Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American politics Warning

Options
  • 06-01-2004 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Ive known about this for awhile and i dunno why i haven't posted about it. I guess i'm not much of poster. :-p

Anyway......i heard this from a source i'm not gonna disclose...:-)

Basically if u go over to america and u apply for a job ( ie have visa and all) u have to prove that there is no american able to do that job...

I dunno if that is true or not but tis what i heard anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I doubt it, but then again it wouldn't surprise me if it's another "Homeland Security" measure. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭taby

well sum1 who is over der told me indirectly so if they're being told that.....

makes u worried doesn't it....

what if the irish were to bring in sumthin like that?

Unless u can prove an irish person can't do that job u can't have it. We'd be done on so many counts of discrimination and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by taby
    what if the irish were to bring in sumthin like that?
    You mean like this?
    You will need to prove that...no Irish citizen or EU national could do that job in your place.
    Looks like the Americans are treating us exactly the same way we treat them. What an outrage!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I dont know about the U.S. but I think that has been the case in Germany for a rather long time now - I think it was in some attack on the labour laws in Europe in some issue of Time. As far as I remember an employer has to prove they cant get anyone in the E.U. to do the job. My memory is hazy on it, so I stand open to correction.

/Edit - In the meantime it seems meh has provided a far more concrete case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm open to correction on this, but I believe the same applies in Australia and Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

That's the rule in almost any country. It's the company that has to prove that they have tried to find a citizen of said country first and only then may they employ a non-national (or non-EU national in Europe's case).
    It's a fair rule, of course the practice changes...when say...ummmm Microsoft wants to employee thousands of Indians and pay them half what they would an American.
    The Hb1 visa was created for that very purpose. Not enough programmers my a$$.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭taby

i didn't kno any of that...

thanx for all that info guys...:-)

I guess everywhere is like that.

It sucks sumtimes tho.....

Guess that's just life.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Geromino

Originally posted by taby
    Hi everyone,

Ive known about this for awhile and i dunno why i haven't posted about it. I guess i'm not much of poster. :-p

Anyway......i heard this from a source i'm not gonna disclose...:-)

Basically if u go over to america and u apply for a job ( ie have visa and all) u have to prove that there is no american able to do that job...

I dunno if that is true or not but tis what i heard anyway.

It all depends on which visa you are talking about. If you want to see how to apply for a work visa, you should go here. The most popular is the H visa, but there are other work visas. Another visa to consider is a green card or the EB-2 if you intend to stay in the country and working for a prolonged period of time. Other temporary work visas (other than the infamous H visas) include E, L, Q, P, O, and R visas. Each visa has specified requirements on which you can use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

If you have a green card you can take up any job except those requiring citzenship such as government related ones without having to do anything more than photo copying your green card. I know because I have one and I am going back to the US to take up a contract.

The H1B on the other had requires the employer, not employee, to provide some proof that the job was advertised nationally and there was no eligiable candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Geromino

Originally posted by Kernel32
    If you have a green card you can take up any job except those requiring citzenship such as government related ones without having to do anything more than photo copying your green card. I know because I have one and I am going back to the US to take up a contract.

The H1B on the other had requires the employer, not employee, to provide some proof that the job was advertised nationally and there was no eligiable candidates.

Although you are correct, you can apply for a green card without obtaining any other visa beforehand. It is through the green card lottery that someone who would have the best chance. And this is what most people are not aware of.

Advertisement