Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing? Seagate ST3120022A - Do you have the same drive?

• 07-01-2004 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

I've been using speedfan for a while on a few machines, and the one with the newish 120gb Seagate looks like its failing again (this is a replacement from Komplett, its about 3 months old, and gets very little use). This is based on the speedfan diagnoses of the drives SMART info.

Would anyone have
    a) Another ST3120022A
    b) a similar program that can read SMART info

and see if the following looks unwell...
    seagate.gif

... and I've ran a number of seagate diagnoses on the drive, but because the values aren't (yet?) at a warning level all reports fine.

Thanks

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I have the same drive and I'm getting basically the very same values and it's OK. The only diffrence is I'm not using the program you are using, it may be the program?. I got the program and it says my drive is about to die(its lower then yours - I'm ignoring it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I wouldn't take that information to be 100%, if your not experencing any problems with the drive then ignor it. This type of info makes you worrie I had the same experence with Si Sandra 2003 which turned out to be false.

Thanks joePC....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Thanks for checking it out guys, appreciated :)

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if you are running 2k or XP, its a good idea to have a look in event viewer.

It will report any caching problems or read\write errors there

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    if you are running 2k or XP, its a good idea to have a look in event viewer.

It will report any caching problems or read\write errors there

Thanks SouperC, never thought of that. I've check it out and its clear.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

agreed about that info not necessarily being accurate. the author Alfredo admits that his knowledge of S.M.A.R.T is fairly limited and doesn't claim to support it fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

same drive, and same program, and worse error, and drive is running fine

speedfan.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, i wasn't suggesting it as an alternatve to SMART, its a good starting point though if things are being "funny"

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was a bit twitchy about the drive because this is the second one, the first one failed after two weeks and caused me no end of heartache. I'm better prepared this time, but never the less the prospect of having to rebuild the installation is not appealing, so when I saw the SMART info you can imagine the look on my face. I guess I can relax a bit now :). Thanks again.

D.

Advertisement