?

I went to a gas station last week, went into pay for the petrol and didn't remove my helmet. The guy said to me do you know that's illegal to wear a helmet inside a store. I said no I didn't but said to him do you ask women who wear Burkas to do the same or are motorcyclists more prone to theft?

Is that bordering on the defamation side to ask someone to remove a motorcycle helmet or has a shopkeeper a right to refuse?

No it's not illegal but shops do reserve the right to refuse admission. I'm presuming it's a full face helmet? Shops rarely have a problem with flip lids and unless i'm paying at a window I'd always take my full face helmet off. First off it's just good manners and secondly they might feel intimidated by someone approaching a till with a helmet on.

I'd love to know what you definition of "defamation" is. Did he accuse you of anything? Other than poor manners that is.

• Advertisement

Poor manners? I'm there to make a business transaction and how a shop assistant interprets that isn't really a concern for me. By the way, I new the guy, he just didn't know me with the helmet on.

flyton5 wrote: »
    I'd love to know what you definition of "defamation" is. Did he accuse you of anything? Other than poor manners that is.

Asking someone to remove their helmet can be construed as implying that they might commit a crime.

Poor manners? I'm there to make a business transaction and how a shop assistant interprets that isn't really a concern for me. By the way, I new the guy, he just didn't know me with the helmet.

It's a concern for him. He was wrong about it being illegal but having worked in a shop I can see why he'd ask you to remove it. I know it's only a helmet but it's still a common courtesy to remove it in a shop. Covering your face in a shop is bound to make the staff feel ill at ease. Start a thread about it and see do other biker boardsies take theirs off. I'll bet they do.

Asking someone to remove their helmet can be construed as implying that they might commit a crime.

No it can't. Would you wear it into a bank?

It's a concern for him. He was wrong about it being illegal but having worked in a shop I can see why he'd ask you to remove it. I know it's only a helmet but it's still a common courtesy to remove it in a shop. Covering your face in a shop is bound to make the staff feel ill at ease. Start a thread about it and see do other biker boardsies take theirs off. I'll bet they do.

Common courtesy to who? If someone who choses to wear a Burka enters a shop to purchase goods and isn't asked to remove their veil then I don't see why motorcyclists are such exceptional cases that they ought to.

• Advertisement

No it can't. Would you wear it into a bank?

Ya, if I felt I wanted to prove a point I would.

Common courtesy to who? If someone who choses to wear Burka enters a shop to purchase goods and isn't asked to remove their veil then I don't see why motorcyclists are such exceptional cases that they ought to.

How many cases do you reckon there are there a year of women in Burkas robbing shop tills? And then how many cases do you reckon there are there of people in motorcycle helmets robbing shop tills? Seems like you're grasping at straws with this argument. Start the thread and see. Maybe attach a nice poll. If you're going to incorporate the burka thing maybe stick it in AH. Or tweet Garda traffic and ask for their opinion.

Ya, if I felt I wanted to prove a point I would.

You're taking the mick now. Goodnight

How many cases do you reckon there are there a year of women in Burkas robbing shop tills? And then how many cases do you reckon there are there of people in motorcycle helmets robbing shop tills? Seems like you're grasping at straws with this argument. Start the thread and see. Maybe attach a nice poll. If you're going to incorporate the burka thing maybe stick it in AH. Or tweet Garda traffic and ask for their opinion.

Ok I will

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 Madmix_

Hi guys, I am little bit confused so I want to ask you just to be sure. I am 22 years old and I want to get cat A licence.
    So because of my age I can only apply for cat A2, and for full driving licence I need to pass Initial Basic Training Modules 1, 3 and 5 + driving test. Is this correct?
    Then after 2 years of holding full A2 I can apply for cat A without any tests? or I have to pass practical test again?
    Why I didnt do cat A licence when I was 18 and it was easier than nowdays =(((

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Madmix_ wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am little bit confused so I want to ask you just to be sure. I am 22 years old and I want to get cat A licence.
    So because of my age I can only apply for cat A2, and for full driving licence I need to pass Initial Basic Training Modules 1, 3 and 5 + driving test. Is this correct?
    Then after 2 years of holding full A2 I can apply for cat A without any tests? or I have to pass practical test again?
    Why I didnt do cat A licence when I was 18 and it was easier than nowdays =(((

Nothing stopping you getting an A2 learner permit, doing the IBT and just adding the 'A' category to the permit when you reach 24 and then applying to do the full test on the A bike. The progression route applies where you hold a full licence in a smaller bike. By waiting until you are 24, you can apply directly to do the test on the 'A'.

