Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 3 Arena LAN setup

Options
  • 22-02-2000 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

This is probably not the place to post this question - but what the hell! - here goes anyway.

Trying to set up a LAN q3 game using twisted pair BNC network (OK I'm a cheapskate - hehe!) & am encountering the following problems:-

#1 client pcs try and dial out every time they try to connect to the server - is there any way around this?

#2 gameplay starts off fine (pinging around 16 of 17) but over time starts to breakdown and suffer some serious lag or packet loss before the whole thing grinds to a halt with pings of about 50 / 60 (totally unacceptable for a lan!)

HELP!!!!!!!

[red]Arclight[/red][frown]

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It may have something to do with the fact that you are using BNC!!!!

Dont roll your chair back over the cable smile.gif

Seriously dish out a few quid (not much) and get an ethernet card and some CAT5 cable.
    In fact, I'll donate some cat5 cable for you to help you on your way smile.gif

Seriously, use ethernet and a small hub the lot might cost you 60 quid total for two machines and a mini hub.

Dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

If I may:

The PCs trying to dial out sounds a bit Windows 98 like to me. If it is W98 ure running, (I might also happen in W95 with IE5). Open Internet Explorer, and go to 'Internet Options', Click on 'connections' and then set it to 'Never dial a connection'.

The crappy network connects is a BNC thing. Basically, it's a load of poo, and should be thrown away at the earliest opportunity. smile.gif Do make sure, however, that the BNC cables have been correctly terminated at each card, with the proper resistance. Failure to do this sets up a standing wave on the line, and causes signal degredation. Try copying large files accross machines to see if the line goes all crappy that way. If it does, it's definitely hardware related.

DeV is spot on though RJ45 and CAT is the way forward. If ure only using two machines you don't even need a hub. A crossover RJ45 cable can be made. (I do it every day). This even allows 100 Meg speeds if 2 10/100 cards are used.

Hmmmm, sub 5 pings, Hmmmm.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

Advertisement