Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Servers..

Options
  • 24-02-2000 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Right,

In all my years of play the beautifull game, ive never ever once complained about how sh1te our servers and connects are. I go off and get isdn and Im still getting crappy connects.

So I say to myself, why not try some other non-irish server and see what kind of connect do yeah get? Woaaaaah. 40. sometimes 30 pings to foreign servers, where as I get 100-120 on the Irish servers. Connects to anywhere but our very own are great!

Like, cmon ta fvck, Im on ISDN, what hope do the poor modemers have with 300/400 pings on their own servers?

Right, so what do I have to do to get a decent server? I'll give a p3 600 with 256mb ram up if this will help, but for the love of god, they were fine till the CTF server was put up/down!

Sorry Cloud/Slosh, I know you both work very hard, what can I do to help ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I have to agree with MP, although I never got a 40 ping outside Eire. Since the CTF server went up the pings to WAR and CFT are in the 130's - 250's on me ISDN sad.gif please do the right thing.

Jimmy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

least you two can play I get pinged out every time i go on the ffa server. but I cam play over seas and kick some ass (mice as well do it some where, as it will never happen here) smile.gif

I pulled the plug on Dublan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Umm, I just got ISDN, I average about 70ms to the IGN Quake3 and UT servers. I get pretty much the same connect to Barrysworld and Wireplay servers also. I'm in Dublin, I'm using an Eircom.net free account with a built-in Asuscom PCI TA.

In theory if I can get a 70 ping to Barrysworld/Wireplay from Eircom.net, my ping should be way lower when I'm connecting to IGN - which is *in* Eircom.net. It is strange that I can connect to servers in a different country quicker than I can to those my own ISP.

Teeth.

[This message has been edited by Dr_Teeth (edited 24-02-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I was playing today on the IGN FFA on a 33.6 modem with 200-odd ping. Not bad. (I remember you complaining bout your ping BTW, MP smile.gif

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Make a small collection MP at Lepercon and maybe get enough cash to get another p3 600. A duel p3 600 server would be the business. I for 1 have no prob giving 10-20 pound towards this one. Anyone serious about playing quake would have no problme parting with 10 pound. smile.gif Just a thought.

Jedi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

ill put forward a motherboard
    cmon , we need a fukoff machine

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

Last night was the worst I have ever seen it, me an few of the lads were on Quake3-2 and man did it such a$$. I had 240 ping (I'm on ISDN in Dublin connecting to tinet), Pred had a fukin terrible ping 400-500, Spoonman kept gettin dissed when he connected and Taz, a SuperLPB was gettin like 160.

Would the answer be to close some servers down, or to restart them every morning??? Can we at least try somethin to sort this out??

juNk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

there is def a prob on the ign q3 servers. to the point where i've almost given up playing on them mid-week, am playing counter-strike instead. it may well be server side.

why not dump ign q3 ffa for a week, and just use the war server, see how it goes? if the q3 servers are on nt, re-boot the server. other than that, not much we can do, good servers cost ALOT of cash.

i've said it before, and i'll say it again, forget the old games, perhaps we could just run 2 half-life, 2 ut & 2 q3 servers?

talking of eircom, i can't get anything above a 28800 connect to it. bull****e ****ing whoring crapy eircom ****s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Predator

ahh well in all fairness i was dialing iol galway and i usualyy get 200-300 so its not a bother to me really, but even so why should iol be so crappy , r they not all owned by tinet now?
    I remeber the days when i could get 230 steady from iol galway , which is fairly playable :/
    G

Daddy or Chips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

230, lol?

wake up dude:>

seriously, everyone all over europe is complaining about how lame 60 ping is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah chris,
    and you might not have noticed that cable isnt standard like the rest of europe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Ok so we all see theres a problem can we get some Ideas going to raise some cash to get a **** fast server. Any ideas. SLosh/Cloud and Ign have did all they can. They are providing a free service to us gamers. Its up to our selves to come up with the solution.

Jedi

Tbh Jedi I don't think thats the solution, lets face it, we're not gonna get the cash to buy a new server, and I don think there are even enough of us to raise £200 by donating a tenner each, never mind £2000.

Yis gotta sit back from it, figure out when the servers were decent an look at whats been changed since then. Again, Cloud - Slosh, we know yis do a lot of work on the servers an we appreciate it loads, please don't take this thread the wrong way.

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

The Tribes, Quake2 and Quakeworld servers should be downed for a time.
    And the resources given over to halflife, Q3A and UT, theres no point holding on to them for old times sake.
    In a case were one of the old game servers is required for a match, something like nog's mythical booking system or such like can be used to start it up and down it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I remember back in the tribes days we offered to raise cash for a 2nd machine and were told that IGN could not accept it yadda yadda.

Think the IGN is great, and Cloud and Slosh in particular deserve a massive slap on the back (and a feed of pints!) for all their work..IMHO we should raise a few hunderd quid and split it between those 2 for the time they have and continue to give (I know there is more ppl involved but those 2 are outstanding)

I have to ask the question of what ER does these days, I know he is the boss, and basically owns IGN but I have only ever seen him on-line a few times in my 18 odd months (or whatever) as an active person around these parts? What happened to the IGN committee or whatever it was called...

REALITY CHECK!!!!!