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you getting an A2 learner permit, doing the IBT and just adding the 'A' category to the permit when you reach 24 and then applying to do the full test on the A bike. The progression route applies where you hold a full licence in a smaller bike. By waiting until you are 24, you can apply directly to do the test on the 'A'.

Incorrect. He will have to do IBT twice regardless. The second time it will be done on an unrestricted A Test suitable bike though.

Incorrect. He will have to do IBT twice regardless. The second time it will be done on an unrestricted A Test suitable bike though.

wow... are you serious? that doesn't make any sense... I guess the best thing for me will be to wait 2 more years =//

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Also incorrect, you will not have to do IBT twice, you would only have to do IBT module 5 on a category 'A' bike, (11-hours), not the complete course.

Madmix_ wrote: »
    wow... are you serious? that doesn't make any sense... I guess the best thing for me will be to wait 2 more years =//

No it wouldn't. If you want to get on a bike, you can get some pretty decent bikes in the A2 category. It'll cost you an extra 250 or something in 2 years. Get one now, don't waste time and become one of the thousands of 40 year olds who wish they had gotten a bike.

• Advertisement

No it wouldn't. If you want to get on a bike, you can get some pretty decent bikes in the A2 category. It'll cost you an extra 250 or something in 2 years. Get one now, don't waste time and become one of the thousands of 40 year olds who wish they had gotten a bike.

You are right, I just signed for theory test. Should pass it no problem.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Duckzilla

Hi lads just looking for advice on insurance? I'm 18 just got the A2 permit.
    I got 1 year NCB on a 125cc.

I rang up liberty looking for a quote on a bigger bike e.g DRZ 400 but they said I have to be over 21 regardless to upgrade?

Can anybody shed some light on this or will I just have to settle upping to a 250?
    Cheers

Duckzilla wrote: »
    Hi lads just looking for advice on insurance? I'm 18 just got the A2 permit.
    I got 1 year NCB on a 125cc.

I rang up liberty looking for a quote on a bigger bike e.g DRZ 400 but they said I have to be over 21 regardless to upgrade?

Can anybody shed some light on this or will I just have to settle upping to a 250?
    Cheers

Did you get an insurance assessment when you did IBT? If you did, tell them that, if it's a decent one and they might insure you.

Or tell them you have already bought a bike, have one in mind with the entire details and try getting a quote then. The are more likely to quote when you have the actual bike.

Did you get an insurance assessment when you did IBT? If you did, tell them that, if it's a decent one and they might insure you.

Or tell them you have already bought a bike, have one in mind with the entire details and try getting a quote then. The are more likely to quote when you have the actual bike.

Ya i got a level 1 assessment. They told me eff off every time. Tried asking them could i change motorcycle from 125 to a wr 250 and they said I have to have Full "A" to change?

another question? i got my A2 today...do i gotta do stage 5 ibt or just wait to progress to the full A in 2 years time? These new rules are confusing as f**k

Ya i got a level 1 assessment. They told me eff off every time. Tried asking them could i change motorcycle from 125 to a wr 250 and they said I have to have Full "A" to change?

another question? i got my A2 today...do i gotta do stage 5 ibt or just wait to progress to the full A in 2 years time? These new rules are confusing as f**k

You'll need to do Mod 5.

Who did you get a Level 1 from? Had you ridden a lot of bikes before it?

You'll need to do Mod 5.

Who did you get a Level 1 from? Had you ridden a lot of bikes before it?

Got it while i done my IBT with him last year.

started riding in fields when i was 13 but done a little motocross couple years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Got it from Declan o donovan while i done my IBT with him last year.

started riding in fields when i was 13 but done a little motocross couple years ago.

Are you sure it's a level 1?. That's RoSPA gold and police class 1 riding standard.

Roadskill wrote: »
    Are you sure it's a level 1?. That's RoSPA gold and police class 1 riding standard.[/QUOTE

My bad forgot totally about the levels and didn't check the the copy I have. Got level 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Roadskill wrote: »
    Are you sure it's a level 1?. That's RoSPA gold and police class 1 riding standard.[/QUOTE

My bad forgot totally about the levels and didn't check the the copy I have. Got level 4

I thought that might be the case. Easy mistake to make. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Kman00

Howdy Lads!
    Ive been a browser on here for years but this is actually my very first post.
    Im 18 years of age and I have my Provisional BW Drivers License and an M Provisional also.

My cousin is selling his RS50 and I told him I would buy it, just one small problem!

Although the bike is 50cc, I know for a fact it can go well over 45KM/H. Does this mean I am unable to drive it, as the M License states that you cant ride a bike which can breach that speed! Im a bit new to the biking scene so any help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

KMan

Advertisement