Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signatures.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

We have sig rules, you know. And you're breaking all of them, make it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭n00binlastplace

i made it right

didn't I?

i don't know the sig rules so if the admins don't like it then plz just remove it and i will put a nice small one there l8r

i'm off out now l8r all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

True and funny, but unfortunately quite illegal ;)

Animations aren't allowed as far as I recall, possibly because it's hard on all the unfortunate people that are stuck on 56k connections. Or it could be hard on the Boards bandwidth bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

wait..sigs disappeared? :-/

ah the joys of the mini-skin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

What do you think of my new sig image? too big?

[edit]decided it was too big so i shank it by a 1/3 not too sure if its any good still.[/edit]

[edit]changed it again like this one better[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Praetorian
    Animations aren't allowed as far as I recall, possibly because it's hard on all the unfortunate people that are stuck on 56k connections. Or it could be hard on the Boards bandwidth bill?
    Or they're really annoying.
    Originally posted by Kaimera
    wait..sigs disappeared? :-/

ah the joys of the mini-skin :)
    Shut up you, stop playing CM4 and learn your graph theory and Scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by n00binlastplace
    something gave me the feeling that dev didn't like my sig(rn't i a brilliant master detective) so i decided to go with the classic steam updating sig :D

Animated pics are banned.

NOW CLICK THIS LINK TO FIND OUT WHY!

Originally posted by sceptre
    Shut up you, stop playing CM4 and learn your graph theory and Scheme

touchy aren't we :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Kaimera
    touchy aren't we :)
    Well I know you are but what am I

sorry - best I could do on such short notice:)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sceptre
    Well I know you are but what am I

sorry - best I could do on such short notice:)

...got me there.

damn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by amp
    Animated pics are banned.

NOW CLICK THIS LINK TO FIND OUT WHY!

Just a suggestion, but shouldn't the sig rules be on view somewhere more prominent? I was looking for it a while ago and couldn't find it. For instance, maybe there could be something in the drop down menu at the top of the page outlining the rules of boards? The nearest thing I can find there is the FAQ in the right hand corner, but that doesn't mention any signature rules.

Most people if they've been here for a while wouldn't think to go into the newbie forum to look for rules. Most newbies don't even do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

This'll be off-topic I know but:

What should also be put in a more accessible and prominent place should be the benefits of upgrading your account and buying the user package, whatever it's called.

I wanted to take a look at the benefits package for this about 3 weeks ago, and couldn't find it, nor could I find where you bought it.

Maybe a small grey button alongside the user cp one entitled "Upgrade" and brings you to a page where you can read the reasons why this is being offered, the benefits, payment options and the a way to pay for it. It could also be listed in the boards.ie drop down menu at the top of the page as Upgrade info or something to that effect.

Where does one get this info at present out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

That one is here - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99285 but yeah, it maybe should be more prominent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This'll be off-topic I know but: What should also be put in a more accessible and prominent place should be the benefits of upgrading your account and buying the user package, whatever it's called.

Maybe if you could pay with credit card as well, more people would do it. Unless it's major hassle setting that up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

I'd do it if it was credit card too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Read the first post here

It would appear they're working on credit card payments. I'll subscribe when that happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

You're going to pay* for this scandal ecksor....

* Donations to St Vincent de Paul will suffice...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Praetorian

externally linked sig images don't add to boards' hosting costs, as boards isn't hosting the image.
    About the only cost would be that of sending the html string containing the link.
    The site where the image is hosted from incurrs bandwidth costs, as do you when you download it.

externally linked sig images don't add to boards' hosting costs

Yes I knew that. My own sig is hosted externally on my own web site. I think quite a few people use boards to host their pictures / files though.
    as do you when you download it

I'm not capped at home or at work, so the only cost is time (very little of it).

I think the real reason the limits are there is because the admins like it that way ;) Other forums using the same Vbulletin system don't have such strict 'guidelines'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'd rather be stricter on signatures, but that's beside the point. Big signatures are ugly and they affect load time (especially when people host on external sites that are dog slow, which has happened a few times), and the longer the signature the shorter the content of the post in an awful lot of cases. If you want to make a big statement, then use the webspace.

You could accidentally delete them every week! ;);)

I'm used to bigger sig allowances on other sites, I'm not complaining. Bigger sigs are pretty and can be entertaining in my opinion, but it's not my opinion that counts. Ye, the admins, think they are ugly :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Originally posted by ecksor
    I'd rather be stricter on signatures

Jeepers. You just nuked all the sigs we have come to know and love.
    How strict were you thinking of getting?
    Were you going to come around and break everyone's pencil?:D :D

From DeVore's post here
    I cunningly repeat over and OVER again that this ISNT a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,244 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Sigs that are more than a single line of text are just a waste of bandwidth...

I HATE 56K!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

ALL HEIL THE MIGHTY DEVORE! FOR HE IS STRONG!
    ALL HEIL SYXPAK! BRINGER OF THE WORD OF DEVORE! FOR HE IS FROM THE WEST!
    ALL HEIL ME! BRINGER OF THE NEWS OF THE BRINGER OF THE WORD OF DEVo..

AND SO ON AND SO ON. YOU GET THE IDEA. CAN'T BE ARSED FINISHING IT.

Originally posted by Sleepy
    Sigs that are more than a single line of text are just a waste of bandwidth...

I HATE 56K!

That post was an exception.
    It was short, concise and to the point.
    I felt it's brevity added to the effect.
    Maybe I was wong.

Look at the Lan Parties, Technology, HWTeaking and Nets/Comms boards for some of my more usual posts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

SyxPak, I think your signature is the same in all of those posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

I noticed mine was gone but not anybody elses. Very self absorbed, I know. I didnt want to complain or ask Qs cause I get the impression ecksor doesnt like me and he might have done it for fun. Very paranoid, I know.

Sangres sig is something I have recovered however, and I have a lot of peoples sigs as ye probably do too, from surfing ofline.

Sangre:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pr0n surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", I muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ecksor
    SyxPak, I think your signature is the same in all of those posts.
    But the size of my sig compared to the size of my post is in a better ratio.

And the server where the image is hosted is down right now.

Advertisement