Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

screens gone wonky

Options
  • 07-01-2004 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

While reading a thread today in after hours my screen very quickly went frightfully wonky. Thick coloured lines appeared from top to bottom and eventually the whole screen went fuzzy - like a cross between the matrix and a puddle of vomit.

When I restarted the computer it was worse, couldnt make out a damn thing on the screen. Restarted in safe mode and I can use the laptop, although some of the text & icons on the screen still have bits cut off them & generally look as they shouldnt.

Updated & scanned for viruses and found one but repaired it. On restart - same thing again. About to do the same with ad-aware but not holding out much hope.

Thinking it may have been a graphics driver problem I removed the driver and restarted but no joy. At the moment I'm just hoping it's not a hardware problem but that seems unlikely as in safe mode the screen is practically perfect. Any ideas or suggestions graciously accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

if it's only happening in windows then how about totally removing your driver and using the standard vga one to see how it displays?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

well it was a graphics problem thankfully; the nv4_disp.dll file must have corrupted or something. Deleted the file, reinstalled the driver and everything seems to be hunky dory again.

Thanks for the reply moridin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Safe mode is 640x480 @ 60 Hz (and 16 colours - but that don't matter)

So go into safe mode and set the driver to 640 x 480 and 60Hz (and lots of colours) restart in normal mode and see how you go - if still a problem blame video drivers

Else if Ok then up the refresh rate / resolution one step at a time to what the manual recomends - cos it sounds like you have been over driving the monitor (can kill some older monitors)

60Hz will give you a headache after a while on monitors with fast phosphor 72-76 is better and 85 better again - PROVIDED your monitor is designed to take it and able to take it. Resolution - no point in going beyond 1024 on a 17" as it usually don't have enough phosphor dots to give each to a separate pixel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

it still wont take the proper drivers for my card. It's an NVIDIA GeForce 4 but whenever I install the drivers (that I had installed previously and working fine) the bloody machine just won't boot. At the moment I'm on standard VGA drivers which is all fine and dandy until I want to start up a game. I'll have to dig out the cd's that came with the laptop and try the drivers on them.

Advertisement