Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United to repeat '99

• 06-01-2004 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I have a sneaky feelin that united may be on the verge of repeating their achievments of 1999. For all ye scousers I mean the treble . . . . . and when I say treble i mean the premiership,fa cup and the champs league and not the mickey mouse one that ye picked up in disneyland! (fa cup,league cup and uefa cup).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

they wont win the fa cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Eric The Red

yes its a cert. . . . i firmly believe that they are more than capable of winning all 3 . . . . they are missing becks . . . . . but they even got into 2nd gear and they seem pretty comfortable!

my apologies, that was suppose to read they havent even got into 2nd gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I believe sir Alex said that Man U want to win every game so it looks like they are actually on for the quadruple :) I cannot see them winning the Champions League or the FA cup and they only have a slim chance of the premiership to be fair.

Cannot see too many Teams beating Real in the CL and United don't seem to be too interested in the FA cup.

Real are beatable . . . . .granted they are an excellent side going forward but they are possibly the worst team ever at the back . . . . . any side who has an ex-leeds united player playing for them are in trouble (Raul Brava is dirt)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I seem to remember a 4-3 score line against Real last seasons CL. So yes they are beatable.

These are two attack minded teams ! There will always be chances at goals in these types of games - it's just a matter of which team makes better use of the chances !

Tinky

Originally posted by Eric The Red
    but they are possibly the worst team ever at the back
    Just because their attack is a lot better than their defence doesn't actually mean it is that bad. Salgado, Roberto Carlos, Helguera, Pavon. They may not have good backup but not a lot of teams do at the back. I think people over exagerrate too much about Real's defence.

But it does mean that it's possible to put them under pressure - they dont like being scored against !

They have conceaded 4 more goals than the second place team in the Spanish league !

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

dont forget you can count iker casilas in the defense aswell. makes thier defence sound a lot better dosent it. They wont win the treble. As for the champions league ive being saying it for moths but il say it again Juventus are going to win the champions league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

any team is beatable on their day including real and utd
    not sure about a treble, rio's ban is coming up and if ruud gets injured then they are fecked and a look at their squad will say alot about how many average players they have(forlan, d-djemba, bellion ,even c ronaldo although he may turn out to be a fine player if he can keep on his feet).

they will go far possibly even winning 1 or 2 but all 3
    i dont think so

some people think that utd are on the verge of greatness again.
    i dont think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

some people think that utd are on the verge of greatness again.

What do you mean "again".;)

Can't ever see the treble being repeated but as Jank says every team is beatable on their day. I,d settle for the league and a repeat of the 26 th May 1999 , the Fa cup would be a bonus.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What do you mean "again".

well thats an interesting point and begs the question what makes a great team

utd team of 1999 was a great team:dunno:
    however arsenal were also a great team. i remember hearing that fergie kept saying throughut the season that arsenal were the best team they played all year and in the utd fanzine they were voted by real utd fans as the best opposition encountered throughout the season

so what makes a great team.
    trophies?
    european recognition?
    our just tradition and good players!

think utd will win something this year but to be honest the champs league is beyond them. think chelsea will go farther than utd there but will end up trophy less
    the league will be close and the fa cup is a bonus for all clubs concerned
    arsenal will win some silverware but which one(s)

For me its a combination of trophies and the style of football played. IMO Currently ther are 2 great teams playing stylish attacking football Arsenal/ Utd. Chelsea have a good squad and some exceptional players so have the potential to be a great team but recent performances suggest they are not yet the finished item.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

the treble requires an awful amount of luck! lets face it... it did in '99 and it will be the same again this time if they are to pull it off. i back them to be there or there abouts in all comps providing no fa cup underdogs are treated too lightly. signs are good... been over to see united twice this season and in my opinion they still have a couple of gears they can move up into! Bolton are a potential banana skin. Must bag the points there tomorrow!

the treble requires an awful amount of luck! lets face it...

