Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how the hell did this happen?!?!

Options
  • 06-01-2004 6:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

ok i dont even know myself how this happened but ill explain

i was with east nolimits for as long as i remember around 4 years or so
    finally decided to get BB, it was only after this that my dad noticed that we were getting billed for internet still but wait for it ..from eircom!

the dial up number we were using for the last year give or take was an eircom dial up number. I can remember changing it because bt told us to as they were changing there dial up numbers for the whole country or some ****e like that( it was a long time ago i cant remeber it exactly)

think it was in a form of a letter though the post or an e-mail

so basically they gave us an eircom number so we were getting charged twice for a ****ty dial up service. But i cant prove it. My dad should have looked more clearly at the bills.

just want to know from anybody out there who were also on no limits did they get the same letter or e-mail, is this a scam or am i just really stupid to put in an eircom number in my settings!!

but then again where did i get the dial up number in the first place??
    not from eircom anyway!? im so confused how did this happen and for a whole year!!!

rang bt and basiclly they
    told me tough **** even though they probably knew that there was no traffic at all in the last year or so

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thats a good one alright, never heard of that before, hope your daddys rich.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

is this a scam or am i just really stupid to put in an eircom number in my settings!!

Answers on a postcard please :D:D

Tinky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

are the two of ye gay lovers or something or are ye just minky!!!
    ye so are the same person using different accounts which is a banning offence me thinks!
    oh by the way £UCK off if you have nothing to say about this topic

ps suppose i posted something tragic in the personal forum would the two of post just to laugh at my misfortune!!??

sad sad sad people out there

To be honest I fail to see how you could be paying for something for a year and not know about it. Not all post is junk mail ya'know - some of them are bills !

I personally check all bills when they arrive and take action if there is any errors. Not being nosey but were the bills paid with some form of direct debit system or cash ?

I take offence to your "gay" remark by the way and also your duality accusation - may I suggest caution on your part.

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

eircom sent me a bill for 600 euros for what thats a good question and my name wasnt on the phonebill id say eircom just ****ed up again i didnt pay it and didnt hear anything about it since :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

well see how can i check the bills when there not mine and not itemised!!
    plus the dial up number was given to me from a BT source (it turned out to be a eircom number)
    I take offence to your "gay" remark by the way and also your duality accusation - may I suggest caution on your part.

oh sorry its just "COINCIDENCE"

what caution are you on about your the person that has two profiles!!??

and never ever mention one of my family members again in your post (im directing this to the muppet tinky minky or tuppet so you wont get confused ok!!)

dont even think on going on a moral high ground here i can get ye both banned for what the two (one) of ye just did.

i posted a thread about a network probelm i had and the two of ye posted within 5 min of each other basically mocking me about the problem
    as i said before
    suppose i posted something tragic in the personal forum would the two of post just to laugh at my misfortune

if your going to post and answer the question otherwise go back to what you do best pretending to be someone else

[please back to topic]

What about the payment method ? was it DD or cash? If it was DD then you or your parents must have signed a mandate to give them permission to withdraw funds from the bank account ! Can you remember signing anything like this ??
    If your going to post and answer the question otherwise go back to what you do best pretending to be someone else

Thats what I did in my second post - what The Muppet does or says is his business. You keep insisting that we are one and the same and I believe you have been warned about that. I'm very sure that if the mods or admins - who have access to the relevant info - thought anything was amiss they would have banned us by now. end of!

Tinky

yea it was direct debt but it wasnt my account
    all was going grand for ages until bt changed their dial up number

we signed nothing for eircom but already had a telephone account with them (does that matter!?) yet eircom kept charging us for their internet when we didnt sign that would let them bill us for internet but as i said we already had an internet account with them!
    You keep insisting that we are one and the same and I believe you have been warned about that

whatever minky the two of ye are too close for comfort if ya know what i mean!;)
    explain the 5 min then oh sorry coincidence!!

ps how's your back!?

I'm not sure if you've explained the situation fully !

You say you were with an ISP other than Eircom for 4 years paying a subscription for a no limits service. At some stage a "no limits" agent gave you a new phone number for the dial up access. This number turned out to be an Eircom number for which you paid a per call charge.

Is this correct so far?

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Jank, calm down you psycho.

The way I see it is, if Esat BT gave you the number, you should talk to them, because it looks like you've been dialing an Eircom number, and Eircom have no reason to believe you were misled.

So basically take it up with Esat BT.

• Advertisement

i did take it up with them but they keep saying its an eircom number

i remember a good while ago that when i was dialed into my internet that there was a new window that poped up to say that the nolimts dial up number was being changed to 1890******

i stalled a while but changed the number eventually and only found out now about that we were getting billed for it
    but never signed anything for eircom!?
    Jank, calm down you psycho.

i will just there is a bit of history between minky and myself

I don't believe there is any on this thread going by the name of "minky" !

Jank is referring to his belief that myself and another user called Muppet are one and the same.

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

quit the baby slagging and stay on topic. Do you have any documentation/proof of any shape or form from BT with the number you are using on it Jank ?

If you don't there is nothing you can do.

Gav

ok rang eircom and their adiment that the dial up number is not theirs so that leaves only bt

rang bt and they said that the number that i must have put in was a iol free number

i clearly now remember that when i dialed into the nolimits service that on occasion there was a pop up window stating to change my number to the current one
    why did this happen when i was on a no limits service
    I presumed that the number they gave me was a new no limits number but it was a iol free number that ment that i was getting billed for my internet calls while also paying a subscription to bt for a service i wasnt using

they say that i visited the iol website and put in the wrong number!
    again why the pop when it had nothing to do with me!
    when i asked to clarify the dial up number i was using was a current iol free number they put me on hold and then cut me off:mad: :mad:

the ****ing bastards like who do they think they are
    never mind eircom bt are the worst crowd of scamers i ever came across and i will never ever spend another penny on one of there services!
    again ill ask does this ring a bell with anybody especially old no limits customers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I saw that pop up before. I can't remember if it was when I used to dial into IOL Free or Netsmart.
    It did say though it was the "free" access number that was changing from a local number to an 1890 number from what I remember though.
    It was just a notification put on their website, if you didn't read it properly I doubt they'll refund you.