Do eircom care about the IGN, IMHO not. What do we do for tinet, not a massive ammount, we suck up their bandwith for no big response Who here has a paid for dial up account with tinet..betcha not more than 10 old skoolers at a very maxium....now how much bandwith do we use....do the maths lads, eircom has shareholders and **** now, its not a bloodsucking state body any more, it cant pump money into resourses that give **** all back.

I herd from a m8 in eircom a while back (and told certain ppl in the community at the time), just after the sell off that the only reason they did not ditch IGN was that it was more hasstle than it was worth. We are on borrowed time until we can 'give back' to eircom IMHO, or even sort out a 'backup plan' in case they ditch us.

As some of you know I wont be playing games for a while, I for one I willing to give hours toward even a meeting to firure out our options and thaink about what we can do and stuff. The answer must be community led, not a takeover by one or two lads as what might happen.

Vagga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

errrr the Tribes server is the only 1 we get a goof connect to on ESAT.

Anyway there is a Celtic team (Ireland, Scotland, and Wales) in the Tribes World Championship, so there are load of games being played right now, and having a server for us Irish folk, and indeed the UK lads really is a must these days.

Surly if anything the Quake servers should be closed to help the Celtic Team do well in the TWC.

Least some is us Irish Tribers can stand a chance on the global scene, but you quakers are just trying to pull us back to your level. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by bubbles (edited 24-02-2000).]

tis indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

QW and Tribes use ****a ll network wise, its UT and Q3 that are the real ****ers on servers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Ta bubbles.

d:\cloud\servers>./qstat -R -tbs horsebox.ign.ie:28001
    horsebox.ign.ie:28001 0/20 Rollercoaster 0 / 0 CTF IGN.ie - Tribes 1
    numteams=2,game=CTF,mods=bwadmin base,cpu=450,needpass=0,dedicated=1,version=1.10,gamename=Tribes

errr you left out the admin password there cloud tongue.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I think it's iloveburstingbubbles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Cloud,

RAM sounds like the issue with those boxes. 128Mb is very light for machines with multiple games servers; If 3 more 128Mb sticks could be procured, one for the UT box, one for the Q3 box and one for the HL/Tribes box, I suspect everything would run much more smoothly.

Bandwidth is still an issue, though. Last time I checked, Eircom Net had less overall bandwidth than Barrysworld have... And Eircom are running a full ISP service for hundreds of customers.

The fact remains that the IGN is on sufferance from Eircom. They could pull the plug whenever they feel like it; they owe us nothing, and as Vagga pointed out, the only reason the servers are still there is because it's more bother for them to shut them down than to leave them sit.

The ideas for donating a new box to the IGN are well and good, but it does look like putting the cart before the horse somewhat... I'm dubious as to how happy Eircom Net would be about seeing another IGN box go in to suck up their bandwidth, take up more space in their server room, and generally be awkward.

Sadly, though, the IGN is all we've got. Even if everyone was prepared to pay a "subscription" of, say, £150 quid a year (which is roughly what you were (or should have been) paying to ISPs before they went free), we'd need about 70 people paying that to get an alternative, commercial games service running in Year One; and even at that, it wouldn't be that much cop tbh, and I suspect connects to it would be abysmal.

Ireland just isn't really big enough to support a commercial games service. We're going to be relying on ISP handouts for a good long time...

Ja,
    Rob

Yeah - what he said... Some very good points there Shinji.

What about something done with the NI gamers and BT up the north ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Maybe ESAT would cut us a deal?

They are part of BT now remember, we might see wireplay being introduced to Ireland in time.

Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

what is wireplay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

lol, mp i read the first line and HAD to reply, he who on getting fragged blames the 'llama servers' rofl, irony

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lads,

This is in-hand. Sorry I have been playing this close to my chest but thats the only way to do this, and I'll have to continue like that for a while.
    Prelim tentative negotiations are under way with many diverse people to turn us from being a leeching parasite into an attractive prospect.

I dont think payment (yearly or otherwise) is ever going to work in Ireland and in that regard I agree with Shinji.There are many ways to skin a cat tho.

What I would ask is that people dont muddy the water without alerting me to their activities as there is nothing worse then too many cooks spoiling the broth. I'll reciprocate.

I'm trying to contact Eddie to talk to him about this but to no avail. I've spoken to Cloud but this has only very very recently become even worth discussing.

Synopsis: Hang tight, its being looked at, the usual suspects (Cloud, Slosh, DeV, et al) are up to their usual tricks. Trust us, we've not screwed ye around before. It wont happen today or tomorrow tho sad.gif

I did warn you I was going to change things smile.gif

DeVore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Keep us informed Dev smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Just to add to what Tomsers has said, I met Conor McGovern (Vishnu) today, while picking up our new server. Firstly he doesnt think the problems we're experiencing is bandwidth as we have loads - but he said he'd have it looked into.

Secondly today was his last day, and I only hope his successor is as obliging. Cheers Man!

Next up we've got a new server and all going well should be up and running by the end of next week. Initially QW and a Q3 CA server. It'll have UT and Q2 loaded too, so we can up and down servers pretty regularly - hopefully on some sort of booking system, but thats for later.

Oh yea and as Tom said there are big things on the horizon...

and Snowboarding r0x0rs! Gman Jak smile.gif

B.

• Advertisement

Sweet!

Advertisement