Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD64 Xp3400+ 2.2ghz $417 !!!

• 06-01-2004 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭

Amd are just after releasing the Xp3400+ 2.2ghz AMD64 (socket 754 based) .....
    So, it is now possible to build the fastest desktop PC on a Socket754 platform. Thanks to the higher working frequency of the new Athlon 64 3400+, this CPU can successfully compete not only with the top Pentium 4 processor models, but also with the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition.

From this review .... http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3400.html

Its very close the the FX and beats it in some benchmarks. It also does better than the 3.2ghz & 3.2EE in its fair share :) . Definetly worth reading, seems to be a very level testing field (not one sided benchmarks).

[edit] PS its around $400 so the Xp3200+ AMD64 should be taking a nice drop in price aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

good article very rounded set of benchmarks

the 64 3400+ definelty seems like a better buy then either the FX-51, the 3.2Ghz EE and even the normal 3.2Ghz pentium.

its not badly priced either, i wonder how much it will cost in europe, considering 3.2Ghz pentiums are going for about €420 on overclockers

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Amd are just after releasing the Xp3400+ 2.2ghz AMD64 (socket 754 based) .....
    [edit] PS its around $400 so the Xp3200+ AMD64 should be taking a nice drop in price aswell.

Ive heard figures of under $300 for the A64 3200 and $200ish for the A64 3000. Which is nice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

the 64 3400+ definelty seems like a better buy then either the FX-51, the 3.2Ghz EE and even the normal 3.2Ghz pentium.

Yea most definetly!! Looks like AMD have finally got the finger out and given us a propper high end solution to compete with the P4 C chips . I must say im glad to see it, hope the FX and Operton come way down in price by the summer..... would make a nice project.
    Ive heard figures of under $300 for the A64 3200 and $200ish for the A64 3000. Which is nice.

Very nice, im happy :D

www.anandtech.com also have a decent review which highlights the strengths and weaknesses of both intel and pentium processors again quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Looks like the 64-bit revolution is begining:D; now all we need is a 64-bit Windows and it will really take off - unfortunately that wont be out until the end of the year :rolleyes: MS moves with speed;).

• Advertisement

Looks like the 64-bit revolution is begining; now all we need is a 64-bit Windows and it will really take off - unfortunately that wont be out until the end of the year MS moves with speed.

Good old MS , always like to put a spanner in the workx eh!! When did the fe*kers extend the date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They never placed a date because it's just a reworking of Windows XP to 64-bit; in other words it wont actually be a new product - it seems that XP isn't 64-bit clean.

I have it already via MSDN. Based on my impression and others, its extremely stable and fast. I would expect XP-64 ES to be out no later than Summer. Afaik, there are many reasons its not out already, mainly the lack of 3rd party 64bit drivers and a possible delay at Intels request, but problems porting to 64bit isnt one of them.

All the standard WinXP apps are included, ported to 64bit, and the case of IE, its supplied in 32bit and 64bit versions.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Impurity

anyone know if the XP3400+ will be released on Socket A?

i thought the xp socket A line was finished tbh perhaps i'm wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Dataisgod

Its not 100% confirmed I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Ive heard figures of under $300 for the A64 3200 and $200ish for the A64 3000. Which is nice. :)

I know they're releasing the 3000+ and 2800+ for laptops. didnt know they were releasing the 3000+ for the desktop. where did ye hear this?
    Would be very interested if these two became avaliable for the desktop, means i could afford to jump on the 64bit bandwagon!

Originally posted by Scruff
    I know they're releasing the 3000+ and 2800+ for laptops. didnt know they were releasing the 3000+ for the desktop. where did ye hear this?
    Would be very interested if these two became avaliable for the desktop, means i could afford to jump on the 64bit bandwagon!

The 3000+ is out for a few weeks now. There was a thread here about it I think too. Its been reviewed on nearly every major HW site.. where have you been? :p

Its a Athlon 64 running at 2.0GHz (like the 3200+) but with half the cache (512kb). Performance is about 5% less than the 3200, so its still pretty fast.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The 3000+ is out for a few weeks now. There was a thread here about it I think too. Its been reviewed on nearly every major HW site.. where have you been? :p

Its a Athlon 64 running at 2.0GHz (like the 3200+) but with half the cache (512kb). Performance is about 5% less than the 3200, so its still pretty fast.

Matt

Be cheaper to use a socket A 3200 (or a 2500@3200) rig then no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Matt

I was in internet communicado for over 2 weeks over christmas. Didnt go online once in 16 days and i survived! :D
    computer at the auld home croaked it, so had no access till i came back to dublin.
    lots to catch up on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

They wont be releasing any 64bit cpu's for the socket a for obvious reasons.

There is also talk that they will be releasing a new socket type (970 or so?) to replace the 2 formats they have atm to try and recreate the ease of upgrade the socket A provided.

Only difference really between the 3400+ and the FX is that the FX is more expensive but i think its also multiplyer free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Athlon64 requires Socket 754
    Athlon-FX requires Socket 940 (same as the opteron).

AFAIK, new Athlon-XPs will be Athlon64s with the 64-bit part of the chip disabled (kind of like what intel used to do with their SX processors), so they'll probably be Socket 754 as well.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Be cheaper to use a socket A 3200 (or a 2500@3200) rig then no?

It would be even cheaper to use an old Duron! ;)

Of course old AthlonXPs should be cheaper, but they certainly arent "better". Mind you, I have a feeling the AthlonXP 3200 costs slightly more than the A64 3000+..

Matt

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Athlon64 requires Socket 754
    Athlon-FX requires Socket 940 (same as the opteron).

AFAIK, new Athlon-XPs will be Athlon64s with the 64-bit part of the chip disabled (kind of like what intel used to do with their SX processors), so they'll probably be Socket 754 as well.

Ive heard that rumour too, but if you think about it, these "64bit disabled" Athlons would actually cost more to produce than the normal Athlon64s. Given that the A64 is still quite new yet you can pick on up for around $200, I imagine AMD will simply neglect all but AMD64 tech. They are planning 256KB cache versions of the Athlon64, prices would be even lower than the $200 (which is pittance) A64 3000+, covering the value market nicely.

They dont even need to "design" 256KB CPUs, they are simply the full cache units that fail stabilty tests when 512kb or 1MB cache is enabled (much like Intel and AMD have done in the past, in regards cache).

Matt

Originally posted by B-K-DzR

Only difference really between the 3400+ and the FX is that the FX is more expensive but i think its also multiplyer free.

Im posting too much.. but, the A64s are all unlocked, but only the A-FX allows selection of higher multipliers. The A64s Ive had allow selection of 10-4x, 10x being the default.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

dont know whether its worth resurrecting this thread for, but was just browsing marx and noticed they have the athlon 64 processors for not unreasonable money.

Athlon 64 3000+ 310

Athlon 64 3200+ 374

Athlon 64 3400+ 598

122811 AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0 GHz
    - Socket 754, 512 KB cache, BOXED 20 pcs
    2004-01-16 (unconfirmed)
    €260.54

120919 AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz
    - Socket 754, 1 MB cache, BOXED 10 pcs
    2004-01-16 (unconfirmed)
    €309.75

123016 AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2 GHz
    - Socket 754, 1 MB cache, BOXED 4 pcs
    2004-01-16 (unconfirmed)
    € 444.66

Komplett's prices are a little better!!

anandtech have done a second review part on the 3400+ using there standard motherboards, you can check it out on there website, conclusion is pretty much the same though i think

Advertisement