In '99 that luck came in the shape of Sherringam and Ole !

This year it will be Ruud and Scholes ! :D

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

man utd will be there abouts in the champions league semi final with real, as for winning it im not decided yet, while they are wining games they have not convinced me yet that they can lift the champions league this year!!! the premiership is very much in our reach this yearwith chelsea slipping up the way the are, big match tonight against bolton need to win nothing else will do!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Baud

Real are beatable . . . . .granted they are an excellent side going forward but they are possibly the worst team ever at the back . . . . . any side who has an ex-leeds united player playing for them are in trouble (Raul Brava is dirt)
    So then Utd are in trouble until Ferdinand is out? ;)
    And utd with cantona in were really awful I guess too?

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

I don't think they can do 3 trophies again although I'd love to see it. I think the big difference between that team and this is the quality of strikers. United had 4 class players - Yorke & Cole played really well in the early stages of the CL that year and were fantastic in the league too. Solskjaer & Sheringham were great backup. United seem over dependant RVN now though and he can't carry them to 4 trophies almost on his own surely!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the league will be the easiest without doubt, their already half way there and have yet to slip into that traditional unstoppable form.

fa cup is risky, its a nice trophy to win provided you get another alongside it. champs league is very difficult, madrid i wouldnt be worried about, ac milan, inter, juve, even arsenal would be very difficult to beat, you need a slice of luck there but utd do have what it takes.

a double would be nice, just to retain our status as the best team in england seen as arsenal have stolen some of that in the past 5/6 years. champs league is the big one but really i'd be happy to wait 'til next season to push for it and get 1 or 2 big names in the summer.

howard seems to have strengthened the defence which i think could just win us that 2nd trophy this year.

Hope your,re right smermon but are you forgetting the defence is about to be weakened with Rios ban. Hope I,m wrong but i dont think any of the current UTD squad will fll the gap consideing how rio has been playing lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Rio has been playing real well lately cause he know's that he has no more games and he had something to motivate him

600th POST YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah, rio gets better with every game it seems, has been a rock lately. will be a loss but dont forget wes brown is to comeback soon, aint a bad defender.

o'shea/fortune, silvestre, brown, g.neville are now the only known defenders. then your into youngsters like bardsley who fergie described as "outstanding" in the carling cup. im sure one or 2 younsters will make names for themselves but we do badly need another defender or 2.

the other option of course is to play butt with keane and make do with a slightly weak defence. fergie will have his work cut-out trying to find a top-class defender that can play in europe.

with brown coming back rio wont be missed as much though he is playing some stuff at the moment!

I hope your optimism come throught guys but browns Injury history does not instill confidence in me and the last thing we need is to have to move Keano back .

hey Baud! . . . . your little pop at eric cantona didnt go un-noticed, cantona was without question the most influential player ever to pull on a united shirt, the man oozed class in every respect. his sheer presence in the starting line up was as good as goal for united . . . . .

"what a friend we have in jesus,
    he's a savior from afar,
    what a friend we have in jesus,
    and his name is CANTONA"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Ya muppet Eric. U sed any team with an ex-leeds player r in trouble so ur bluffin urself.

Originally posted by Gangsta
    Ya muppet Eric. U sed any team with an ex-leeds player r in trouble so ur bluffin urself.
    :D:D:D

hey Baud! . . . . your little pop at eric cantona didnt go un-noticed, cantona was without question the most influential player ever to pull on a united shirt, the man oozed class in every respect. his sheer presence in the starting line up was as good as goal for united . . . . .

"what a friend we have in jesus,
    he's a savior from afar,
    what a friend we have in jesus,
    and his name is CANTONA"
    cantona was great in the premiership but lack in europe!!! while he was one of the best creative players at united at the time he looked out of place in the big european matches imo

sacrilege;)

Eric have to agree with the others you did leave yerself open to that retort.

• Advertisement
Advertisement