Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Marshals?

• 07-01-2004 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Well, what do ye reckon boys and girls? Armed Gardai alongside ye on your trip to Magaluff or however it's spelt? What training will they get? Will the pilot know they are aboard? Will the Tango? Will they be the first to get slotted?
    If so, will you take up their side arm and engage hostiles or sit tight and wait out ?
    With no marshal on board will u take on a "box cutter"wielding terrorist?What if he has a larger knife/pistol/sub gun/bomb?Are u alone or with "significant other", (someone who buys you christmas pressies) or fambly?
    Will a rugby team mosh some drunken langer who cuts up mid flight? By cuts up I mean acts the tit, not actually going Sushi Chef on the cabin crew!
    What do you have to hand as weapons in flight in the event of hijack? The folks on the US flight who decided "Let's Roll" used hot coffee among other weapons and damn near succeded, fair play to them!I dare anyone to listen to the Neil Young song and imagine what they'd do ,not to admire their balls!
    Will you chance a knife disarm?Ue a found pistol?What's it loaded with? Hardball,Wadcutters,BAT Safety Ammo,Black Talons? Can u shoot str8? Under pressure,in the dark.What if you deck a guy and get his knife?Where do you cut/stab to stop a terrorist?Aim to stop or kill?What's it do to your Karma?
    I am playing devils advocate to a degree but how long will it be before you have to plan these responses before boarding a flight in Ireland? We have allowed US warplanes to fly from Shannon.I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the whole world watches CNN and knows we did.This includes the Arab states and their sympathisers, some of whom live right here in Dublin.
    We know security is beefed up in airports , is it enough to make you feel safe?Do you take personal charge of your safety or leave it to rent-a-cop?
    Any replies are taken at face value, please don't just start a flame war,I just want a rational discussion about air travel and safety in these troubled times.
    Thank you all for listening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

what training will they get? a gun maybe... or a big stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I may be a bit arrogant here but would this not better suit the afterhours board? The only thing I can see related to Self Defence is what way would they disarm a terrorist, but you've mentioned guns....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

If the mods feel that it's necessary then they should of course move this thread.
    To address the SD concerns, where do you sit in flight? Aisle seat so you can get up and engage a tango easily?Do you, in your style or as a self study, train knife and/or gun disarms?If u take a knife or gun, do you know how to use one?The fact that I mentioned guns in my original post was brought up.I don't know if we have defense force personnelle on boards, but they would certainly have used small arms.Any Irish Army Rangers on here?See where hostages were taken in Africa lately in a zone patrolled by our Rangers?About 40 of them were dropped on the Bad Guys and all hostages were rescued! Way to go our armed forces!One of the real Elite military forces in the world, and like Delta Force and the SBS, they shun publicity.
    What is wrong with bringing weapons or firearms into an SD forum?Have we all read the reports from Dublin,Cork,Limerick,Nenagh?Every town in Ireland has scumbags and a drug problem.If you'r importing 20,000 euro worth of drugs why not include a couple pistols,a sub gun or an assault rifle?This is a growing reality on our streets.
    Another question, should our Gardai be armed?Or a separate armed force set up?
    I was in Prague lately and there appeared to be two police forces,the usual police (carrying pistols) and guys that looked like riot police wearing black jump suits and carrying pistols,huge side handle batons and often short AKM Rifles.
    Again,I'm not stirring it for the sake of my post count,I want to help people to think about the threats we face out on a weekend and how we will deal with these threats.
    Stay Safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Advertisement