Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dumping dogs

Options
  • 06-01-2004 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

i live in a small villagae and there is a lot of men who are members of a gun club in the area. The problem is with gun club members from other areas. they camoe to our village to train their dogs in the fields that surround us. If these dogs are gun shy they dump these dogs in the village and leave them to fend for themselves. these poor dogs end up starving and other local dogs attack them. why can't these people give their dog to a dogs home or try to find it a family instead of leaving it scarred in a strange place and allowing them to starve. i feel very strongly about this and it must stop. do you agree with me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Why not speak to the gun club.

That isn't a question, more of a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noels little bu

The problem is we dont know where these gun men are based. if we didi we would not have a problem and we even tried to get a number plate of the car but just were not fast enough. in the past 2 weeks there has been 3 gun dogs dumped in my area. i am sorry if you felt i made a statement and not ask a question but i just wanted to see what other people thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I meant what I said being construed as a question.

You don't know where the gun club is?

no we have contacted a few members of the local gun club and asked them to ask around for us. but all the while these dogs are starving. our local council collects them but if they dont get homes in a certain time they get put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

What about the Ispca? (Or what ever their called)

Surely there's laws against this kind of thing?

• Advertisement

From the ISPCA Legal Handbook:

Q.1 Is it an offence for a person to let animals loose onto the streets?

It is an offence to abandon animals or to allow them to stray or cause mischief on the public roadway.

Section 1 (f) of the Protection of Animals Act, 1911 (inserted by Section 4 of the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act, 1965) introduced a further category of general cruelty which arises; -

"(Where) being the owner or having charge or control of any animal [a person] shall without reasonable cause or excuse abandon it, whether permanently or not, in circumstances likely to cause it unnecessary suffering, or cause or procure or, being the owner, permit it to be so abandoned."

Under Section 10 (1) of the Summary Jurisdiction (Ireland) Act, 1851 (as amended by the Section 36 of the Control of Dogs Act, 1986) it is an offence for:-

"Any person who shall in any public road or street of a town turn loose any horse or cattle or who by negligence or ill usage in driving cattle shall in any public road or any street of a town cause any mischief to be done by such cattle, shall be liable to a fine.."

The original version of Section 10 (1) had also included provisions relating to dogs, but these were repealed with the introduction of the more comprehensive Control Of Dogs Act, 1986 (See Chapter 11 on Dogs)

Section 10 (11) of the Summary Jurisdiction (Ireland) Act, 1851 (as amended by the Section 4 (4) of the Animals Act, 1985) provides that:-

"Any person who shall allow any swine or other beast to wander upon any public road, or about the streets or passages of any town, shall be liable on summary conviction, in the case of a first offence under this paragraph, to a fine not exceeding £150 and, in the case of a second or subsequent such offence, to a fine not exceeding £350"

The term "beast" is not defined in the Act, although the section, as initially enacted, set out separate offences in relation to cattle, horses or dogs left at large in public places.

Now surely these f*ckers should be at least be fined for their actions?:mad:

the problem is finding out who they are. it all happens so fast that no one ever sees them. but the local gunclub is going to ask around and try to find out for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If you have an SPCA in your region give them a call, otherwise speak to a guard and see what they suggest. This sort of thing is definitely not on, and unless someone in authority tells these people they can't continue this they'll just keep dumping animals like broken objects :(

yeah your right i'll do that now. i just hate to see these animals suffering. all the neighbours are feeding them and they are just beautiful and so friendly with the neighbourhood kids but you cant help but feel sorry for them at night when i am relaxing with my dog beside me in front of a big fire and those 2 poor dogs out in the cold!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Rather than actually alerting the club/group (which would probably lead to them still dumping unsuitable dogs elsewhere), you should try to obtain some form of evidence (photographic), then make a complaint to the ISPCA and/or Gardaí and push for prosecution.
    Two or more witnesses backed up with a few contiguous photographs would obviously be better than just one person's word.

• Advertisement

i have just rang the gardai and they said unless we have proof they cant do anything about it at all. so i reported to the local rspca branch and they said that they will look into it and send a memo out to all clubs stating that it is an offence to do this and what will happen if they are caught. they said that they would contact the local council dog warden to get them removed but we have rang him several times but to no avail. thats about all i can do but i wish i could do more.

Keep the camera at the ready!
    Good luck btw!

just thought that i would let you all know that the dog warden came yesterday and collected the two stray dogs from the street. i had a word with him and he has promised to check out all the local gunclubs and find out who is dumping the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What would really annoy the dumpers, and maybe make them try again with dogs, would be to take one of the dumped dogs and train it into a superb, award-winning gun dog, and get lots of publicity for the fact that some fool dumped this great dog...

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

It might be worth contacting the national association for gun clubs, nargc.ie. But maybe thats a bit like asking the guards to investigate complaints against themselves :dunno:

Its good to see that you feel strongly enough to do something about it, most people pay animal welfare little more than lip service, and I hope you are able to give the local guards some evidance to get a conviction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Should be easy enough to get good homes for them - fully grown - house trained? and trained to walk at heel etc. We used to have a springer at home - was gun shy - the owners were going to put him to sleep but stuck it in B&S instead. After about three months it finally sunk in that he wasn't in such a strict regieme any more and he started having fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

this kinda thing makes me sick.... its practically just as bad as killing the dogs straightaway. Whereabouts do u live? u never know, there might be some1 here who can join u on ur quest. I know i would if i lived near you.

Advertisement