Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non wap sim card

• 07-01-2004 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭

i bought a o2 ready to go about 3 years ago and the phone was the 3310 i got rid of that phone and bought a sim free 5310 that has wap but my sim card isn't wap enable so i was wondering is there anyway to get it enabled or will i have to buy a new sim card.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i can't imagine what a wap enabled sim is (data access maybe) but o2 should be able to provision you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

All SIMs are WAP enabled- because WAP, traditionally anyway, is simply CSD accessed - i.e. the connection is made via a phonecall- so all the SIM has to do is just that-make a phonecall.

It may not be capable of GPRS or MMS maybe?

Though even that is unlikely- except for MMS in certain phones.

More than likely, as above, you simply need to call your customer care and request your account to be provisioned, i.e. set up, for GPRS and MMS services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It may depend what type of sim card you have. There has been a few different generations of sim card. Older ones are not compatible with GPRS for examples, some with MMS and the some of the really early ones may not support WAP. I am not 100% however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

this new phone (year old) has no GPRS or MMS if u can't remember what phone it is is't the blue nokia with the rubber coating around it which most people think is indestructible (sp.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You have the Nokia 5210 so. The handset is WAP only. If the sim is within 3 or 4 years old, you should be sailing. Just a matter of setting up your phone correctly.

• Advertisement

And keep a close eye on the phone because Nokia actually discontinued it afaik, replacing it with the 5100.

There were a lot of problems with the 5210 holding signal.

In some cases a Software update would cure it, but there were other cases where people went through 3 or 4 5210s having software updated on each, but simply had to choose a different phone in the end...

Oh, and you can send yourself the settings using this link:

http://web.o2.ie/portal/popup/ota.htm

Simply enter your number as it shows, and then choose Nokia, and GSM WAP .

When you receive the settings:
    -Choose Options, Save
    -If it asks "Do you wish to activate these saved service settings?" Choose "Yes". If it doesnt ask, it more than likely does automatically.

Originally posted by Faltermyer
    And keep a close eye on the phone because Nokia actually discontinued it afaik, replacing it with the 5100.

There were a lot of problems with the 5210 holding signal.

In some cases a Software update would cure it, but there were other cases where people went through 3 or 4 5210s having software updated on each, but simply had to choose a different phone in the end...

you think i should sell it cos i was thinking of getting the 6600.

what number does o2 use to dial into wap??

cos downloading them settings to my phone didn't work

ps sry for dragging up old post only got credit today so i couldn't try it when i made the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

my phone says +353868106040 to connect to dial-up wap.

you might need to be provisioned such that you can make data calls from your sim. a call to customer care should fix that for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

Just get the customer care people to see what you're provisioned for. If your SIM is a few years old then you may have a good chance of not being provisioned for CSD calls or GPRS. If you're not it should be pretty quick to sort out.

Advertisement