The free services changed their numbers about a year ago to 1890 numbers from ordinary numbers , I assume the no Limits did the same to leave a single number for the whole country. Somehow you appear to have entered the wrong number and so have been billed at free access rates while paying for no limits.
    Surely the reason you signed for no limits was to reduce the phone bill, did your Dad not notice that no reduction occured and question this. It pays to check all bills as they arrive an not assume they are accurate.Don't think there is much you can do about it now but out it down to experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

The reason that was taking place was that they were changing access from a local pop system to a national geo system whereby the pop up would appear and tell you to change your number as you will no longer recieve service using anything other than the 1891 number.

Now, this function is activated on a terminal server when you dial the TS will redirect you to a specific webpage, I serousley doubt you seen a different page to the rest of their users as you seem to be the only person complaining about this problem.

See what I'm getting at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by tinky

Tinky

Good one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by jank
    i remember a good while ago that when i was dialed into my internet that there was a new window that poped up to say that the nolimts dial up number was being changed to 1890******
    Ah I remember that. Big pink screen. Never said NoLimits was changing on mine (that number has never changed) and I suspect it didn't say it for any other dialup users either. It said that the free dialup number was changing. It might have said that if it was a NoLimits or sub account the number wasn't changing but I can't remember.

The number you've dialling up to since is probably the Esat/IOL "free" (as in non-subscription) number.

You might be better off asking for a refund on your NoLimits sub - you haven't been using it at all.

I find it rather amazing that this went on for a year without your noticing. The phone bills must suddenly have gone through the roof if you were using the net for any significant amount of time every month.

I find it rather amazing that this went on for a year without your noticing.
    So do I but apparently his daddy pays the bills so he didn't notice. What puzzels me is how Eircom billed him for esat no limits access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Erm, you mentioned your dad twice in your first post jank.
    it was only after this that my dad noticed that we were getting billed for internet still but wait for it ..from eircom!
    My dad should have looked more clearly at the bills.

What it actually has to do with anything I don't know so here's my final contribution to your plight: read your bill more than once a year. I do remember the number being included on Esat bills at the time of the changeover (as I've said I ignored it as I wasn't using the service the new number referred to). You're stuck and ultimately the fault (for want of a better word) lies with you rather than a telecoms company. The first month or two could have been put down to a mistake, the remaining 10 just show a complete ambivalence to what you were paying. No offence meant but you'll know better next time.

Esat by the way do monitor access (they probably monitor traffic too as Michael McDowell insists on it) so they're telling you porkies. They can easily tell me how long I've been using NoLimits every month (though the clock appears to wrap around every 100 hours of usage).

The IOL "Free" number is, as you say billed through Eircom. Nothing to do with Esat at all actually, except for the traffic - it's even routed a different way. All Internet calls are listed in a different section to the regular calls on your Eircom bill so it's not unclear.

You live and learn as they say. Sometimes the learning is expensive. If you're really annoyed at Esat (though you don't really have justification for this) you could always take your money elsewhere for the broadband service. Eircom, UTV and Netsource (only for businesses now) also offer DSL and there are a number of wireless providers if you live in Dublin. Vote with your wallet.

You also might consider putting in a complaint to comreg (the telecom regulator) (webpage about the billing for a service you weren't using (not on the number change, though you may choose to mention it as it does give background). I doubt you'll get anywhere with it as the dialup number is your responsibility (it's in Esat's terms and conditions) but you may choose to explore all avenues. I wish you well if you do.

Finally, you may as well sort out which number you are dialling up to. If you're still getting billed for NoLimits and you want to dump the service, make sure to phone Esat and do that. If you do you'll continue to use the pay per minute 1890924042 number. Alternatively you can start using the NoLimits number and abuse it (P2P apps like kazaa & emule) to get some self satisfaction. There's the possibility that Esat will cut you off if you do this but AFAIK they haven't cut anyone off in two years for doing this. The correct NoLimits number is still 1332103001235. Be aware that if you start using this number now you probably won't get anywhere with a comreg complaint. Either way you may still have the option.

TUt Tut Someone been caught telling porkies and are trying to cover up.

The missing thread being a claim from jank that his dad is deceased for the past 3 years and its his mammy that was paying the bill leaves one puzzeled about his first post in this thread. Something besides his phone bills doesn't add up.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

So basically, you went to the IOL website, and a pop-up saying that the free access number has changed from 1890 to 1891 or something, and you altered your No-Limits number to that number.

If you can't read thats hardly the fault of anyone else.

Even on IOL Broadband there were popups informing me of number changes on IOLs Dial-up!

I notice on another thread Jank had problems with internet sharing on his dads iBook and a couple of PCs - perhaps it was changed during all the toing and froing in his effort to figure out the intricicies of configuring an internet account.

By the way I must voice my disgust at his attempt to earn sympathy by claiming that one of his parents was deceased. If this is true then he has my sympathies although in several threads he has mentioned his parents in the present tense. To someone with a genuine bereavement this is the lowest of the low!

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

and never ever mention one of my family members again in your post

Your Ma !

Your DOG !!!!! :D

Tinky

Advertisement