Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 Server Issue

Options
  • 06-01-2004 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Mornin

I have a Windows 2000 Advance Server box. Problem is this

Machine has 1.5 GB Ram and 240 Gigs HDD (Comprised of 2 120GB IDE ATA133 HDD each with 2 Partitions)

When i use the Windows Defrag tool i can only connect to 3 of the 4 partitions. One gives memory error (XXXXXXX cannot be read)

The partition that gives this error is the 1st partition on the slave drive.

Unfortunately the system also has 2 optical drives, so both hard disks are on the same IDE cable to the motherboard.

I would like to try and sortout this problem in case it leads to a HD crash or something like such. The partition has only 20 or so gigs out of 60 taken up.

In case this matters

CPU is a Athlon XP 2400 (266 FSB)
    Mobo is a MSI KT600 Delta FISR-2

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC the defrag utility / NTFS can only handle up to certain cluster sizes or was that for compression??

Try contig on http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/contig.shtml
    contig *.* -v -a
    Verbose Analysis - ie. don't defrag yet just to see if it gives an error message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I'd recommend that you run
    chkdsk /f
    on the offending HD before you do anything. Defrag depends on the disk integrity being 100%.

Try that and let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Cheers folks

Will do that and see what i can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Used chkdsk e: /f and that worked.

It reported that it found that some free space had been marked as allocated in the MFT.

Now if i could only get Rise of Nations to stop quitting during games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I'd recommend that you chkdsk once every 2 or 3 weeks (via scheduled tasks), and definately defrag at least once every 2-3 weeks as well.

This means that if anything does go wrong, you're pretty confident that the disk is OK, so the problem is probably somewhere else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement