Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] bicycles

• 06-01-2004 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have the name of any shops that I could get the best price for a bicycle from. I am just looking for a reliable one for cycling to work.

Argos seem to be cheap enough but I am not sure about the quality of bikes from argos.

thanks

[mod-edit.. I am just adding [request] to well.. requests to help the populace a bit...-merc]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Joe Daly in Dundrum are established and have a good reputation. Not particularly cheap afaik but not particularly expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

depending on where you're working, you might not want to get a NEW bike at all.

i have a bike i leave in dublin overnight in Trinity, and use it to get to andfrom work (I train in to Pearse Station from Wicklow). I've gone through several bikes because anything even remotely interesting gets stolen. Even my current crappy generic hand-painted mountain bike has been vandalised, though it has only affected its looks and not its functionality.

no matter what you get, though, get a decent lock and lock it in a very public place, ideally near some more expensive cycles! locks are sometimes rated by the number of MINUTES a bike thief can break them, the better ones being 5 minutes or so.

the buy&sell has tons of bikes every week. i'd steer clear of the "unwanted gift will deliver" or the unbelievable bargains, as i suspect some of those are stolen, but even so there are good (reasonable) bargains to be had. use the money you save to get: decent lock, good set of lights front & back, helmet, fluorescent vest, panniers or courier bag with reflection tape, and (controversially) a VERY loud air horn.

if you decide you want to go for a new bike, i'd steer clear of the city centre as prices seem to be higher than outlying areas. i think there's a few big cycle warehouse type places on the naas road, tho never been there myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

I would send ya to commuting solutions in rathmines-good staff and honest prices-you get what you pay for. your best purchase will be th elock-cyclological on bachalors walk have Kryptonite locks from €35-€90 the best you can get for your bike. If it is for commuting, you will not needa full suspension bike, maybe not even front suspension forks. A racer/road bike or a light mountain bike. Also if you are buying new- try to get all the extra stuff in the same shop-more likely to get a discount or something for FREE!
    happy cycling
    ps get lights and recharable batteries-Maplins have good deals for chargers and batteries.

Advertisement