Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL or UTV?

• 07-01-2004 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

A friend in Monaghan town asked me to recommend a broadband ISP -- broadband as Muineachan - what next :) . It's a two horse race at the mo - but I can't decide which one to recommend , IOL or UTV. Both seem to be grand, but what are people's experience lately? is there much difference between them at the mo.

I've been keeping an eye on the broadband threads here and can't see much that would make me choose one over the other.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

IOL are meant to give better gaming pings i think so if it's for gaming then IOL is the choice you should give him.

if it's just general surfing and downloading then either one will do

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

They both buying the product wholesale from Eircom anyway so they's not likely to be much difference. I use IOL and I'm happy with it but UTV wasn't available when I signed up.

I would probably go with UTV now. They're a couple of euro cheaper and the only way we can get prices to fall for everyone is if new customers choose the less expensive options.

Our ADSL is still twice the price of the main european markets - and don't talk about Japan; you'd cry if you saw what they get for about €20/month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

UTV. They're less likely to f*ck you up the ass when you least expect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

eircom is reliable and fast, but they have a download cap. If the friend is a gamer, i'd recommend eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I'm on UTV and generally very happy.
    But for gaming, I would not recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bluedaemon

I'd recommend IOL over UTV anyday.
    And remember that UTV will want your phone service too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

thx folks - praise be to boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

I'm with UTV and am very happy with it. I'm also big into online gaming and havn't had any ping problems like others mention. It's cheaper, has a better cap and has cheap support calls if needed.
    I dont understand why people have a problem with taking their telephony package with it, what's the problem? The phone rings, you answer - who cares what company it goes through? Maybe I'm missing something but I just dont see the problem.

There isn't really that much of a difference between UTV and IOL though. I think EsatBT also have a new package out, you might want to check that out too.
    Eircom are the root of all internet access problems in Ireland and should be avoided at all cost. Damn sellouts lining the rats pockets further...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

It seems that IOL are now supplying a modem that has ethernet and USB ports. That's certainly a good enough reason to select IOL over UTV in my book (even though ESAT is so badly run that it sometimes sounds as though the staff are being paid by eircom to make esat look bad).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by ando
    eircom is reliable and fast, but they have a download cap. If the friend is a gamer, i'd recommend eircom

ah why?
    They have a cap yes,
    but its less then what Esat offer (8GB) its also more expensive then what Esat offer

Do you dislike your friends or something?

• Advertisement
Advertisement