Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOOPA-Modem?

Options
  • 24-02-2000 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

Well I've got a hardware modem and I dont get near 100 pings to any server so this modem must be indeed super. Is it external?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Someone (could be Diamond; I'll post when I remember who it is) have a specific "gaming modem" which appears to give decent modem connects for games; it has slightly modified firmware and hardware that is designed to prevent it renegotiating and so on, all of which can lead to PL and ping spikes. It won't shave much off your ping - 30 or 40 milliseconds maybe - but it'll prevent you spiking or losing packets, which sure helps.

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Its a usr 33.6 flashed at 56 with x2, on a good isp with x2 and good server a ping of 95/100 in quakeworld smile.gif then spikes when u shoot

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Rob - Tis 3Com who do the gaming modem. I think you can get em at:
    www.scan.co.uk

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yes it is 3com, but last i heard the isp had to have the hardware to go with the modem. you cant just connect to an isp with the gaming modem and expect decrease in pings unfortunately.

oh. and i thing vorosha was taking the mickey
    bold daire bold

One of Your Imps Does A Great Impression Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

It aint that 3com one but if the 3com one'll give me 100 pings than fair enough.

eamo - i am not taking the mickey, i got it ages ago. the mickey is alive and well and sleeping in my front bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lol.
    thats a first then aint it!

glad to hear your 'little friend' is alive and well and making healines wink.gif

One of Your Imps Does A Great Impression Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

There is a certain type of modem floating around that gives people 100 pings. It's one of those ones that ships with computers. I've come across it afew times now but they never have a name or make on them just '56K modem'.

Whats the story? How many of you have them? Where can I get one? Any info you can give me to aid my little investigation would be much appreciated as this v.ninetaey shipping with my puter will have to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Did you know Elvis called his willy "Little Elvis" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Elvis Presley not Elvis Costello.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Firingsquad did a piece on the 3Com Gaming modem. It has some trivial H/W optimisations that give it a slight edge over standard modems.

Cool: new icons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

WWMan, are you sure it requires your isp to support it ? surely it's just a v.90 modem which does some fancy trickery ?

I went to the 3com site and looked at the specs and no where does it mention that the isp has to support the functionality.

I might go and buy this modem if it means lower pings, cos isdn is out for me at the moment.

Advertisement