Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a Ltd company to the UK?

Options
  • 06-01-2004 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

What would be involved in moving an established limited company from Ireland to the UK?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

You can probably get information on this at the UK Companies House website, there's is a lot better than the CRO site here.

I think this is effectively registering a new company in the UK, it has to have a new registered office in the uk, the directors have to comply with uk company law (similar to irish company law but all the same, they have to fill in the forms) and you're going to want a uk VAT reg number (not sure that foriegn reg companies can get one of these, it could be seen as a loophole...you buying goods in the uk for your foriegn company and hence not paying VAT even though the goods are for use in the UK etc).

maybe others have more detailed info

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you are really moving permanently, it might be as well to set up a new company in the uk. Then you will want to somehow move the assets (if there are any) from the Irish company to the UK company. This could have tax implifications. It depends on how complex your situation is. You should talk to an accountant if there are assets.

Alternatively, I think you have the right under EU law to establish a branch of your company in the UK. You would have to register this with the UK authorities (don't know who, but probably Companies House). You could get a UK vat number for the branch, and I imagine they would be expecting you to file a UK tax return. (You would probably still have to file the Irish return as well.) Well worth a visit to the accountant to sort this stuff out before you leave, otherwise it could get messy later.

Advertisement