Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car sick

Options
  • 07-01-2004 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello everybody

Looking for tips for a dog who gets car sick.
    When we take him we normally drive with the windows down and stop frequently to no avail
    Over Christmas we took him on a four hour drive and he got sick 4 times
    On the return leg we had to sedate him.
    Any natural remedies/ hints

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Ronika

Our dog used to get travel sickness so the vet told us to take her out in the car on short trips so she would get used to it. Appartently she was just nervous and stuff about the car so as soon as we started taking her out for short trips that gradually got longer she was fine.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Newuser12345

Thank you I will try this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Ronika is spot on there.
    You gotta "break the dog in" when it comes to travel.
    Our pup was bad at the start so we stuck to short trips. Gradually the trips got longer.
    Now we can take him anywhere (within reason)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I understand feeding them ginger helps calm their stomachs, so they don't throw up (at least, not as much)

Other than that, the above is right, break them in gently. If there are kids who get dropped off to a nearby school in the family, take the dog. It worked so well for my last dog that getting him out of the car was the hard part...

Advertisement