Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Agents Good or evil?

• 07-01-2004 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

I ask this with the news that Michael owen looks set to sever ties with SFX after yesterdays frankly daft statement by executive Jon Holmes. I belive that most players just don't need them and thier mere existence disorts the game after all SFX will have played up
    Owens departure prospects as they will make a tidy sum on any transfere. They dont want him as a free agent any more than the Liverpool board do.

Bernie Mandic who represents Harry Kewell made a fortune out of his mans transfere in the Summer and while you can say it was Leeds fault they ended up paying him so much and got so little for a prize asset its not good for the game that these reptiles lurk...

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Football agents have their place. Without them, Joe Soap football player wouldn't have a hope of getting a fair contract out of a club. Look at people like Malcolm Christie - picked up by Derby County while he was working as a shelf-stacker in a supermarket. Do you think he'd have a chance in hell of getting himself a decent contract? No way.

However, agents do seem to often abuse their power in football these days. As an Arsenal fan, I remember the Nicholas Anelka saga all too well, and I'm sure most clubs have had similar experiences.

In summation - a lot of good, and a lot of bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Like any profession theres good and bad. I think the players would be exploited without them by the clubs but as in the case mentioned exploitation by the agents is not uncommon either. I think agents should be allowed but goverened by strict guidlines that makes them act in the best interest of the player at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I have to agree with Mr angry there. There are two sides to it.

I saw on lfconline.com that Owen is rumoured not to be renewing his contract with SFX and instead wants his father to run his affairs.

Also Owen has travelled to the Bridge with Liverpool. Looks as though he will play some part :)

Advertisement