Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with fish

Options
  • 07-01-2004 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

does anyone know anything about fish. i have been bought a 2 and a half foot tank that holds 90 litres of water. there are some fish in it. there are 2 silver dollars. and one of them has eaten one of the smaller fish. what i want to know is what kind of fish can i buy that the silver dollars wont eat. i would be greatful for any info i can get as i never had fish before and know nothing about them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Try this?
    http://www.aquariumfish.net/index.html

There seems to be a lot of info on this site!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I don't know what size silver dollars are but we had a problem with mountain minnows being eaten by our goldfish. If you have big fish in the tank they will eat the smaller fish. We had a 3-4inch goldfish and it ate all of our minnows. The minnows are maybe just 1/2 an inch in size. We now have small goldfish 1-2 inches in size and 6 minnows at the last count. You have to have fish that are on average the same or a little bit bigger than your silver dollars and you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noels little bu

thanks i will try that , does amy one knoe the names of fish that i could buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

you may find information in books or on the net. Also ask around in some of the well known garden centres that sell fish or pet shops. If they all give the same info then you can buy fish from the cheapest place. A good pet shop will know and then whatever fish you buy make sure they are around the same size of the ones you already have in your tank.

i never had fish before so i have a lot of homework to do. thanks for the advice mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

hmmm.... swordtails, mollies, and maybe plecos shud be fine.

Basically the rule of thumb is, all fish in the tank shud be of around the same size.

another v interesting "fish" to keep is a "Weather loach", looks like a small eel with whiskers, and has the ability to change colour! :)

B

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

Well first of all silver dolars should really be in a slightly bigger tank, there very jumpy fish so be careful when turning on the light or they will go mental, they will basically eat anything they can fit into there mouths including your plants haha, since theres only two i would recommend trying to give them away and start up a community tank, basically that means fish that dont eat fish :) you will have alot more choice and alot easier for beginners ....

if you wanna stick with the silver dollars then i would proably go for setting up a nice few rocks (toofa rock will help with the PH) or honey rock is just nice, then make sure u silicone them together or they might collapse on your fish then get some chicilids (duno is that the correct spelling) fire mouths and blue acaras and stuff like that are beautiful looking fish but love eating neons etc :) but grand with silver dollars.

As for weather loach they are more natural in cold water tanks so wouldnt recommend putting them in hot water, just like goldfish you can put them in hot water (slowly heat water 3-4 degrees a day) but u speed up there metabolism so they grow twice as fast but die twice as fast (but with a 20 year life span thats not bad haha)
    hope that helps a bit

thanks paul, that was great, i will certainly take in to account what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

give the guys in fishfx a ring or email
    or better still pop out and they'll look after
    you and answer all your questions

www.fishfx.net

Advertisement