Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod Mini

• 06-01-2004 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭

just was over on the apple site and saw this iPod Mini

index_headerfamily01062004.jpg

Height Picture

index_size01062004.jpg

Specifications Here

personally i don't like the look of them but i already have the 20gig version so...

*edit* finally apple have learned and they bundle a USB2.0 cable as long as the preferred firewire cable with the ipod mini in case you don't have firewire

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

oooh goody! i want one!

I assume its going to be a good bit cheaper than the current ipods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

not available till april in "rest of world" though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Truckle
    oooh goody! i want one!

I assume its going to be a good bit cheaper than the current ipods.

Not really...$250! I thought they were introducing mini iPod in an attempt to compete with the lower storage solid state mp3 player market....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

The 10gb ipods we're increased to 15gb for free aswell,
    They also launched in-ear earphones for the original and new ipod mini's retailing at €39.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by eth0_
    Not really...$250! I thought they were introducing mini iPod in an attempt to compete with the lower storage solid state mp3 player market....

yeh they are heavily priced.

but i don't see why u have to buy USB2 cable separately for the normal ipods, it's not that i need one cos i got firewire but usb2 cable should come with them

• Advertisement

creative's offering

priced at 309 euros

ipod mini is cheaper and considering the euro/dollar situation atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

god damn basturds just gave the 10Gb one an extra 5Gb like that and i just got my 10Gb one of 3G, its nice and its even smaller and all but its still overpriced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    creative's offering

priced at 309 euros

ipod mini is cheaper and considering the euro/dollar situation atm.

euro/dollar exchange rate doesn't really come into play here as Apple never directly convert their prices, buying goods from their N American stores is always cheaper than from the Irish, alas they only ship to American/Canadian addresses....

can any1 find a pic of the back of the mini's do they have that sweet sweet chrome

anyway i'm sure if some1 really wanted one they could order from states and have some reletive send it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The silver one looks sexy:D; at that price with 20GB and I'm buying one less than that it's just not worth it - I know at least 2 years before that comes to be - I have a NetMD and that has done me for 2 years it will do 2 years more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

40GB iPod - $499.00
    4gb mini iPod - $249.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

here is another link from news.bbc.co.uk

looks pretty sweet. would consider buying one if the € price was decent.

was going to get one at xmas but couldn't find a site with 5Gig iPods. Are they discontinued ?

Expect the iPod to retail at €299 not €249 when it comes to europe.
    This is not confirmed bt it would be in line with their current price discrepencies betwwen North America and Europe.

Originally posted by Rabies
    was going to get one at xmas but couldn't find a site with 5Gig iPods. Are they discontinued ?

yeh they've been discountued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Complete rip-off. When you consider that you can buy a 20GB Jukebox Zen for $279 from Creative's site, why on earth would anyone fork over $250 for a 4GB MP3 that looks a bit nicer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by super_furry
    why on earth would anyone fork over $250 for a 4GB MP3 that looks a bit nicer?
    Porsche or Skoda anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

at the moment 250us is about 200euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

€200.00 would be an about right price in comparsion with its bigger brothers
    who pack more value for ur buck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Originally posted by Rabies
    Porsche or Skoda anyone?

AFAIK no one ever claimed Skoda could compete with Porsche on performance :)
    Jukebox has amazing sound quality, and tbh it's not THAT ugly :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Zaphod B
    AFAIK no one ever claimed Skoda could compete with Porsche on performance :)
    Jukebox has amazing sound quality, and tbh it's not THAT ugly :dunno:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Clearly I'm alone in this... well I mean it's not as if it's PC beige or anything, neither is the weight of it going to break me back. Of course if you only want it to hold 4Gb instead of 20 that's fine, but personally I'd be buying an MP3 player primarily to play MP3s, not to pick up girls or make passers-by say "ooooh..." :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness to Apple, they've done a brilliant job marketing the iPod. It's become such a desirable almost status symbol that people want it regardless of the fact that it's overpriced and offers inferior sound quality to other MP3 players like the Jukebox Zen and iRiver. It does look sexy, but like Zaphod said, I want an MP3 so I can listen to music not impress people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Id agree with Zaphod B, personally i dont see much point in paying over the odd's for something thats mainly going to be in your pocket (bit of an overstatement but u get where im going).

I think the iPod is lovely, personally i like the Zen a little better (looks wise) and the price difference would definetly sway my vote.

Thats just my 2c, i can see how people who are spending this kind of money would say well sure while im paying this much ill go a little more and get the better looking one..... thats a fair point...... it has alot to do with personal opinion...... and wheater its worth the extra €'s.

Both are good, Zen is cheaper by alot..... thats my choice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah if i was buying one i'd probably go for a zen or an iriver for price/performance/storage but the ipod is the nicest one out of the lot imo. at the end of the day though i got my ipod for €150 with the eircom broadband offer so it knocks all arguements on its head when your getting it for that price.

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

aww...but lads, the new mini ipod is available in PINK!

what more do you want

*scurries off to buy one*

The ipod mini isn't trying to compete against the ipod or zen or any of the 10gb-40gb players. Apple are going after the 41% of mp3 player owners who currently use a flash based player (usually 128-512mb). The ipod mini can be used when jogging and running unlike most hard-disk players (including the iPod). It's tiny, which is why most people buy flash players. Remember 4gb is 1,000 songs which is quite a lot for people who are used to a max of 512mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Was/am at MacWorld, and its truely a sweet little machine.. very light and noticably smaller than iPod, even though its only a few mm in the difference. Shipping to US orders on Feb 16th is what they're saying here, and sometime in April for worldwide. Pre orders are being taken for US only.

Nice new XServe offering too.. sweet... super sweet!!

.cg

• Advertisement

Originally posted by cgarvey
    Was/am at MacWorld, and its truely a sweet little machine.. very light and noticably smaller than iPod, even though its only a few mm in the difference. Shipping to US orders on Feb 16th is what they're saying here, and sometime in April for worldwide. Pre orders are being taken for US only.

Nice new XServe offering too.. sweet... super sweet!!

.cg

Watched most of the macworld webcast, it looked pretty cool. Microsoft wouldn't have the style to pull something like that off.
    My favourite singer/songwriter/guitarist/(pianist hehe) John Mayer was there aswell, which was impressive.
    GarageBand was probably the thing that appealed to me the most though.

Advertisement