Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Forum: Irish music

Options
  • 06-01-2004 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

At the moment there is no forum for Tradisional Irish music. Thats a bit hard to believe when Fleadh Ceoil na hEirinn was the bigest music event of 2003.
    Trad isnt just about boring old repeatitive tin wistle songs (dont pretend ye didnt have to take lessons when ye were younger:D ) there are many new and modern bands such as Fluke Solas or Lunasa to choose from as well as very successful cheile bands. I also think it would be great to have somewhere unline to meet up with other members of Comhaltas.

So here is my sugestion.
    A new sub board in the music forum entitled "Irish Music".
    That this board should focus on
    1) Comhaltas events
    2) Swapping tunes
    3) Tradisional music
    4) Ballads (Including ballads from people like Christy Moore, Luke Kelly, The Dubliners and The Pogus
    5) And the general type of music appreciation and conversations that go on in the other music forums.

Remember Irish Culture isnt dead or something only for Shinners.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

People who like traditional music don't have the internet...or shouldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

was it you who said that the internet doesnt exist outside the pale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I think it's a good idea. It's not necessarily my type of music, but if we can have a rap/hip hop board, why not an Irish music board on an Irish forum?

That being said, I'm not sure how popular it would be. Would it be practically empty all the time?

We'll have to wait and see what the ppl think, thats the best way to gague participation but that in mind Comhaltas is the largest youth based orgainisation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

whats a pale?

oh and btw, hip hip is the most widespread culture of modern society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well i suppose you have to ask is the current music forum struggling to handle the number of threads of irish music? if not then theres no need

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    well i suppose you have to ask is the current music forum struggling to handle the number of threads of irish music? if not then theres no need

its pretty obvious that none of the present forums are suitabe for discussing irish music. One wouldnt go into Jazz and talk about irish, thats not to say there is no interest in irish

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I believe he meant the Music / Radio forum, the Jazz forum isn't relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Id say a lot of people are a bit scared to go into the music from and start a thread about Trad Irish music.

In my opinion, this forum would be used quite well, despite the obvious influx of "tin wistles are shoite" threads it would recieve in its first few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by ecksor
    I believe he meant the Music / Radio forum, the Jazz forum isn't relevant.

indeed ecskor thanking you , i refering to the general music forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

/me turds this suggestion ...as it has been seconded already.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'm not getting a positive vibe on this one ...

your probably right, still I think it would be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rayray2002

Well it is 2019 now and has anyone set up a forum for us ppl with interests in the trad section of the music industry?
    I am only a teen and I just happened to search up trad music and got no results on boards from the music forum. Btw trad you can't beat it. best music out there it tells the stories of one persons life or feelings and ends up helping another solve a problem or creates a memory, relativity and the likes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

There is a Traditional music forum located here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=465

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As someone who frequents the music forums a bit I think amalgamating a few of them, rather than adding more might enliven that section of the site a bit more.

Advertisement