Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Login Problem

Options
  • 07-01-2004 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Did Anyone ever hear of a problem with the Login screen with XP. When i Type my password the wrong charcters appear.

If i type my password in the username part of the login screen the wrong characters appear EG if i type L then 3 appears.

So i can only have my password as blank.. Has anyone any ideas ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

You are using a laptop with an integrated number pad & basically your Num Lock is on.

Cal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Your Keyboard maybe set to a different layout instead of the Irish/UK layout.

1. Go to control panel

2. Select regional settings and set every tab to Irish, this should solve your problem.

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silent Assasin

I think you are bang on the money Cal, Thanks never even thought of that !
    Going to Reboot the machine and Try that

Thanks

Also Thanks for the Suggestion JoePC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Reg settings to get Irish Keyboard Preloaded before you login the first time after a restart
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload]
    "1"="00001809"

Thanks for the reply lads or lasses,

But Cal was right num lock comes on, Does anyone know how to stop Numlock from coming on at the login screen .. its not a setting in the bios as my power on password works so it is defo something in XP

Any Ideas Appreciated !

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315468
    (let's do the opposite)

Open regedit

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard
    Change the value of the InitialKeyboardIndicators value in this key from 2 to 0.

Numlock should be off for the logon screen (and after)now

There's also an individual user setting (in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard) that you can use to switch it on for a user after loging on but if you have a laptop with no keypad you probably don't want to do this

Thanks sceptre

Back in Biz good as new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

It is not recommended to edit the registry to change the keyboard layout.

The correct (and stable) way is to go to Control Panel, and add the Irish keyboard layout as the default one there under Regional and Language Options.

To toggle between more than one kayboard layout, hold down the ALT key and tap the left SHIFT key.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's not recommended to go near the registry anytime - talk about having all your eggs in one basket ...
    You can't ALT SHIFT until you login - hence the preload.
    Even if you change it to default it only affects new users once they have logged on the first time.

And if your password contains non-alphanumerics (recommended) they sorta move or disappear since a lot of factory installs are set to US layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

You can ALT-SHIFT before login.

Try it - install a French layout and an IE layout, and log off the system.

ALT-TAB and you'll have the FR layout, and ALT-TAB again and you'll have the EN-IE layout again.

Additionally all localised versions of Windows install the local language & English, for example, French Windows 2000 will have French layouts as default, and will also have the EN layout as well.

Supported on W2K and higher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement