Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillwalking/ Camping Board?

Options
  • 06-01-2004 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Why is there no hill walking.. camping-ie.. kindof.. outdoors-ie board (if there is an archery board)? (No offense to archererers ;)) Was there ever such a thing?
    It could also lead to good healthy boards events/ outings, instead of the usual alcohol-based events.. (Not that I'm a stranger to the occasional binge myself!).

Anyone interested in this kind of thing?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

I think I'd have to concur with Dr. pepper on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Suggestions for new boards sould be made to the Feedback /Suggestions forum. I'll move this thread over there for you. If it's a good idea (which it is in my opinion) and it gets enough support then it will be created.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Suggestions of new forums isn't for Newbie FAQ, so moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

I think the Extreme Sports board sort of covers some of this territory. It provides a home for discussion of mountaineering and the like - in fact, most outdoor recreation/pursuits can probably find a home there.

If you feel that hill-walking doesn't qualify as an extreme sport, then you may have a case. Have to say I would be happy to post discussion/pictures/descriptions about walking/hiking in the Extreme Sports forum (and have done so) - they're a pleasant enough bunch for the most part.

I'd encourage you to use the forum if you feel it is suitable. Always interesting to hear what people get up to on their excursions.

I would be inclined to use Politics (or something similar) for access issues/questions/tirades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I'll give this a thumbs up.

Don't really think that hillwalking counts as 'extreme', at least, not the way I do it, unless you mean extremely out of breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Ha ha.. Me too!

Will keep an eye on that extreme sports forum so.. Might have to brush up on my narly skate lingo tho... dudes :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

I'd use this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Good idea, how about a mountain sports forum. That way we can cover rock-climbing too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Why not combine this sort of board with the Nature/Bird Watching board (since nobody uses that one) and call it something like The Great Outdoors board?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Or even just Outdoors for those who don't think it is all that great...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Great Outdoors would be very like an endorsment of a certain shop

Outdoors would be good, I'll put myself forward as the *all things mountain related* Moderator, if I may ...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    Outdoors would be good, I'll put myself forward as the *all things mountain related* Moderator, if I may ...

If we're going to go ahead with this new '"Outdoors" board, then I agree that Mr. E. Phil would make a good choice for moderator... seems to know a bit about climbing.

I would be a bit worried about the overlap between the new board and the Extreme Sports board. Are we going to restrict the Extreme Sports board to the type of thing one gets to see in the X-games? Where do we draw the line? Will cross-posting be okay? It might be a good idea to structure the charter of both boards in such a way as to remove redundancy.

(Get it? E. Phil... Evil... Never mind, I'll get my coat...)

There could be a lot of overlap. But I'd hazard a guess and say that it would only happen as people are new to the boards, as cerebus has suggested outlining the forums use in the charter would fix this.

Extreme Sports seems to be focusing on board type sports (if thats the correct term) where lunatics belt along as fast as they can on small, unstable bits of fiber glass ( ;) ) and bmx's and the like. Maybe we should have a Broken Coxics/Ankles board to deal with the overlap?

And I'll tell you if its going to snow up on them there hills.
    Snowing in wicklow this morning so stay away!

Thumbs up for this idea.

Theres nothing like heading up onto a mountain, scrambling with a noisy bike and being chased by coillte staff who get stuck in their jeep.... cause they cant go where you can...

mu....haaaaa :D

Glad to see there's some interest :) I wouldn't mind co-moddin' if that's ok??
    Although, I'm not entirely sure what that involves. Maybe I could chat with ya about it 'Evil Phil' if you're at the next beers..

Originally posted by Man

Snowing in wicklow this morning ...

And I'm in fecken work! *sob* *sniffle*

I'll second Dr Pepper as moderator though, he's obviously keen on the subject.

Whats the verdict on getting this forum?

I'm going to deal with them all over the weekend. Wait right there until I get back.

Who decides?

• Advertisement

The will of the people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

These days, we roll a D6.

I've started a discussion on the scuba forum following ecksors suggestion that we could consolidate the two forums. I'll give them the weekend to see what they want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Dr Pepper
    Camping Board?
    Try the Counter Strike board. :D

I've only had feedback from one person but silence speaks in volumes. The Scuba crowd would rather keep their forum out of it all together, and I'd agree with this mehself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement