Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea - Liverpool predictions and yah-booing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I love being wrong.

So do I!!

It's like Phil Taylor from Motorhead put it "if you're a pessimist and things don't work out, well then you're not disapointed!"

Damn, it wasn't pretty, but it was a hard fought win. The sending off of Diouf was indeed a joke, but I do agree with Jonno - his discipline has to improve a lot...

I thought Heskey was imense tonight, even though he didn't score - his work rate was second to none. I did sh*t meself when I saw Traore was starting, but I'd have to say he had a fairly decent game.

As Vinnyl said, if we don't win against Villa on Saturday, tonight will all be for nothing.

Still only 2 points off fourth and a game in hand:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Well played Liverpool I have to say. Yet again Chelsea's strikers failed to score (although Crespo going off after 10 mins was a blow).

I didnt think Hyypia's challenge was a penalty and even if it was it made amends for what was a blatent penalty in the first half imo when Geremi rugby-tackled Heskey in the box and the ref gave a free to Chelsea.

Was quite a night for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I didnt think Hyypia's challenge was a penalty
    No it wasn't, you could see when he was jumping for the header he was trying to avoid making any contact with Mutu

Forgot to say, I also thought Hamann had a great game, very solid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

Quoted by me :D
    I really think Liverpool will come through winners here, Chelsea look a bit off form which gives us a chance. One thing for sure, it'll be a good contest !

Love it when I'm right :D:D

R-N-B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Credit has to go to Liverpool, I thought we were v poor passing wayward at times, Eidur unlucky with volley but he did feck all in the second half. Him and Mutu too similar because they drop too deep.Only Lamps was the one who looked like doing something.
    To be honest I would have given the Hypia challenge Gallas did the exact same at the weekend and a free kick was given.
    Crespo going off after 5 mins was a big blow, thankfully only out for a week.
    Duff back for The FA cup replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Liverpool deserved the win. every time a chelsea player got the ball in the Liverpool half, there was two red shirts on him. Heskey had a cracking game, was everywhere, defending well and first winning the ball and then putting in the pass for Cheyrou to score.

Thought Hamann did his job excellently, didn't get a whole lot of attention because all he did was clean up, get in the right place for pass interceptions and make a few challenges at the edge of the box that were well timed and crucial.

Sami, had a great game again, not too many that beat him in the air these days and he can read a game so well.

So who put money on the pool ? Told ye 4-1 was good odds, put on 20 meself, will be into the bookies in a bit to get the 100 they owe me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

reluctant praise for liverpool's game plan , they set out to stop chelsea playing and did it very well. I was very unimpressed with their unsporting attitude, the pool were happy to time waste once they had scored , Diouf should have been booked for kicking the ball away , twice , (ok , i've had it in for him since his madness with the celtic fans, but he really is a dirty wee b@stard).

Chelsea were very poor on the night, thats the first time Glen Johnson has looked out of his depth and the right hand side against Traore and Cheyrou should have been where we excelled. One thing for sure I'm damn glad Chelsea didn't buy Kewell , he looked distinctly average, maybe he didn't like being called a cheat by 40,000 chelsea fans.

Poor chelsea performance, fair play to liverpool , GH manages to keep his job for another week and Ranieri comes under pressure.

Liverpool did what they set out to do very well and yet you attribute Chelseas loss to them not playing well enough ??

Liverpool set out to stifle Chelsea and did it well. It is not unsporting to kill off a game, it is part of football. If you are one up, you protect your lead and try and get one on the break.

Agreed Kewell was not very good last night but he was better than Diouf. diouf does not know how to play an early ball. Hopefully Liverpool will not appeal the sending off and he will be gone for three weeks :)

Originally posted by growler

Chelsea were very poor on the night, thats the first time Glen Johnson has looked out of his depth and the right hand side against Traore and Cheyrou should have been where we excelled. One thing for sure I'm damn glad Chelsea didn't buy Kewell , he looked distinctly average, maybe he didn't like being called a cheat by 40,000 chelsea fans.

Poor chelsea performance, fair play to liverpool , GH manages to keep his job for another week and Ranieri comes under pressure. [/B]

Glen Johnson will have to stop believing he's Roberto Carlos, its not the first time he has looked out of his depth he was appalling against Charlton, the lad has potential but his positional sense will have to improve though he had to give us width as there was no natural wide ment on pitch.
    Geremi is reminding of Gandhi one good film and then off he goes one great goal and has done nowt, though to be fair he tried more than J Cole yesterday who was v poor tactically inept great skill no brains.

Frank is our Hollins but needs a Hudson.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I have to say when myself and my mates saw the line up our first response was to question how many of that team deserved to be there. It was an embarrasment beside the chelsea line up when you consider the same amount of money has been spent on the two. No full backs, a new zidane, one converted midfielder come centre back, 1 diver(harshly sent off).

