Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTFS Partition Failure - Help Needed

Options
  • 07-01-2004 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Lately, CHKSDK has been showing up quite a bit when windows starts. I was going to investigate it when I got a chance, but it looks like I've run out of time. My Primary partition on my Primary Master disk (NTFS, 50 GB) is not being detected. Recovery console FIXMBR and FIXBOOT have not helped. CHKDSK tells me "there appears to be one or more unrecoverable errors on your disk"

Booting from a partition magic Cd and selecting partition information gives me : Error 1552 The requested FRS entry is unused (free)

Knoppix won't mount the partition, telling me there is a bad superblock or too many filesystems loaded.

I've looked at some of the advice on NTFS.com and it seems that the MBR is fine, and that the problem may be with either the partition table or boot sector of the partition.

The only changes I made to the computer before the CHKDSK messages started appearing at boot time are:

Installed an extra 256MB ram
    Replaced GF4MX with ATI Radeon 9800SE All in Wonder

Changed system type from ACPI PC to Standard PC to make USB webcam work properly.

Can anyone suggest a way to either fix the partition or safely copy the data off it? Then I can start worrying about why the disk (A Seagate Barracuda V 80GB ST380023A) seems to be failing...

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

did you try a chkdsk in recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Yes - that's where that error message comes from, the disk won't boot, it just tells me "A disk read failure has occurred, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart"

I forgot to mention that WinXP Setup doesn't recognise the partition as NTFS, it shows up as "Unrecognised" in the partition listing (I was going to do a repair installation, but thats not an option).

I have about 15 GB free on the second partition on that disc, about 30 GB available on another disc (most of it is a linux install, but I can wipe it and reinstall, theres no irreplacable files there) so a backup / reformat is an option, if possible...

Advertisement