Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shaving me head?

• 06-01-2004 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭

basically i want to shave my head and everyone wants me to do it for charity(iv a head of hair thats being growing since last may!!)and my scalp is like someting out of x-files as in very flaky and dry,will imagine it will look rotten if/when i sahve it,any advice on how to sort this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

one or two days in the open air will sort you out, otherwise try a little bit of lotion, nivea or the like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

mebbie you should use a different shampoo (while you still have hair), or better yet, speak to a hairdresser about it, or a doctor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I love shaving my head when my scalp is flaky and dry.

I had a regime for doing it:

Make sure you have enough razors/blades first naturally. Go and buy a face mask (yea one of those girly ghey face masks) and you are ready to go. Also make sure you have two mirrors or you will be doing the back of your head by touch.

Cut off your hair with good sharp scissors, thats the best bit. The more tugging and pulling - the worse your scalp will be afterwards so get a good pair of scissors yea?

If you have a good electric trimmer then go for that for the next stage to get it down to 0.

Now just use plenty of foam or oil, whichever you prefer and shave the last of the hair off.

Your scalp is now in state of stress and shock so you have to treat it well and nicely now. Put the single face mask all over your head to cool it down and give it some nutrients. Get a nice cucumber one or some mud one, whichever takes your fancy in the shop. Your scalp will let you know which one it wants...

Then after half an hour and some relaxing later - rinse your head but don't wash it with soap.

Make sure you have clean pillowslips also, it adds to the effect.

Good luck, the first time shaving your hair is the best feeling, so enjoy it. Take it slowly and surely, don't rush for the sake of getting it done.

I forget. If it's your first time try and do it when you won't be seeing anyone for a day or two if possible! If your scalp is flaky then you may shave off bits of skin that will be obvious to see when you have shaved your head. At first your scalp will look good but the next day it may flake off for a while, that'll go away after a day or two so don't worry about it. Get a natural moisturiser if it bothers you. But a natural mind, don't get one with loads of chemicals as your skin is still tender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by Gordon
    Good luck, the first time shaving your hair is the best feeling, so enjoy it. Take it slowly and surely, don't rush for the sake of getting it done.
    are we still talking about headshaving here?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Dude, don't do it! I shaved my head back in August after 2 years of unchecked growth. It was the biggest mistake I ever made!

1) You look like a different person, and even your mother doesn't recognise you (this is true)
    2) You totally miss the warm cozy feel you got off the long hair.

Don't be a fool! Keep the hair!

• Advertisement

the alternative to Gordon's girly way of shaving yer head is of course to use a lighter... it will cause your scalp "less stress" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hmmm, never tried it that way. Presumably one wouldn't need petrol as that would just be girly too?

I de-haired my nostrils on a regular basis that way, unintentionaly of course, when I smoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Go for it.

Bald is so SEXY!!

I was going bald (naturally) at a young age, about 16/17, I'd say to be exact. So I started to shave it tightly. I love it. The girls tell me its sexy anyway.

Do it..... you won't regret it, and sure if ya do sure can't it always grow back???!!!

Memphis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Only sexy if you have a well-formed skull and strong facial features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Shortest I've gone is a no.1 Liked it, wanna try a full shave tho, but me head would look pretty silly bein' all untanned and stuff so I reckon I'd leave it 'till summer.

There's some special shampoo for dry scalp. I think it's Neutro-something TGel :dunno: Anyway, the amputated ponytail was one of the funniest things I ever saw in school :D:p:D The guy had shoulder-length (straight n' neat, not frizy n' mad) hair for yeeeeaaaaars then one day comes in and holds his ponytail in the air :D:p:D

I can't grow my hair long (or even medium) 'cos it gets all wavy n' crazy and costs too much in maintenance! :rolleyes:

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah go for it.
    It'll grow back faster than you think.
    You'll love being able to wake up in the morning knowing your hair is already done. ;)
    You'll look really dangerous aswell, so no old people will sit next to you on the bus.
    As mentioned above, it really depends on the general shape of your skull, so your best bet is a good even 1 or 2 with an electric-hair-cutting-do-daw, to see if you're happy enough with it before moving on to complete baldness.
    I haven't gone all the way to zero myself, I just coudn't handle being a slaphead :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Originally posted by oneweb

I can't grow my hair long (or even medium) 'cos it gets all wavy n' crazy and costs too much in maintenance! :rolleyes:

well even though i havnt had a hair cut in almost a year im not a slick super poser dude,in that year a comb or brush has NEVER went through my hair!just jump out of shower dry it with a towel,shake my head a bit and then push down any bits that are sticking up too much!!its very wavy and crazy.its suprising how many people comment on it and like/dislike it,i just say "why do you care!!" it started out as a bet with a mate of mine who reckoned i was vain,its actually suprisingly un-long for the length of time its been growing and friends are encouraging me to shave it for charity....maybe its just that their sick of it and want me to feel guilty if i dont get it cut!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yeah im a blade 1 man myself. NO way would I go slappy unless i was losing it up top. I used to have average length hair in the past but I looked like a gimp, id like to try super long but obviously couldnt be arsed growing it. Anyone gotta spare wig?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Emulave shampoo for your dry scalp first off. It has none of the chemicals and irritants found in most shampoos. As some have suggested, maybe go for blade zero first. Surely that qualifies if you want to shave it off for charity?

K-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

if and when i do shave it il peg up a few before and after photoes for ye all to laugh at!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by gucci
    if and when i do shave it il peg up a few before and after photoes for ye all to laugh at!!!
    Please do! It's the reaction that's most rewarding! :D

It is what it's.

Advertisement