Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing xp pro language???

Options
  • 06-01-2004 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

i have xp pro dutch version,

as my girlfriend doesn't understand dutch i was wondering if i can change the language to english, could not find language pack on the net (not english anyway)

anyone know how to do this??

hope you can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

start -> settings -> control panel -> regional settings (it looks like a globe)

Chage it in there :]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

that easy, would have taught i had to d/l language packs.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i didn't think it was that easy, i had the italian window xp before i had the english version and i couldn't change it to english also i think i found at the time that the language packs where quite expensive and you could only go from english to other languages not from other languages to english

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are feeling VERY BRAVE and like to screw up your system in strange and interesting ways try applying a service pack in a different language.

System restore highly recomemded etc..

(for more fun apply patches in other languages too - then try for a bilingual error message :D )

Perhaps a dual boot system - ie install a second parallel copy of XP one in C:\winnt and one in C:\windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

It is impossible to change the language of the system from Dutch to English.

The files that Windows uses compiled with dutch strings in them, and cannot be changed.

What has been suggested already (going to CP and changing the regional settings) doesn not change the UI language.

Adding a service pack will fail because it will detect that the SP is a different language than the installed version.

• Advertisement

so basicly i'm f**ked then, need new os if i really want english.

gonna have to teach someone dutch!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where do you want to go today ?
    http://www.eu.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/dev/winxpintl.mspx

Not much use really 'cos of M$ licencing laws.

You could try installing IE in a different language, or getting the English Language Version of www.OpenOffice.org (word/excel/ppt freeware) so that at least the apps would be in the right language.

BTW: did you mean Windows XP or Office XP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

MUI (multi-lingual User Interface) isn't available for non-corporate environments. It costs a packet! That's why I didn't mention it before.

it's alright just got the lend of win2000, in english this time!

Advertisement