Still great battling result and away performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    It is not unsporting to kill off a game, it is part of football. If you are one up, you protect your lead and try and get one on the break.

Its unsporting the WAY the killed off the game - not the fact that they were doing it.
    Kicking balls away etc. Even in the last minute - the ball went out for a throw for chelsea. The ball went towards the liverpool dug out and instead of someone on the bench there throwing it back to the chelsea player, they kicked away from them, thats unsporting.

Liverppol did enough to win the gaem. I wouldn't give them any compliments for it though. Yes they did what they set out to do and did it well - but its absolutely terrible to watch! :)

What I can't understand is why they only do this with the big teams. If they played like that all season against any opposition, i think they would be in a higher position. It'd be a boring league, but they'd get results. They did it well against utd last seaon, and they did it well last night against chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

my 2 cents on Joe Cole : he's not playing smart enough to be in that team. Joe cole seems to think that he's the only person on the pitch, he goes off on wandering runs to nowhere loses possession inevitably and then liverpool had one less to contend with in midfield. Very easy to see why Duff gets in before him every week. I thought CR would have hammered (no pun intended) this home to him by now but he does the same every time he's on the pitch.

BTW it was Phil Thompson who kicked the ball away from the dug out in the dying seconds. Grrrr.

Even the Liverpool fans I spoke to last night said they were happy with the win but amazed that they could play so badly and with little flair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

i also think that glenn johnson was poor,he was put under little pressure defensively but attack wise his distribution was bad.
    im a pool supporter and was relieved when the final whistle went,was a battling performance,would rather see them play with more flair but to get our 1st win at chelsea for 14years is great.
    el crappy dioufs sending off was a joke,it wil prob be on "what happens next?" round in question of sport soon enough,but in saying that i hope he gets suspended for rest of season cos hes useless.

can i just add that i thought mutu was very sinicle the way he gloated to diouf after their laces tangled up,laughing in a guys face when hes gonna be sent off.....ultra professional,although maybe diouf told him how much liverpool paid for him and thats what he was laughing at!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Was HassleBaink on the bench for the match? I forgot who the Chelsea subs were. If oso then I feel that he should have been brough on when Crespo got injured as he always terrorises Liverpool and has a nack of sneaking one past the Liverpool defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    Was HassleBaink on the bench for the match? I forgot who the Chelsea subs were. If oso then I feel that he should have been brough on when Crespo got injured as he always terrorises Liverpool and has a nack of sneaking one past the Liverpool defence.

wasnt even on the bench.................

• Advertisement

Originally posted by uberwolf
    [No full backs, a new zidane, one converted midfielder come centre back, 1 diver(harshly sent off).

Still great battling result and away performance. [/B]

A new Zidane?:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Originally posted by smuckers
    A new Zidane?:dunno:

its called sarcasm. Houllier originally hailed Cheyrou as the new Zidane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I thought Le Tallec is supposed to be the new Zidane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

by the way we can say that cheyrou by his constitution his a look like of zidane:)
    he remind me zidane when he was younger.
    even his face:)
    zidane mechanic body is special, which allow him a cover and a conduct of ball out norm. i think cheyrou has the same constitution. he was pretty brillant when he played at lille.
    why doesn't he play more often, has he been injuried?

Every second half-decent midfielder that comes out of France will be the new Zidane. That includes other countries with big name players.

Remember the might Carlos Marinelli for Boro who was dubbed the new Maradona? :)

Well i suppose he did fulfil that in a way, he was off the pitch more than on it :)

• Advertisement

yes, maybe you're right:)

in france, the only one who is closed to him, is called ludovic giuly from monaco. i think you will hear about him soon if you don't know him already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by tomED
    What I can't understand is why they only do this with the big teams. If they played like that all season against any opposition, i think they would be in a higher position. It'd be a boring league, but they'd get results. They did it well against utd last seaon, and they did it well last night against chelsea.

They sorta done that the season before last and won a few ****ty trophies... Pays off but its Liverpool. Its grand for the relative short term, but the fans want exciting football.

Originally posted by lili

why doesn't he play more often, has he been injuried?

He has been injured all of this season, first he fecked his back up and then he broke a toe. Is only back to fitness now.

that's the reason why he missed few actions then.
    when he will recover his fitness i'm sure he will be precious for the game construction:)

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I thought Le Tallec is supposed to be the new Zidane?

no no le tallec is the new bernard dioméde:D

Originally posted by James R
    Every second half-decent midfielder that comes out of France will be the new Zidane. That includes other countries with big name players.

Remember the might Carlos Marinelli for Boro who was dubbed the new Maradona? :)

does that mean andy reid is the new kevin kilbane??

No for the simple fact that Kevin Kilbane can't be classed as a midfielder :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

interseting how liverpool's votes have gone up by five since the game ended.

Advertisement